Peace Street

bikwillie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week there was a survey crew surveying the McDonalds property on the corner of Peace and Boylan. Anyone know what's going on? I had thought Boylan flats was going in Behind it. Am I wrong?

I think I read somewhere that they are going to tear it down and rebuild the mcdonalds, so it has a cafe and will be up to date with its new proto franchises. Im not sure though but I think I did read that somewhere.

They are building boylan flats behind it though, then the tucker street condos behind that sort of. So I guess Mcdonalds is trying to get the coffee crowd for all the new residences. Looks to me like Starbucks should renovate as well next to Mellow Mushroom.

Yes, they will raze the McDonalds. You know they gutted it and rebuilt it in 1987???

THIS is the time to close Peace St. and level off that dangerous hump in front of McDonalds. It sets up an extremely dangerous situation for pedestrians and east bound traffic, and people leaving subway and west-bound traffic. I spoke to Mr. Poe who is the CAC head and he said there has been much talk through the years of removing the hump, but the city was reluctant to hurt businesses like they currently are on F-St. Like I said, I think that Subway is the only business that will really suffer. Maybe the City can shut them down and reimburse them for losses??? i dunno.

All I know is that Peace St. has some MAJOR potential. They are getting ready to start a streetscape project, so SOMEBODY has to be willing to suck it up for a couple of months to make it a really cool street.

img_3599.JPG

With the Paramount up and the Glen on Peace planned, I'd love for them to put up a similar project to the Glen on Peace on this lot, but with ground level retail. The views there would be remarkable (bury the utilities!) Granted if McDonald's went where the ground level retail would go, they'd lose the drive through, but at the same time look at how many residents would be in walking distance.

(actually I take the view part back, a 4-5 story building would only have excellent views of the Pararmount). While Peace's walkability really suffers around Capital Blvd/the state government complex, we should really strive to slowly connect downtown to Cameron village. This Mcdonald's is practically at the door of Glenwood South and is only a little over half a mile from Cameron village.

........Yes, they will raze the McDonalds. You know they gutted it and rebuilt it in 1987???

THIS is the time to close Peace St. and level off that dangerous hump in front of McDonalds. It sets up an extremely dangerous situation for pedestrians and east bound traffic, and people leaving subway and west-bound traffic. I spoke to Mr. Poe who is the CAC head and he said there has been much talk through the years of removing the hump, but the city was reluctant to hurt businesses like they currently are on F-St. Like I said, I think that Subway is the only business that will really suffer. Maybe the City can shut them down and reimburse them for losses??? ........

Well, we do live in a fairly hilly city. I guess that's something we'll just have to deal with haha.

I think they could leave the hump and add a flashing signal a few hundred yards up from the intersection alerting motorists to a red light. I've seen this done before at blind intersections. It would only flashes when the light turns yellow and red.

Didn't the Starbucks used to be a Pizza Hut? The inside looks to be ok, but the outside could use a serious facelift.

Mellow Mushroom looks more like a pizza hut than Starbucks does. It would be nice if McD's was rebuilt close to the street as part of a mixed use building. Or with enough room for development around it.

Peace St is part of the larger Glenwood South area which is poised for an explosion.... its just a matter of time.

Starbucks was Pizza Hut and Mellow was the Sizzler. I am not a McDonalds person but I commend them for being a part of Downtowns revival. Heck, the two McDonalds stuck it out when Wendy's and two Hardees closed, not to mention McCrorys, Radio Shack, Hudson Belk, Briggs....all of which were open until the early nineties.....hmm...downtown actually had most of the necessary stuff, including an A&P grocery, until very recently...

^I applaud them as well, but one thing they had that the Wendys and Hardee's didn't was a drive thru. I'm sure that had something to do with their longevity.

As a former Burger King manager (hey I was in college at the time -_- ) I can tell you 50% of fast food sales come from the drive through...on average....some places it even approaches 75%.

That MickeyD's is the worst one in raleigh. Because i live downtonw, i have to go there. I've never not had to wait 10 minutes for my food, and it is managed by a 15 year old. I'm not kidding.

I think that it is a great idea if they tear it down and rebuild, but like mentioned above, it would be cool if it was up on the sidewalk with other retail as well. I doubt it will happen, but it is worth wishing for. I guess that will help the residential around it. I always felt bad for the people that shelled out 300grand for a view of MickeyD's. Oh we

As a former Burger King manager (hey I was in college at the time -_- ) I can tell you 50% of fast food sales come from the drive through...on average....some places it even approaches 75%.

That's always bothered me - because I've found that the drive thru is essentially never quicker than going inside and ordering to-go. There's only one line to wait in, and you sit there spewing exhaust into the air the whole time.

I guess I can understand it for someone with a bunch of kids, since herding the brood in and out of the car and keeping them under control in the restaurant might be difficult. But for your average, able-bodied, single vehicle occupant, using the drive-thru is just plain lazy - like driving around for 5 minutes looking for a better parking space at Wal-Mart, when parking at the back of the lot and walking would actually take less time.

Sigh.

Does anyone know if this is a franchised McDonalds or a corporate one? Either way, whoever owns it should look at what is going on around them and think about being part of something bigger. Why couldn't they do drive through in the ground floor of a parking deck that exited to Boylan? Also, since they announced Chiplote is coming to Raleigh, this could be the first Raleigh location! There already is a McDonalds a half mile or so away in Cameron Village, so why not offer something different? Or a Chipolte and McDonalds with a shared drive thru and second floor dining room/kids play space? I don't like using drive thru unless one or no cars are in line. Otherwise I'll park and walk in, but that's just me.

Six Twelve and Sherwin Williams paint store may be inconvenienced by the "hump removal" but they have to see how the short term pain would be worth it in the long term? There is so much opportunity for the area now... I just hope it comes to fruition.

That McDonalds drive thru could take the prize for the slowest in existence. That drive-thru is taking all the achievements that were made in the drive-thru business and erasing them. It is the most pathetic drive-thru I've ever been through. I prefer to park my car and get out and go inside. I've taken a chair from one of the tables up to the counter to order once because I knew that I was going to need it to wait for my food. The whole staff was laughing and carrying on while nothing was being accomplished.

That McDonalds should be torn down and sold to a developer that will use that tract to work with what is being built around it. just my 2 cents

Well that sucks. I got excited and thought something bigger and better was going there. It's a waste really. Seems like a great opportunity to do something special. But I guess they will want to add the playcube or whatever as quickly as possible and get back to selling burgers.

I guess they get a lot of kids from Broughton and what not, but there's another Whack Arnolds just a a klick up the road.

• 1 year later...

So this McDonalds is alive and well, and the weedy rundown parking lot behind it is still there too, and the purported development across Boylan and next to the Paramount hasn't begun either. What has happened to all the grand plans for the intersection of Peace and Boylan? I suspect something may be brewing, at least on the north side, because the SteakOut has now closed (is the Subway still going?)

Mods: we need a general "Peace Street" topic...can this one be retitled?

Archived