How did you learn about the Greenville Discussion on Urban Planet?

RestedTraveler

How did you find us?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How did you learn about the Greenville Discussion on Urban Planet?

• An Internet Search (Google, etc.) for a Particular Topic or Subject led me here (PLEASE SPECIFY)
    • I heard about it through Word of Mouth
    • I read about U.P. in a Magazine or News Paper (PLEASE SPECIFY)
    • I found out about U.P. from a Flyer or Brochure (PLEASE SPECIFY)
    • I learned about U.P. from a posting on another forum (MySpace, Skyscraperpage.com, etc. - PLEASE SPECIFY)
    • Are you kidding? Urban Planet is Wicked Famous!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was inevitable. My passion for the immediate and long-term success and fame of the city of my birth has led me to desire and search for any information I can possibly find on the subject - particularly new developments. Before recent years, I pretty much googled most of my searches (today, I use other search engines regularly), and thus found UP on one of the results pages (I had to drill down several pages to reach the UP link, back then). I had never participated in any such online forum, but could immediately see this was going to be my virtual home from then on. The rest is history-in-the-making. I can only thank all of you for your steady contributions and especially Neo for conceiving and creating this opportunity for us to enjoy. Greenville is and forevermore will be where my heart dwells. :D

Found it while doing research for work. I'm glad I did. I always thought it would be enjoyable to participate in a locally-oriented board. I've participated in other boards, but the thing that UP provides is the ability to get as involved as you want to. In other boards, it seems as though they are either chaotically busy, or virtually dead. If the Greenville forum is a little slow, you can always branch out to other local forums for a little more activity.

Obviously Google is the gargantuan gorilla when it comes to search engines.

I would like to offer an alternative simply for the purpose of education and variation: Vivisimo.com

This search engine "clusters" results so you can look at only the sites within specific categories, or all of them at once, like Google. I currently use this one more than any other, because I find better results faster. :shades:

Its been fun to see the progression of the Greenville section. Would you guys believe that there was some objection when we decided to create the Greenville subforum? We've come a long way from the "Greenville Projects" thread :thumbsup:

I think you will continue to see Google as the primary source of finding this site as that is our number one source of visitors.

I think you will continue to see Google as the primary source of finding this site as that is our number one source of visitors.

I did both a "Google" and "Yahoo" search recently, and UP comes up much closer to the top on Google. How do search engines determine where in line a subject comes up?

• 3 weeks later...

I did a Google search last summer for something Greenville-related..."Greenville skyline photos" perhaps. UrbanPlanet was not on the first page of results, but I am so glad I found it!

You'll be glad to know that UrbanPlanet.org is the top site on a Google search using keywords: <greenville highrise>. It has been the same for at least several weeks now. :yahoo:

I did both a "Google" and "Yahoo" search recently, and UP comes up much closer to the top on Google. How do search engines determine where in line a subject comes up?

I am not 100% sure how that works. I'll see if I can get an answer to that :)

Have y'all checked these sites recently? I've been hard pressed to find any links to U.P. for anything where it used to come up near the top almost always.

I have implemented some new technologies that run in the background to help with this issue. A few months ago we switched advertising publishers from Google to Yahoo and just a couple of weeks ago the effects of the switch were being made apparent. Advertising with Google or Yahoo is not supposed to increase your rank according to their agreements but we have found out that may not be 100% true. We are now displaying advertisements through Google once more and have installed a couple of applications to crawl our own pages and put them into an easy to read log for Google to index. Hopefully the changes that have been made in the last few days will show up on Google's search engine rankings soon.

We're definately sorry for the inconvenience and had I known that this would be the end result of switching advertising publishers I never would have made the switch. Know that we are working on the issue however. :)

Archived