New Condo

gah

Does anyone know what's going on with this project? It seems that it has suddenly slowed to a crwl. No progress has been made in weeks, at least on the outside. Phenix City announced it's new condo development across the river and I believe the Bradley Company needs to be first out of the gate.

Been wondering the same thing. Absolutely no progress on outside. Suppose that could be

proceeding with internal construction but would be nice to see some external evidence of progress.

I wonder if sales have stalled? A wonderful concept but it is a little pricy for the market. If I hear anything I will pass along but right now I have no clue.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I walked through the Mills the other day... there is no sign of construction. No trucks, no equipment, nothing... The only signs of anything going on is the extension of the riverwalk. They are building a retaining wall that will connect to the existing riverwalk. Looking at the path of the riverwalk extension, it goes behind the retaining wall for the dam there. You won't be able to see the river unless it somehow connects it to the Eagle/Phenix project. I think I read somewhere that they were going to take the old powerhouses and convert them to vista points for the river. It will be interesting to see how all this comes together...

I walked through the Mills the other day... there is no sign of construction. No trucks, no equipment, nothing... The only signs of anything going on is the extension of the riverwalk. They are building a retaining wall that will connect to the existing riverwalk. Looking at the path of the riverwalk extension, it goes behind the retaining wall for the dam there. You won't be able to see the river unless it somehow connects it to the Eagle/Phenix project. I think I read somewhere that they were going to take the old powerhouses and convert them to vista points for the river. It will be interesting to see how all this comes together...

Does not sound promising. I will try to find out something when I am down this weekend. I do know that there will be a panel discussion on Nov 2 (sponsored by CSU, I think) regarding recent textile mill renovations. Matt Swift of WC Bradley will be on panel, so may be we will learn something more about condo progress (or lack thereof) then.

Meanwhile, work on riverwalk is good news. And, yes, the old power houses are supposed to be lookout points and maybe bars/cafes at some future time. They really have spectacular views -- when I was there in June at the open house I saw turhes swimming in the calm waters along the bank and blue herons fishing off the rocks mid-river. A perfect site for enjoying the view and a drink! I really hope that this project comes together. WC Bradley is a top notch company so I am fairly confident of eventual completion, tho becoming less confident in the original projected date for it to come on line.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yet another high-rise (11 stories) condo announced for DT Phenix City along the river across from the E&P and close to the already announced Phenixian.

No elevations yet but sound super nice with retail and a rooftop restaurant. Interesting that the highrises are going to PC -- but then the lower taxrate is the draw I am sure. At any rate the location along the river makes the new building(s) welcome additions to the Columbus skyline since all that separates the cities is teh river itself.

Information from the Ledger-Enquirer:

Phenix high rise planned

Will be second high-rise development on riverfront

Michael Wood, president and chief operating officer of the Washington-based Tri-State Investment Group LLC, had been working on a local project when he asked about other investment possibilities.

From the question arose the latest chapter in the story of growth on the Phenix City riverfront.

"What's going on in the rest of the city?" Wood asked a local realtor. "Are there properties available that a small company like myself might be interested in?"

After viewing a few sites, the developer was shown the Phenix City riverfront and immediately fell in love with its potential. "We realized that this would be a great opportunity for a small company like ourselves to cut our teeth on the development side," he said. "We then brought the positive players around to make this work."

The result is Phenix Rising, the second high-rise mixed-use development planned for the western Chattahoochee River banks. The 11-story development is designed by local architectural firm Andras, Allen and Star and is expected to cost between $27 million and $30 million. Tri-State Investment officials believe construction could begin as soon as August.

Last month, Ronnie Gilley Properties of Enterprise, Ala., presented the final architectural drawings for the initial condominium/commercial development on Phenix City's riverfront, The Phenixian. The Gilley development is expected to cost about $35 million with construction also expected to begin within the next few months.

Phenix Rising will have 122 units in six categories -- 26 economy, 46 premium, 15 city economy, 21 luxury, four luxury townhouses and 10 penthouses. The site has excellent sight lines both north and south along the river. The bottom floor of the building will have 7,000 square feet of retail space. The balance of the building will include 168,520 square feet of residential space and 4,000 square feet of amenities.

It will have a cafe and a rooftop restaurant, with a terrace overlooking the Phenix City Riverwalk and the river.

"This project's announcement is as big as The Phenixian," said Phenix City Mayor Jeff Hardin. "It also supports and helps validate our decision to spend public money on these infrastructure improvements.

"To think that people are going to spend this amount of money in our city is a good feeling. This is huge, probably the biggest investment in Phenix City history."

April will mark the fourth year of existence for Tri-State Investment, which has been constructing and renovating small residential homes in the D.C. area and other parts of the country. This is their first venture into property development.

"Like many of us do in this business, we started out very small. Slowly over the last two years we've graduated from basements and decks to residential work," Wood said. "This represents a departure from the residential side more to the development side. As we've gone down this particular path, we've just decided that we'd like to go more toward development than construction."

Joining Wood in Columbus for talks on the project were Tri-State business manager Kenny Strachan and Arnold Martin of Absolute Lending & Mortgage LLC of Fayetteville, Ga., which will arrange the financing for the project. Also on hand was Chris Hirst of Clark Benning Builders, who will be the general contractor for the construction of Phenix Rising. Clark is the construction firm involved in constructing new housing at Fort Benning.

The land for the project will be purchased from local resident and developer Mike Osman, who owns all the riverfront property between the 13th and 14th Street bridges except for the former Davis property, the southeast corner lot at the intersection of 14th Street and Third Avenue in Phenix City. Ronnie Gilley Properties is developing that parcel separately from The Phenixian, including a restaurant.

Sam Andras of Andras, Allen and Starr has worked with Tri-State for more than a year designing the development. He believes the finished product will be just like the river -- an excellent combining of the past and the future of Phenix City.

"Their vision is to create a building for Phenix City that echoes the past and the history of the city," Andras said.

Wood, who had been working with Osman for about 18 months on the project, said he expects 90 percent of the work on Phenix Rising to be done by local firms, "keeping the money in Phenix City."

The developers are hoping to have a green building by earning a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Development) certification. They are exploring alternative methods to provide power for the building.

Yet another high-rise (11 stories) condo announced for DT Phenix City along the river across from the E&P and close to the already announced Phenixian.

No elevations yet but sound super nice with retail and a rooftop restaurant. Interesting that the highrises are going to PC -- but then the lower taxrate is the draw I am sure. At any rate the location along the river makes the new building(s) welcome additions to the Columbus skyline since all that separates the cities is teh river itself.

• 3 weeks later...
I read that article in sundays ledger, but it was an april fools joke associated with the waterslide that would go into the white water rapids in the chattahochee river even though i have not seen a rendering of the second highrise yet i heard it will only be 11 or 12 stories and the phenixian is suppose to be about 10 stories i believe

Yes -- that was T. Chitwood's tongue-in-cheek April Fool column about the "Phoencian" (not Phenixian) at 13th St Bridge (not 14th St Bridge).

Otherwise not heard anything more. Am sort of hoping that we might gin up a case of "size envy" where the two proposed condos try to "one up" the other for bragging rights to become the tallest.

Heard that the new one is being designed by the same firm that did the Cunningham Center at CSU and the new DT YMCA that is going to be built. Both of those are have different styles than your typical Columbus Architecture (enough red brick.. really...) so I'm looking forward to what the new condo is going to look like.

That would be 2WR/Andras, I believe. A really good innovative firm. Design should be very cool. The Phenixian is being designed by Hecht Burdeshaw (disclaimer: have close personal connection with HB) which is a more traditional firm. So the contrast between the two should be dramatic. I am also looking forward to seeing elevations. I cant help but wonder whether the lack of elevations to date signifies that "new" condo (for lack of a name) is waiting until Phenixian is underway so that it can then announce that it is going to be slightly taller. Wishful thinking on my part maybe, but I can dream! What I am also looking forward to is a mock up of what the DT Columbus skyline will look like when the two new condos get built.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived