163 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the poll results so far are close to the 2002 results for Kent County.

although the demographics of this board are probably left of kent county, the results show 10% less support for Devos then Posthumas.

I really think Devos is going to be hurt in the Area because people know him here, and people's opinion on the Devos family is mixed in this area.

although the demographics of this board are probably left of kent county, the results show 10% less support for Devos then Posthumas.

I should apologize for using the word "close" loosely like that. Here are the Kent County results from the 2002 election (according to CNN)

Granholm: 38%

Posthumus: 61%

Other: 1%

When you say "left of kent county", are you referring to fiscal or social or both?

Kent County is still rather conservative, But is it not true, that the city itself goes Blue lately? Grand Rapids votes liberal, last I saw anyway.

Nothing is quite as lopsided as Ottawa county. We could pick it up and drop it square in the middle of Utah it would fit perfectly.

Kent County is still rather conservative, But is it not true, that the city itself goes Blue lately? Grand Rapids votes liberal, last I saw anyway.

Nothing is quite as lopsided as Ottawa county. We could pick it up and drop it square in the middle of Utah it would fit perfectly.

If it wasnt for the Lake Michigan's contour along the shore, Ottawa Co. would be like a Mini Utah.

I should apologize for using the word "close" loosely like that. Here are the Kent County results from the 2002 election (according to CNN)

Granholm: 38%

Posthumus: 61%

Other: 1%

When you say "left of kent county", are you referring to fiscal or social or both?

and I should have said 7% not 10% :P but yeah CNN is where I got the 10% less then Posthumas figure.

But when I say left of Kent I do mean social. I don't know too many people on here whining about their credit card debt ;)

I couldn't find numbers breaking the vote down by city within Kent County. It's a safe assumption that Graholm got a higher percentage of votes in GR city vs. the rest of Kent. But without knowing voter turnout and votes per city/town in Kent, who knows how "blue" Grand Rapids city is.

See my point up above. :blush:

Granholm would be more effective as a stripper.

Jobs leaving the state at a rate faster than ever before, and little action is being taken, resultantly our state economy is in the toilet while the rest of our nation is doing well.

DeVos is out of touch with us little people but is presumably more plugged into economic performance than Granholm would be....

I'm not familiar wit DeVos' company but I'm pretty sure it is heavily into offshore operations, funny when the idiot has commercials out talking about how to prevent outsourcing and promote job creation here at home! I don't think we need a billionaire governor who would obviously heavily favor large companies. The only good thing that might come from Devos being elected for me is that he would be spending time in Lansing and may choose to invest a little in our downtown, other than that its the choice between the lesser of two evils (as it often is in politics), which is Granholm.

Granholm would be more effective as a stripper.

Jobs leaving the state at a rate faster than ever before, and little action is being taken, resultantly our state economy is in the toilet while the rest of our nation is doing well.

DeVos is out of touch with us little people but is presumably more plugged into economic performance than Granholm would be....

Not sure what this has to do with my quote from page 1.

\

:rofl::rofl: maybe she can get hooked up w/ Mark London's new venture . . .

Yes, and DeVos will have his very own VIP booth there. :thumbsup:

couldn't find numbers breaking the vote down by city within Kent County. It's a safe assumption that Graholm got a higher percentage of votes in GR city vs. the rest of Kent. But without knowing voter turnout and votes per city/town in Kent, who knows how "blue" Grand Rapids city is.

no it's a fact, I'm sure you can find it, the city votes Democrat, leans liberal, it's surrounded by red.

Doesn't your guys City Clerk post election results on the city website? I thought most cities did that? BTW, I'm interested to see the numbers. Lansing, for instance, voted 66.3% Kerry, 32.5% Bush, and 1.2% other (I was surprised at how much Bush got here), and narrowly voted down the gay marriage ban (proposal 2) 51.9% No / 48.1% Yes. As for Ingham County, it was a bit closer, but still leaned left with 57.78% Kerry, 41.14% Bush, 1.08% other. But, surprisingly, Ingham County voted down the gay marriage ban slightly more stronger than the City of Lansing: 52.97% No / 47.03% Yes.

funny when the idiot has commercials out talking about how to prevent outsourcing and promote job creation here at home!

Please don't bring this up again :) Outsourcing jobs is a whole lot different than growing a foreign company (ie. Amway China) He didn't fire people in Michigan and then hire someone in China to do their jobs. That's outsourcing. Rather, their Chinese market continues to grow so their Chinese companies will continue to hire. They have over 150 operations in foreign countries. When you sell as many products in these countries as they do you have to set up manufacturing/wharehousing operations in these countries. That's one of the reasons Amway is so respected in these countries. They don't just come push American "stuff" to them. They create market specific products, hire local workers to make them, pay local people to distribute them, and invest back in the community. They're praised worldwide for their business overseas. This is not outsourcing.

Even if they wanted to they couldn't have Michigan workers doing these jobs.

Unfortunately, I believe this will be one of the most often used, although unfounded, arguments that will be believed by a majority of uneducated votors. (I don't mean uneducated as an insult...just someone who believes what sounds good rather than looking into the facts.)

His companies, and investments in Michigan have created 1000's of jobs in Michigan. Think of all the jobs resulting from either companies they own, or from projects their investments have made possible. (How many state/city employees salaries are paid for just from the income taxes on the DeVos family's income? How about the taxes paid by their companies? :) Probably more than you or I have created!)

Let's face it. It's not evil to be rich. Their success has helped all of us. A rising tide rises all ships. Give him a chance to help Michigan as Governor!! :yahoo:

If you would like to have some facts about Alticor, you can call their public relations department. Here are some facts that I know that really dissolve the whole "outsourcing" thing:

1. All of their IT staff, barring a select few, are located in Ada, MI. This team has seen consistent growth when other companies like Meijer have been sending jobs overseas.

2. Their benefits are some of the best that I have ever seen. Period.

3. They provide internal employees career paths. Not many companies are doing that anymore.

4. They have not EVER cut jobs in Michigan for lower wage workers in other countries. But, they have found a way to open up new markets for our products. Which, by the way, has helped to keep employees in Michigan employed.

I think that if, in order to best him, you need the argument that DeVos and Alticor have somehow hurt Michigan, you will find yourself with a false pretense. Whether or not you vote for him, that is not an argument that holds any water.

Please don't bring this up again :) Outsourcing jobs is a whole lot different than growing a foreign company (ie. Amway China) He didn't fire people in Michigan and then hire someone in China to do their jobs. That's outsourcing. Rather, their Chinese market continues to grow so their Chinese companies will continue to hire. They have over 150 operations in foreign countries. When you sell as many products in these countries as they do you have to set up manufacturing/wharehousing operations in these countries. That's one of the reasons Amway is so respected in these countries. They don't just come push American "stuff" to them. They create market specific products, hire local workers to make them, pay local people to distribute them, and invest back in the community. They're praised worldwide for their business overseas. This is not outsourcing.

Even if they wanted to they couldn't have Michigan workers doing these jobs.

Unfortunately, I believe this will be one of the most often used, although unfounded, arguments that will be believed by a majority of uneducated votors. (I don't mean uneducated as an insult...just someone who believes what sounds good rather than looking into the facts.)

His companies, and investments in Michigan have created 1000's of jobs in Michigan. Think of all the jobs resulting from either companies they own, or from projects their investments have made possible. (How many state/city employees salaries are paid for just from the income taxes on the DeVos family's income? How about the taxes paid by their companies? :) Probably more than you or I have created!)

Let's face it. It's not evil to be rich. Their success has helped all of us. A rising tide rises all ships. Give him a chance to help Michigan as Governor!! :yahoo:

Excellent summation Eagle and Yankee fan. You hit it on the head with the clarification of "oustsourcing". I work for a major corporation which is planning on investing overseas which, as you pointed out, may require manufacturng to be done there . . . .that will not, however, replace manufacturing here in West Michigan.

I personally think someone like DeVos is an excellent candidate . . he obviously knows fiscal responsibility, how to keep people employed, how to invest HIS OWN MONEY in the City (which, by the way he is under no obligation whatsoever to do) and so forth . . .will he be able to solve all of Michigan's problems? Probably not, but his leadership will hopefully pave the way for improvement . . .

Doesn't your guys City Clerk post election results on the city website? I thought most cities did that? BTW, I'm interested to see the numbers. Lansing, for instance, voted 66.3% Kerry, 32.5% Bush, and 1.2% other (I was surprised at how much Bush got here), and narrowly voted down the gay marriage ban (proposal 2) 51.9% No / 48.1% Yes. As for Ingham County, it was a bit closer, but still leaned left with 57.78% Kerry, 41.14% Bush, 1.08% other. But, surprisingly, Ingham County voted down the gay marriage ban slightly more stronger than the City of Lansing: 52.97% No / 47.03% Yes.

Thanks for suggesting the City Clerk. I hadn't thought of that. From the GR city clerk website, I got a link to election results that took me to a site called electionmagic.com. Here's the specific URL for the 2002 governor general election results broken down by precinct:

http://www.electionmagic.com/archives/mi/2...K4100101000.htm

I totaled all the precincts for "City of Grand Rapids". Posthumus got around 48.3% and Granholm got 49.6%.

There were also some called Grand Rapids, as opposed to City of Grand Rapids. I assume these additional ones are covering the GR Charter Township. If you include GR Township, then Posthumus gets 49.5% and Granholm 48.0%. So Grand Rapids city is only slightly blue and if you include the township it's actually slightly red.

I wonder if any people here are surprised by these results.

Archived