Virginia is for Lovers

TBurban

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pic got voted off the ship :)

I can't wait to see Richmond's skyline on BOTH sides of the river in a few years....not to mention all the changes coming to the main skyline :thumbsup:

I think one of Virginia's greatest assets is her great outdoors... from the beaches and the bay, to treasures like the Rappahannock and the beautiful James, to her scenic mountains....

One of my favorite pics of the James:

Ric-Raft2.jpg

My pic got voted off the ship :)

I can't wait to see Richmond's skyline on BOTH sides of the river in a few years....not to mention all the changes coming to the main skyline :thumbsup:

I think one of Virginia's greatest assets is her great outdoors... from the beaches and the bay, to treasures like the Rappahannock and the beautiful James, to her scenic mountains....

One of my favorite pics of the James:

Ric-Raft2.jpg

Sorry about that Coupe, I figured it was too big and took a long time to load so I got some smaller pictures.

If any other city skyline photos would like to be changed, let me know!

Crabtree Falls- went hiking here over the summer, its an amazing waterfall that falls all over the side of a mountain. Great scenery and recommended for hiking. it's said to be one of the tallest waterfalls in the Mid Atlantic States. The picture below is the base of the falls. It goes way way up past that.

XE4T0837.jpg

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens- enjoy a relaxing day at one of Virginias famed botanical gardens. Walk the trails around the lakes or take a tropical adventure in the atrium. Visits recommended in the spring where full flower blooming takes place. These gardens are a beautiful place to enjoy nature beauty and still remain close to the City of Richmond.

19868.jpg

I'm definately planning a visit in the future.
You should, Norfolk's botanical gardens is a beautiful place to spend the afternoon. Trust me, you will forget that you're in the middle of the city. Here is the map of the gardens.url=http://www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/ourcollection/gardenmap/gardenmap.pdf]Map

My wife wants to go and I think I will take her there this summer or spring.

Take the kids too they will have a blast. I know mine did.

This will be open by Fall '06. It will be a great addition to the gardens.

Children's adventure garden

You should, Norfolk's botanical gardens is a beautiful place to spend the afternoon. Trust me, you will forget that you're in the middle of the city. Here is the map of the gardens.url=http://www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/ourcollection/gardenmap/gardenmap.pdf]Map

Take the kids too they will have a blast. I know mine did.

This will be open by Fall '06. It will be a great addition to the gardens.

Children's adventure garden

Thanks again Willy! :thumbsup:

Norfolk and Richmond definitely have great escapes like that. The Norfolk Botanical Gardens look great. Do any other Virginia cities have something comparable?

As for Richmond, when it comes to that kind of stuff, I'd definitely recommend checking out both MAYMONT and the LEWIS GINTER BOTANICAL GARDEN.

Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Website

The gateway to this beautiful oasis is the E. Claiborne Robins Visitors Center.

VisitorsCenter.jpg

The Central Garden links the Visitors Center with the Conservatory and the Education and Library Complex. Some of the gardens in the Central Garden include:

*The North Terrace Garden

*The Four Seasons Garden

FourSeasonsGardenTowardConservatory.jpg

*The Healing Garden

HealingGarden_Spring.jpg

*The Sunken Garden

SunkenGarden.jpg

*The Rose Belvedere

RoseBelvedere.jpg

The Central Garden is also home to the Education and Library Complex

Education_LibraryComplex.jpg

and the beautiful Conservatory, an 11,000 sf complex crowned with a 63ft tall dome.

Conservatory.jpg

Also at Lewis Ginter are the following:

The Lora & Claiborne Robins Tea House and Asian Valley

AsianValleyTeaHouse.jpg

Henry Flagler Perrenial Garden

Flagler.jpg

Martha & Reed West Island Garden

View_WestIslandGarden.jpg

Bloemendaal House (circa 1884) and the Nearby Grace Arents Garden

BloemendaalHouse.jpg

The Lucy Payne Minor Memorial Garden

The Margaret Streb Conifer Garden

FallView_Streb.jpg

Vienna Cobb Anderson Meadow

And one of the best attractions: The Children's Garden, which includes:

An international village, activity center, leafy overlook and Tree House, adventure pathway, farm garden, and more!

During the holidays, Lewis Ginter lights up with over 500,000 lights, creating quite an experience:

8a1b0b4060a47e22a489ca90b9172555.jpg

177ad5e2fc4b124c9633ef87af061f69.jpg

As for MAYMONT, it truly is a treasure for the city. Sprawling over 100 acres, Maymont is the city's largest park, and is run by the Maymont Foundation.

Visit Maymont

map.gif

Here's some pics I've taken of Maymont from last summer...

August7Richmond007.jpg

August7Richmond009.jpg

August7Richmond010.jpg

August7Richmond011.jpg

August7Richmond015.jpg

August7Richmond016.jpg

August7Richmond017.jpg

August7Richmond019.jpg

and from January:

Richmond1-16-2006015.jpg

Richmond1-16-2006014.jpg

Richmond1-8-06017.jpg

Richmond1-8-06019.jpg

In any case, it's a wonderful place to check out and just spend hours exploring... great for bringing the kids along too...

Archived