163 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get this out there and see what the early returns show in our forum.

I didn't vote, because I'm torn. I'm a democrat who despises DeVos on education, woman's rights, religious diversity, and my general hatred for Betsy...but I also feel like he'd help pour a lot more into W.Michigan. And as a guy with investments in DT and near DT GR...it's a tough call.

Yeah that's a tough call, I try to be in the center when it comes to politics. When it comes to the economy, I feel the Jennifer Granholm is trying. You can't put the current state of the economy on her administration. I think you can't place it on the last few administrations. What we are in took decades to construct. I don't agree with her policies when it comes to business. I don't think the atmosphere she has created is condusive to growth. I don't know that much about Dick Devos, I'm sure he'd have a much more business friendly approach, and most definately pay more attention to Western Michigan. But his families notoriously neo-conservative social stance, would compell me to vote against him instantly. Although, the neo-cons are mainly concentrated on the western side of the state, in only a few counties. If he wants to win, he'd have to move to the center to appeal to the states vast, moderate majority. If that were the case, I'd consider voting for him.

wow i'm full of hot air

Any lingering hope for Granholm flew out the window when she vetoed the bill that would make Kent Co. eligible for that federal transportation grant.

DeVos would do great things for GR, and make sure that W. Mich gets its fair share of the pie instead of the eastside and the abyss of Detroit hogging all of the resources.

Yeah that's a tough call, I try to be in the center when it comes to politics. When it comes to the economy, I feel the Jennifer Granholm is trying. You can't put the current state of the economy on her administration. I think you can't place it on the last few administrations. What we are in took decades to construct. I don't agree with her policies when it comes to business. I don't think the atmosphere she has created is condusive to growth. I don't know that much about Dick Devos, I'm sure he'd have a much more business friendly approach, and most definately pay more attention to Western Michigan. But his families notoriously neo-conservative social stance, would compell me to vote against him instantly. Although, the neo-cons are mainly concentrated on the western side of the state, in only a few counties. If he wants to win, he'd have to move to the center to appeal to the states vast, moderate majority. If that were the case, I'd consider voting for him.

wow i'm full of hot air

Actually the Neo-cons are setting up shop in Detroit suburbs like Troy and Novi, and other such cities. Tradi-cons are more or less based here in West Michigan. This is why I think your seeing a gradual shift towards left-ward in this area.

DeVos just has too much baggage with his connections to Alticor. I hate to say it but sometimes philanthropy isnt just for the good of the community, sometimes its to distract people from the bad things and drive attention elsewhere.

I think my concerns were made clear in MLUI's article. :)

Seriously, I think most if not all of you really care anyless about what I think... But - I think that Devos won't be able to any better of a job the Granholm if the Dems take back the house/senate. If the Reps keep their hold on everything then I can see Devos having a better time at passing legislation. To think a business man can succesfully run a State just because he has boardroom experience really dosen't say much. The boardroom of a private company is my way or the highway. In a demoractic office, you can't just say this is what goes, screw the people-- your fired.

At this stage I will not vote. Until Devos says something about transportation and public school funding issues, I will not look his way for one second. LADave says it best, Granholm for a lack of a better word, just "porks" us.

Its not like it matters, Devos 45% Granholm 55%...

The problem I have is that people put the blame on Granholm's doorstep for what she inherited, but give Engler a free ride. But then they give Bush a free ride, and blame the current economic problems on the Clinton administration. Seems kind of unfair thinking to me.

I can't see the Clinton connection myself either, I mean you don't pull a 180 on national economic philosophy without some major overhauling, and thats what heppened. The reprecussions are still being felt. That being said Engler coasted on bandaids for 12 years.

Granholm, to me, has done very little for the state during her tenure thus far. The recent transportation study fiasco furthered my suspicions of an east side bias. Although more reasearch is needed in terms of DeVos as a candidate, my vote goes to him due his geographic ties to the west side of the state, the things he has helped Grand Rapids accomplish, and the simple fact that I think Michigan needs to be steered into a new direction.

For me this is another occurrence where I get to pick between the lesser of two evils. I've never had the experience with agreeing with nearly everything a politician has said and consequently hating her every decision the way I have with Jenny. I will not vote for her (surprise). I'll vote for DeVos unless he starts with his school voucher stuff again, in which case I'll vote for a third party candidate.

Unless DeVoss can prove himself to Michigan's urban existence and convince me of his ability, I will be voting for Granholm. I don't consider myself either repub or dem because I will vote for either candidate, person-specific.

I believe Grand Rapids needs greater representation and support from state government. I also believe that Southeast Michigan has a serious problem with wasted funds. That region is so corrupt, it's difficult to position available funds to be effectively allocated to worthy causes.

As an analogy, funding in SE MI is like taking a stack of "$1,000-dollar-bills" and throwing it into the sky as a free-bee for all 8 billion local governments. There needs to be better regional representation there in order to give Grand Rapids a more fair chance.

The reason I don't stick to either party is because I question the representation in the divisions of government. A divided house, senate, and chief leads to a less-productive operation. This goes for the national level as well. If it's democrat Granholm's fault for our state of economy, why isn't it republican Bush's fault just the same?

DeVos just has too much baggage with his connections to Alticor. I hate to say it but sometimes philanthropy isnt just for the good of the community, sometimes its to distract people from the bad things and drive attention elsewhere.

Do you really believe that? Philantropy = conspiracy? Considering the level of their giving, I assume the DeVos family must have one heck of a skeleton hiding somewhere...

Archived