New Condo

gah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the smoke stacks connected to the condo project, or are they apart of a structure behind it?

They are part of the old mill and, inofar as I know, will remain as part of the condo project. Only the non-historic parts of mill (ie, more modern additions) are being removed to make way for the original structures. Thus, the stacks -- which are landmarks of DT -- presumably will remain. Not sure about water tower however. I believe that elevations will be availble soon -- showing the plazas, riverwalk, cafes, restaurants, ect which are part of the project. Will try to keep on top and pass along info as this project takes shape.

The water tower is supposed to stay. The smokestacks are supposed to stay also. The are not a part of the same building as the condo project(mill #3), but another building just adjacent to mill #3. The building is in the same complex of buildings. There are two more mills in the same complex (#1 & #2).

• 2 weeks later...

What about the dam? I haven't heard any news about breaching the two dams in quite a while. Anyone know anything about this. Is it still on for later this year or are they waiting to see if ATL takes all the water from Lake Lanier?

I haven't heard anything about it lately. I assume it is still on schedule.

I haven't heard anything about it lately. I assume it is still on schedule.

My understanding is that this is a "done deal" BUT contingent on federal financing via appropriations for Corps of Engineers. (Alot of private funds involved as well, but federal money is deemed crucial).

I believe that the idea was to obtain the federal funding ASAP and that demo would begin at some point this

year. I am not sure what the currnent (no pun intended) status of that is. (Congressman Westmoreland is a

tax-cutter and has stepped on

some powerful Republican toes, so this project may be tied up in politics-- tho he did get funding to

study the removal of the RR yards from DT). Things are eerirly quiet. However, I assume that, since the Eagle & Phenix

project is moving ahead -- and that the decision was made to increase number of condos and to reduce the number of apartments -- that the WC Bradley folks are pretty confident that the river revival will remain on course and that dam dem will occur at some point in the near future.

And what about the Mill b/n 13th and 14th street? It looks like they are starting to do some demo there. They tearing that thing down right? I hope they leave the tower next to 14th st... maybe make it part of the Riverwalk. That tower is as much a landmark in Columbus as anything.

Wassabe, do you know what kind of retail/restaurants are going to go in the new development? What all does it include because I can't remember.

Hmm.. not sure. It seems like everytime I hear about this project all they discuss are the condos/lofts. I know the plan is to put some restaurants there with "river views"... but don't know anything specific.

They would "like" a large (~10,000sq. ft.) restaurant to go on the bottom floor, but nothing is definite right now. AFAIK the area between 13th and 14th is being used for supplies and such. I guess a lot of the future development will depend on the success of the condos.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a look at new brochure for E&P condo. Has some interesting elevations -- which are apparently still preliminary. Plans are to develop in stages with 93 condos first up. Sounds really upscale -- gated access from Riverwalk, security entrance/lobby for owners, new garage, greenspace between buildings. No specific info about retail/entertainment -- just confirmation that it is planned. Will update as I get more info.

BTW, elevations do indicate that water tower remains

• 1 month later...

Announcement in paper says units will be for sale in June.

There was an Open House a few weeks back which I could not attend. Apparently they showed

prospective buyers around and had a promo session. Heard no feed back tho. Anyone hear how that went?

Also is there any word/rumors about commercial tenants? there was some talk a few years back about an entertainment district (bars/clubs/cafes) but that never came thru -- at least on a broadly organized level (tho new places are scattered around DT) I wonder whether E&P site will be a magnet for such amenities (with its in-resident client base and proximity to CSU student population)? Would be a good site for that -- especially if and when the white water project comes thru (prelim funding approved by House Committee this week -- fingers X'd for Congressional approval and subsequent funding)

• 3 weeks later...

The meeting was a presentation of the project. I believe the units will go on sale to the public around the end of this month, but I am not sure about the dates. Ideas about commercial tenants, but none actually signed up right now.

The meeting was a presentation of the project. I believe the units will go on sale to the public around the end of this month, but I am not sure about the dates. Ideas about commercial tenants, but none actually signed up right now.

I was by there this past weekend. Did not appear that much progress had been made -- on outside at any rate. I hope that the project is on track. Look forward to hearing about the restaurants, etc but I guess that that will be something that is announced closer to opening of residential units -- tho a slte of up-scale amenities would probably be a selling point, so the announcem,ments may come sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

Open house for the public is scheduled for June 24 - 25.

Thanx for the info. I will be down this weekend and will try to get by if I can.

If so I will give a firsthand report. The exterior is still pretty ratty looking. Wonder what it

looks like from the inside?

I did make it to the open house yesterday. It is still very much a work in progress and requires a good deal of imagination. But my assessmeent is that it is going to be spectacular! Standing on the bridge between the mill and the powerhouse I saw turtles and catfish swimming in pools near the bank and blue herons standing on the rocks mid-river "fishing" -- meanwhile the water was crashing over the dam and the whole scene was unique in an urban setting.

Had the good fortune to run into Matt Swift, the head of WC Bradley Real Estate. He said:

About 40-50% of units already "reserved"! Ground floor will have 2 restaurants (upscale but unnamed) and retail (upscale grocery and other amenities). Water tower stays and will be "spiffed up" (ie, painted). Construction starts in August -- first units availabe next summer. Riverwalk extension to begin in a few weeks. Remaining buildings (2 mills and boiler house) slated as residential at this time (but subject to change) Property north of new bridge will be developed in next 2-3 years and plans are being consideered for residential, commercial, office and/or a combination thereof. The powerhouses will be revamped and used as observation points for river views (not sure whether access will be limied to tenants or available to Riverwalk). In addition to this site, WC Bradley has long range plans to add retail/commercial/office building along the 1200 and 1300 blocks.

In sum, I real think that -- in the next 5 years -- DT will be transformed. WC Bradley is -- along with AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike, etc -- a real asset to Columbus!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived