Do you have an 'endgame' when it comes to DT GR?

GrandRiverCityKid

Do any of you have a 'final' piece that would finally make you sit back, relax, and realize Grand Rapids has 'made it'. An 800' scraper, world recognition, a pro sports team, top 20 population, self-sustaining DT, a # of Fortune 500s, or certain awards? Anything?

For me, being able to succesfully support a NFL franchise would probably make me smile and finally be satisfied with GR. That said, it would mean including all of the things that would be needed for an NFL team. I know, I know, I may never be satisfied, but a dreamer can dream...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rizzo made a post about that very subject:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...=15120&st=1160#

The list said GR could 100% support any pro sports franchise other then an MLB franchise. (which still was at 59%, higher then Portland is)

But the capstone to GR will be infill. When Mercantile Bank out on Leonard doesn't stand out as much along 131 ;)

Do any of you have a 'final' piece that would finally make you sit back, relax, and realize Grand Rapids has 'made it'. An 800' scraper, world recognition, a pro sports team, top 20 population, self-sustaining DT, a # of Fortune 500s, or certain awards? Anything?

For me, being able to succesfully support a NFL franchise would probably make me smile and finally be satisfied with GR. That said, it would mean including all of the things that would be needed for an NFL team. I know, I know, I may never be satisfied, but a dreamer can dream...

Probably never. I just don't seem to have that kind of personality :blush:

Probably never. I just don't seem to have that kind of personality :blush:

I agree that the city should never stop changing if thats what you mean :P

but I think GRCK means what puts GR into the echelon of national exuberance? Calder started it I guess you could say, but what would take GR beyond that? a giant tower, a pro sports franchise, a global company located DT? theres lots of potential dealbreakers that turn GR from a slightly larger Des Moines into a whole new category.

GR is 27th in population, I think another possible capstonge would be the merger of GR, Wyoming, and Kentwood. Ending centuries of strife and conflict by bringing together the elements, and putting GR even higher on the map

I am a firm believer that the only way to know if something has "made it" is when people not involved or attached start talking about it, or think about it, or write about it, in a consistent manner. In other words, in means nothing in the larger scope of things if we think that we have made it or are making it. We will know when we are making progress when outside folks take notice of Grand Rapids. And we are not even close, yet. Case in point: The Weather Channel still does not include GR in its regional maps. And since Madison, WI and other likesized cities get even this small recognition, we may want to just accept the fact that we are "not on the map" yet. :D

The Weather Channel still does not include GR in its regional maps. And since Madison, WI and other likesized cities get even this small recognition, we may want to just accept the fact that we are "not on the map" yet. :D

I think that has more to do with the fact that putting "Grand Rapids" on that map would interfere with Chicago and Detroit on the map. If you look even the local channels dont put Grand Rapids on the map, but rather they will put their logo where GR belongs.

OK, I can play GRCK:

- In 2032, Grand Rapids hosts the SuperBowl or the NBA Championships

- I take the Grandkids and we jump on the high-speed light rail system from our house on the East side (of course, we have to wait in line because it is that crowded) downtown to the stadium/arena

- We get downtown and they have closed off all the streets like they did for the Grand Prix, and ESPN, NBC, - ABC, and every other major network have their "base operations" at the corner of Pearl & Monroe

- There are so many people you can hardly walk

- No historic buildings have been torn down, and no major work needs to be done because downtown looks that good anyway

- We go to my "corporate suite" in the arena where we have the whole spread layed out :shades:

- After the game, we head over to the entertainment district and meet the rest of the family at the virtual arcade

- We end up at our 27th floor condo overlooking the Grand River where we have a post-game party. The Superbowl MVP stops by and pays us a visit. :rofl:

That would be a good day for GR and I would be completely satisfied. :D

For me, I think of it on a Michigan-wide scale. That being if Grand Rapids were ever to successfully operate a mass transit system (such as light rail and energy-efficient buses) that it would set itself above every other place in this state in saying that, "we welcome all people to our city and region. Here in Grand Rapids, we offer you accessibility to our outstanding quality of life whether you are priveledged to own a car or not. We plan for everybody and are not exclusive, which is reflective of the failure of most Michigan cities."

If there is any city that is going to make the righ moves in Michigan, it is Grand Rapids...I say this with some unease being I am not a Dick D. fan. ;) lol

I'd like to think I'll never be satisfied. BUT when the time comes that I can live d/t and not have a car, get all lifes essentials (food, clothing, medicine/care, entertainment of various kinds).. Using my own foot power, or a quick and easy mass transit system. THEN I will be happier.

OK, I can play GRCK:

- In 2032, Grand Rapids hosts the SuperBowl or the NBA Championships

- I take the Grandkids and we jump on the high-speed light rail system from our house on the East side (of course, we have to wait in line because it is that crowded) downtown to the stadium/arena

- We get downtown and they have closed off all the streets like they did for the Grand Prix, and ESPN, NBC, - ABC, and every other major network have their "base operations" at the corner of Pearl & Monroe

- There are so many people you can hardly walk

- No historic buildings have been torn down, and no major work needs to be done because downtown looks that good anyway

- We go to my "corporate suite" in the arena where we have the whole spread layed out :shades:

- After the game, we head over to the entertainment district and meet the rest of the family at the virtual arcade

- We end up at our 27th floor condo overlooking the Grand River where we have a post-game party. The Superbowl MVP stops by and pays us a visit. :rofl:

That would be a good day for GR and I would be completely satisfied. :D

I can see it now:

Grand Rapids Mammoths win Super Bowl LXVI 35-28! defeating the instate rival Detroit Lions

The Grand Rapids Mammoths defeated the still superbowl winless Detroit Lions in what has been called "The Battle of I-96" Detroit came in as the heavy favorite this season to win it all after loosing in the NFC Championship 9 times in 10 years. But the final score spoke for itself, with Mammoth's veteran hero Tom Brady Jr. throwing the touchdown pass to Michael Sanders in the 4th quarter. The Teams owner said He couldnt be more excited about it, and that this was a cornerstone in the owngoing community growth that the family has been working on for generations.

The Superbowl MVP was awarded to WSLB Lewis Bentley as he accumulated 15 sacks in the game, a new record for Superbowl sacks. His efforts kepts Lions QB Gerald Harrington to 30 yards passing in the game.

It was also the first time the Superbowl was hosted in the same city as the home team participating in it. The Meijer Dome put on a good showing though, and the 70,000 capacity facility was put to good use. Tickets were going for nearly one million dollars a seat in some of the better locations, it was rumored one seat at the 50 yard line in the first row went for 1.2 million dollars.

GR's richest man (who refers to himself as GRDad) held a post superbowl party, which brought in Tom Brady Jr. to the JW Marriott Alticor Hotel, Brady was seen leaving the party with a camera, and some undisclosed bottles.

I think that has more to do with the fact that putting "Grand Rapids" on that map would interfere with Chicago and Detroit on the map. If you look even the local channels dont put Grand Rapids on the map, but rather they will put their logo where GR belongs.

They put Musckegon on the Regional map. Does the spacing and location of Muskegon really make it a better candidate? :blink:

Grand Rapids Mammoths win Super Bowl LXVI 35-28! defeating the instate rival Detroit Lions

The Grand Rapids Mammoths defeated the still superbowl winless Detroit Lions in what has been called "The Battle of I-96" Detroit came in as the heavy favorite this season to win it all after loosing in the NFC Championship 9 times in 10 years. But the final score spoke for itself, with Mammoth's veteran hero Tom Brady Jr. throwing the touchdown pass to Michael Sanders in the 4th quarter. The Teams owner said He couldnt be more excited about it, and that this was a cornerstone in the owngoing community growth that the family has been working on for generations.

The Superbowl MVP was awarded to WSLB Lewis Bentley as he accumulated 15 sacks in the game, a new record for Superbowl sacks. His efforts kepts Lions QB Gerald Harrington to 30 yards passing in the game.

It was also the first time the Superbowl was hosted in the same city as the home team participating in it. The Meijer Dome put on a good showing though, and the 70,000 capacity facility was put to good use. Tickets were going for nearly one million dollars a seat in some of the better locations, it was rumored one seat at the 50 yard line in the first row went for 1.2 million dollars.

GR's richest man (who refers to himself as GRDad) held a post superbowl party, which brought in Tom Brady Jr. to the JW Marriott Alticor Hotel, Brady was seen leaving the party with a camera, and some undisclosed bottles.

:rofl: Priceless! Absolutely priceless!! :rofl:

One point for me and it dosent involve developments, skyscrapers, or even light rail... is racial/lifestyle acceptance. I think if we all come together, sit down, shake hands and say "hey" were not at all that different, then something might just get done. Thats not to say that 'stuff' isn't getting done, but this degree of change must occur at this pace.

Some people tend to equate GR as the most racist city or a racist city, if it is infact, then maybe we can capture the hearts and minds of folks by saying to everyone that we will no longer accept hate. I mean not just GR but the suburbs, if all of us can just do that one thing everyone will take notice.

This shouldn't be some hippie liberal pipedream, but a common understanding to show compasion between eachother.

One point for me and it dosent involve developments, skyscrapers, or even light rail... is racial/lifestyle acceptance. I think if we all come together, sit down, shake hands and say "hey" were not at all that different, then something might just get done. Thats not to say that 'stuff' isn't getting done, but this degree of change must occur at this pace.

Some people tend to equate GR as the most racist city or a racist city, if it is infact, then maybe we can capture the hearts and minds of folks by saying to everyone that we will no longer accept hate. I mean not just GR but the suburbs, if all of us can just do that one thing everyone will take notice.

This shouldn't be some hippie liberal pipedream, but a common understanding to show compasion between eachother.

I know a lot of people equate GR with "Quiet Racism" while I don't think this is true of the city proper, or even the nearby burbs (Kentwood, Wyoming, Walker) I think this is a pandemic of the Rockfords, Comstock Parks, Casscades, and Adas of the area. These communities it seems are what most people think of when creating an impression of Grand Rapids.

Thats why I think merging Wyoming, Kentwood, and Walker (Which were created to stop Grand Rapids from annexing adjoining lands) with Grand Rapids would do a lot of good for the area. Sure it wouldn't increase the population any, but it would go a long way to changing the way the community is percieved, maybe even causing a few of the undesirables in those communites (a.k.a The Quiet Racists) to move out to disassociate with Grand Rapids and move out further! Let em move to their Zeelands and their Cutlervilles, we dont need em!

I have witness a racist change heart. Now he knows more people of color then I can count on my hands and feet. We have to create a city that nurtures understanding. You can't expect racism to go away if all you want to do is throw the bat at them and push them furtur out of existance. We don't need thoes folks who don't understand because of fear and loathing to just fear and loathe in Zeeland. We need them or thoes alike to come here understand and learn, take this understanding back to where they live and spread compassion for folks who are not right.

On another note,

I think: infill, light rail,skyscrapers (keeping skyscrapers out of the West Side, River House is it, thats it no more... ) Will make me feel good.

A blow horn and siren to all of us UP-GR folks. We need to rally on Calder Plaza for all thoes things that will make us better. But, its my nature to never feel settled, I always have to go back and look at things to make them better.

In order:

- It's more convenient for me not to own a car.

- Surface parking lots do not exist in the area bordered by Wealthy- Leonard and Layfette-Lexington.

- Photographs of a demolished Vanderburg Plaza are archived at the museum.

- Segway parking meters are installed on Monroe Center. (j/k :lol: )

There was a Real World Austin I believe, that pretty much killed that show's factor in deciding trendiness :P

Are you kidding? I haven't seen the show, but I have been to Austin. It's really a great city, something Grand Rapids could aspire to. It's only about twice as large as Grand Rapids so it's not that far out of reach either.

-nb

Are you kidding? I haven't seen the show, but I have been to Austin. It's really a great city, something Grand Rapids could aspire to. It's only about twice as large as Grand Rapids so it's not that far out of reach either.

-nb

I never liked Austin, although its not as bad as Florida.

Archived