Hot Metal pedestrian bridge funding presented

Evergrey

I was just at the Hot Metal Bridge yesterday. I was attempting to walk across it so I could take a skyline shot from there... but found that the pedestrian section was not completed! There was still a sign there talking about "future plans for pedestrian bridge" with "Tom Ridge, Governor". Good to hear it's finally gonna happen!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06051/658484.stm

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chucka, great find, yes this is loooong overdue but glad to see Santorum is finally getting the Ted Kennedy-like hang of it (maybe we could have a Pittsburgh "big dig" to be a blackhole of billions of federal tax money any day now) ;)

It's about time. This was supposed to start a while ago. I didn't know they still needed funding. But I am glad they got it and can begin work now. I'll be very glad when I can walk over there for lunch and not have to worry about parking.

It appears that Second Avenue is being reduced to 3 lanes. I find that troubling as it would be a major link to future developments in Glenwood/Hazelwood. I also find the coonection on the South Side a bit cumbersome and overbuilt. It is not going to carry a train just bikers and pedestrians

Yeah, if they really are reducing Second Ave. to 2 lanes... All I can say is YUCK. Traffic there is bad enough sometimes, when there is a line of cars trying to get onto the parkway at Bates Street.

As for the connection to the South Side: The structure is there already. It just needs a floor, to put it simply.

It appears that Second Avenue is being reduced to 3 lanes. I find that troubling as it would be a major link to future developments in Glenwood/Hazelwood. I also find the coonection on the South Side a bit cumbersome and overbuilt. It is not going to carry a train just bikers and pedestrians

It looks like the westbound lanes that will be reduced (if the drawing is to be believed). Reducing the WB lanes on 2nd to 1 lane in that area doesn't really make that much of a difference since the traffic heading onto 2nd all comes off or Irvine and Irvine has only 1 WB lane. I imagine 2nd becomes 4 lanes west of the Hot Metal.

I also find the connection to be cumbersome and overbuilt. I understand the need to enforce the industrial heritage but I think they overdid it. Its a path, not a freight railroad! Also, I think they should paint the entire bridge a different color.

I realize the structure is there, its the approach that bothers me. It could have been more integrated with the river front and not the standard scissor ramp. Just a personal preference

Ah, that. Well, the reason for that is that the bridge is way higher than the ground on that end. The scissor ramp was the only way to connect the bridge with the sidewalk in a way that would be accessible to bikes.

As for Second Avenue... the Wesbound lanes right before Bates Street are very busy at about 5 pm. Most days it is fine, but when the traffic getting onto the parkway gets backed up... Yikes. I have literally waited ten or fifteen minutes to go about two blocks, on some days. If this is reduced to one lane it will probably only get worse :(

That decrepid railway bridge over Bates Street has to be replaced with something wide enough for 1-2 more lanes. The big source of frustration there is that traffic going to Oakland or 2nd Ave is always blocking traffic going onto the Parkway and vice versa. It's horribly inefficient.

As for the pedestrian walkway, I hope they go with something a little more postmodern / art deco and make more of a statement with it than this utilitarian look. Stairwell access on both sides would be nice, too.

As for the pedestrian walkway, I hope they go with something a little more postmodern / art deco and make more of a statement with it than this utilitarian look. Stairwell access on both sides would be nice, too.

I believe they chose that look to match the existing bridge. Can't say I blame them, but of course I totally see your point too.

That decrepid railway bridge over Bates Street has to be replaced with something wide enough for 1-2 more lanes. The big source of frustration there is that traffic going to Oakland or 2nd Ave is always blocking traffic going onto the Parkway and vice versa. It's horribly inefficient.

I believe they are waiting to see how the Mon Valley Expressway ends. I have seen a ridiculous plan that replaces the Bates Street Hollow with a suburban style entrance ramp to the freeway. It was terrible. On-ramps and off ramps flying everywhere.

There is a place in the city where the city ties well with a freeway. Ohio River Boulevard. yes it is a terrible blockage and all that. I refer to the ramp system. The simply fly off and connect to Beaver Avenue and Chateau Street. Simple and logical. They should have extended that system into the North shore the street grid there is ridiculous also, but i digress.

I wouldn't let PennDOT lay out my driveway!

:wacko:

Archived