163 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty surprised with how civil this has gone. You guys are being fair enough. And I can completely respect the other side. After all, DeVos is from your guys' side of the state, and elections have been decided over far more ridiculous things.

It should be no surprise, then, that I could support (with relatively clear conscience) another Granholm administration. For the economy, rather left or right leaning, I could never get how people can place such heavy blame on governors and presidents for economies, especially in our free-market system. I've always said that leaders can only steer, not run economies be they local or national. With all of that said, I think Granholm has done a decent job of steering us through these trouble waters we've been in for decades. What REALLY turns me off, in terms of economy on the other side, is this foolish talk of abolishing the Single Business Tax as if the state won't have to make that money up, and as usual, of the backs of the already cashed strapped poor and working class.

And, on social issues, that is an argument I will spare myself, here.

From a strategic perspective, I'm confused as to why the state GOP is running DeVos for governor? When you look at the numbers, until West Michigan grows a bit more in population, running a Westide Republican is dangerous. Not only does it automatically turn off any centrist leaning left, but possibily quite a few Republicans in the Southeast Michigan that don't like the idea of their side of the state losing their political clout. I think it will take two more governor elections (including this one) before a Westside conservative can win.

Maybe, you all can prove me wrong, but the stategy seems flawed. I could see them picking a Republican from the Kazoo, or even in a more regionally neutral part of Northern Michigan. But, DeVos embodies everything that is Suburban West Michigan (good and bad, and you want a candidate that only portrays the good), and most people on the Southeast side of the state are scared or turned off by that, Dems and Republicans, alike.

I don't know. Most people would simply call that "loyalty." And with other traits, that can be a very admirable characteristic to have. Though, loyalty by itself can be a very dangerous way to follow someone. Loyalty, by itself, can easily turn into "my leader wrong or right."

I don't know why, but I feel that the average state Republican is less-than-estatic about their pick for governor. Not quite like in the last election with Posthumus, but still, as if they don't feel they have the best candidate. I think that DeVos connection with his companies will be a very big deal, along with the outsorcing. Michiganders aren't too fond of Big Business as it is, especially with such a strong union prescence.

What I do think this shows, though, is the Westside finally having their in say statewide elections. Personally, if I were to ever vote Republican for a governor, he'd have to be from Northern Michigan or the U.P. sort of like Engler (middle-of-the-road type guy from central Michigan). But, I don't see that happening in my lifetime. I'd love to see a Yoopers take on statewide issues, to be honest. Even I must say I'm tiring of the Southeast Michigan, "Old-Guard" Democrats and Republicans.

I think that DeVos connection with his companies will be a very big deal, along with the outsorcing. Michiganders aren't too fond of Big Business as it is, especially with such a strong union prescence.

People should know that DeVos didn't outsource jobs to China, in other words, he didn't transplant Michigan workers to China. The jobs in China are a result of their success in marketing TO that country. Due to Chineese trade laws, Alticor was required to build a plant there if they were selling products to them. We should try that here, maybe we would start filling factories instead of abandoning them.

Somebody said it earlier, that they hate Betsy DeVos.

I think it's clear that running Dick is the answer to the perception of

her as being shrill and strident. He is the more appealing of the two,

both who seem ambitious beyond their abilities. Listen to him speak

in a political forum or a debate, then form opinions. The guy just

doesn't appear to be too bright - likeable - but not smart. I like

my elected officials to be smart, well spoken - off the cuff, not just

good readers - resourceful, great listeners, evolved, and in touch.

Few of these people seem to run for office, anymore. Certainly

not this undynamic duo. Until a more viable candidate steps forward,

Granholm has my support.

Somebody said it earlier, that they hate Betsy DeVos.

I think it's clear that running Dick is the answer to the perception of

her as being shrill and strident. He is the more appealing of the two,

both who seem ambitious beyond their abilities. Listen to him speak

in a political forum or a debate, then form opinions. The guy just

doesn't appear to be too bright - likeable - but not smart. I like

my elected officials to be smart, well spoken - off the cuff, not just

good readers - resourceful, great listeners, evolved, and in touch.

Few of these people seem to run for office, anymore. Certainly

not this undynamic duo. Until a more viable candidate steps forward,

Granholm has my support.

A serious question - If you were smart, well spoken, resourceful, great listener, evolved and in touch, would you want to go through the scrutiny and hell that candidates for public offic go through? Sometimes, I think that the politicians that we get are not capable of doing anything else.

That sounds... Poetic :D

I too look at such qualities, how well a politician speaks, How intelligent they come across as, how tolerant they sound, a level of patience. I don't really look as much at the issues as I do the personality of the canidate, I know that sounds awful, but really the best canidates are the level headed ones. To me there needs to be some level of logic. If you want to cut taxes be prepared to cut funding, its that simple. If it means helping out the state be financially stable then I have no problem paying an extra $15 a year or more to help out in that respect.

My experience with the GOP is there is no level headedness, no real desire to work within the system that they are given, they wish to create the system in their own image whether its good for the government or not. While some people might call this "reform" I tend to call this carelessness.

That sounds... Poetic :D

I too look at such qualities, how well a politician speaks, How intelligent they come across as, how tolerant they sound, a level of patience. I don't really look as much at the issues as I do the personality of the canidate, I know that sounds awful, but really the best canidates are the level headed ones. To me there needs to be some level of logic. If you want to cut taxes be prepared to cut funding, its that simple. If it means helping out the state be financially stable then I have no problem paying an extra $15 a year or more to help out in that respect.

My experience with the GOP is there is no level headedness, no real desire to work within the system that they are given, they wish to create the system in their own image whether its good for the government or not. While some people might call this "reform" I tend to call this carelessness.

Are we to assume that the Democrats are somehow absent the same traits? Lets not beat around the bush and pretend that the GOP is the evil party of plutocrats while the Democrats are this wholesome party of everyday joes that want to make life better for the "Working Man". both parties have a real attitude problem and both are addicted to our paychecks. I hate a conservative making a law telling me that I cannot buy beer on a Sunday because it is immoral as much as I hate a liberal telling me that I cant send my kids to the school of my choice because it makes the teacher unions unhappy. They both have their elite snobs that think we all march their drumbeat. :wacko:

I seriously wish we had 4 parties in this state so that neither side(s) can have full control over the ship.

Are we to assume that the Democrats are somehow absent the same traits? Lets not beat around the bush and pretend that the GOP is the evil party of plutocrats while the Democrats are this wholesome party of everyday joes that want to make life better for the "Working Man". both parties have a real attitude problem and both are addicted to our paychecks. I hate a conservative making a law telling me that I cannot buy beer on a Sunday because it is immoral as much as I hate a liberal telling me that I cant send my kids to the school of my choice because it makes the teacher unions unhappy. They both have their elite snobs that think we all march their drumbeat. :wacko:

I seriously wish we had 4 parties in this state so that neither side(s) can have full control over the ship.

im not saying that either, GOP, Democrat, Green or Reform Party if someone seems genuine, and articulate, and honest enough (no politician is honest, but some are honest enough) then good things can happen.

Vern Ehlers is a good example, He is a very smart man, he is a nuclear physicist! I can see myself vote for him, he doesn't come off as a person who wants to cause harm to government, but want to work with what he has in front of him, he is a humble guy, and well spoken. Fred Upton our U.S. Representational cohort to the south in Kzoo on the other hand is anything but, Upton is the Anti-Ehlers.

I wish I could give an example in state, but eveyone in the state government is very outspoken, and critical of the other man, and not looking inward for solutions.

I don't know how someone could take a blind eye to a candadite and vote for them just because they are affiliated with their party... The reason why we have corrupt and lame politicians is not because of them, but because of us. It's still early, but neither Granholm or Devos have clearly said what needs to be said.

You might as well throw Michigan under a bus if you vote for either of the two. It still wont matter, its not like Devos or Granholm can say, "ok, the state will do this, then with the wave of my magic wand everyone will have full wallets."

Some dems in this area still follow Granholm because shes a dem. Wheres the issue of transportation? correct and proportionate funding? Just remember fellow democrats, if you live on this side of the state, your voice will probably go unhurd. Also, to the republicans of this area so to will your voice go unheard. Devos dosen't seem like he will listen either, I believe his bulk of constituents will also come from the SE side.

I don't know how someone could take a blind eye to a candadite and vote for them just because they are affiliated with their party... The reason why we have corrupt and lame politicians is not because of them, but because of us. It's still early, but neither Granholm or Devos have clearly said what needs to be said.

You might as well throw Michigan under a bus if you vote for either of the two. It still wont matter, its not like Devos or Granholm can say, "ok, the state will do this, then with the wave of my magic wand everyone will have full wallets."

Some dems in this area still follow Granholm because shes a dem. Wheres the issue of transportation? correct and proportionate funding? Just remember fellow democrats, if you live on this side of the state, your voice will probably go unhurd. Also, to the republicans of this area so to will your voice go unheard. Devos dosen't seem like he will listen either, I believe his bulk of constituents will also come from the SE side.

and the suburban areas.

PRT in Ada anyone? :blush:

Archived