Who moves first?

snoogit

Big and large, going downtown.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which company is most likely to move DT?

• Meijer
    • Alticor
    • Perrigo
    • Gerber
    • Steelcase
    • Haworth
    • Gentex
    • Wolverine WW
    • X-rite
    • Other

I think it's a bit strange someone voted in this thread today, and I think it was someone other than "the one & only". :huh: It was probably 15 - 20 pages back, and you certainly couldn't find it doing a search for anything of interest.

Just about the same time that the story about the downtown cow came out...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only two canadates come to mind.

1. Meijer. The coporate heads are currently attempting to grow the chain by 2 or more stores a year for the forseeable future. Therefore the need of a new HQ or atleast an expansion to the existing one will arise in due time. A downtown presence would be very nice for Meijer. A 12 billion dollar company that's growing would make for great tax revenue for GR. Although Walker would not be too happy to lose Meijer.

2. Alticor. (My vote) I've learned that they own the huge surface lot on Fulton and Market. So they have a big chunk of land in DT that could accomadate a very nice looking tower. What a way to add a bit of class to the company by having a DT HQ that would beat out River House as the tallest building in Grand Rapids.

I think it's a bit strange someone voted in this thread today, and I think it was someone other than "the one & only". :huh: It was probably 15 - 20 pages back, and you certainly couldn't find it doing a search for anything of interest.

I don't see meijer moving any time soon. Last I heard, they wanted to build 9-12 new stores a year. The 2 new stores plan a year was before they started going after Walmart so aggressively. Also, they have a lot of office space left. I had a friend that got let go several years ago when they were cutting back on corporate employees and said that left alot of empty space. I work at Alticor and it's hard to say if they'd move their HQ to downtown. I wouldn't rule it out though. They are doing really well financially and from my experience I can tell you they do like to spend money.

Archived