Peace Street

bikwillie

I'm constantly passing by this area of Peace Street and potential is huge. If you combine the old Steak-Out with the current Subway (yes it's still open btw), you have some prime real estate waiting to be redeveloped. There is a 4000 sq. ft. space for lease a couple of buildings down, next to Peace St. Market (7-Even forever for me). You also have the inspection station, which although it's convenient and all, is at a too prime of a location to ignore.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Charlotte last weekend and saw the Chipolte being built in Southend there. It would be nice if they replaced the McDonalds with that, or maybe the Steak Out across the street.

There are a lot of projects nearby on the books in some form -- Boylan Flats, 712 Tucker/whatever they're calling it now, 610 North, and the old Tiffany lamps site, with 222 Glenwood and West at North a few blocks further away. But major rennovations to existing structures will make property owners think twice about full scale redevlopment of the area for years.

I do not think that McDonalds is moving anytime soon. In the past 6 months, I have seen plans to renovate the McDonalds, not sure about the status. I think if we see the renovation plans go forward, this will be a sign that the McDonalds will stay for the foreseeable future. It also appears the bordering sites have stalled, with little (Glen on Peace) and no activity (Boylan Flats) in months.

I think it would be really cool if the site of Glen on Peace was turned into a little pocket park (like the small one on the corner in Oakwood) with benches, maybe a water feature, and a small playground. I fully realize this is a pipe dream, given how much money whoever is proposing that development probably paid for the land...

• 2 months later...
Yes, they will raze the McDonalds. You know they gutted it and rebuilt it in 1987???

THIS is the time to close Peace St. and level off that dangerous hump in front of McDonalds. It sets up an extremely dangerous situation for pedestrians and east bound traffic, and people leaving subway and west-bound traffic. I spoke to Mr. Poe who is the CAC head and he said there has been much talk through the years of removing the hump, but the city was reluctant to hurt businesses like they currently are on F-St. Like I said, I think that Subway is the only business that will really suffer. Maybe the City can shut them down and reimburse them for losses??? i dunno.

All I know is that Peace St. has some MAJOR potential. They are getting ready to start a streetscape project, so SOMEBODY has to be willing to suck it up for a couple of months to make it a really cool street.

img_3599.JPG

There are a couple of examples of McDonalds with drive-through windows in the back already in the Triangle. The location near Cary Town Center at the intersection of Cary Town Blvd and SE Maynard has the window in the back. The building could be moved to the corner and parking could be across the precious drive-thru

lane. Another similar set up is in Durham near the 54/55 intersection (the red building on the SE corner). The drive through could start adjacent to the convenience store next door and empty out to Boylan. Would they be willing to do this if the city helped level/lower McDonalds' site as part of the Peace street "hump shaving" Dana alluded to? Steak Out is gone and that Subway is never that busy.

There were rumors that this McDonalds ignored the Peace streetscape plan and that plan didn't have any teeth because it was a suggestion, not code. So now a lot of neighborhood plans want to be "codified" to keep developers from doing whatever they want.

Why Councilamn West didn't want to give this McDonalds another two weeks in committee, but was willing to let the east vision plan in his own district stew for months in a committee comprised of non-residents is beyond me.

"A McDonald's representative told the council that such designs might be used in Manhattan and Brooklyn but not anywhere else as far as he knew."

How stupid does this 'representative' think we are? I'm pretty sure McD's in Manhattan have NO drive-thrus, are right on the sidewalk, and are even multiple stories. What Crowder and Meeker are talking about with smaller setbacks and a rear drive-thru is all over the place.

"A McDonald's representative told the council that such designs might be used in Manhattan and Brooklyn but not anywhere else as far as he knew."

How stupid does this 'representative' think we are? I'm pretty sure McD's in Manhattan have NO drive-thrus, are right on the sidewalk, and are even multiple stories. What Crowder and Meeker are talking about with smaller setbacks and a rear drive-thru is all over the place.

At the end of the city coucil wrap up story, the Peace Street McDonalds teardown was approved 6-2, with Crowder and Stephenson voting no. Thank goodness the developer wasn't held up any more! The plan added "additional outdoor dining along Peace Street" but I don't think it will be the next Mellow Mushroom or Mo Joes.

• 8 months later...

Not sure where you got that info pack-man. There are several renderings of what the new Mcdonalds is going to look like inside the actual store. It is extremely different than what is there now. It is modern looking with a nice yellow awning. I should have snapped a pic of it while I was there. Maybe I'll go back by tomorrow before I hit the gym and do that. I was told by one of the employees today while I was in there that demo would begin in September, and that the new store would be pushed all the way up to Peace St..

The other piece of news on Peace Street is that Blue Flame Tattoo and Body Piercing, late of Hillsborough Street, has moved to 515 W. Peace to much bigger digs (I think that is the old print shop)...its a couple of doors down from Fallons. Guess they decided they wanted to tap into that Glenwood South vibe...

The other piece of news on Peace Street is that Blue Flame Tattoo and Body Piercing, late of Hillsborough Street, has moved to 515 W. Peace to much bigger digs (I think that is the old print shop)...its a couple of doors down from Fallons. Guess they decided they wanted to tap into that Glenwood South vibe...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I visited the new hookah bar...I think its called Sahara. Its very nice and open to 1 am several nights a week. I think the guy at the counter said it opened Wednesday (Oct 8th). It starts the process of rounding out Peace Street between Glenwood and St Marys. Also the McDonalds is indeed being brought up nearly to the sidewalk. I can't tell if its actual HVAC enclosed space or a very substantial drive-thru but its not your traditional Micky D's. Also, just off Peace, the Tucker..or Lofts at Glenwood, or whatever it ended up being called, is about 2/3 of the way framed as it faces the street. There are some units that will have stoops but the parking garage access is a huge gaping crater. Regardless, this project anticipated the current economy very well,(mortgages all dried up) and putting a couple hundred resident renters in this part of town is still huge. All three of these are what I will call "bridge" projects...they bridge the economic downtown in a way that is still very beneficial to the city core even if big residential and office projects are getting pushed back a couple of more years.

Archived