1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesse Ventura

Oh God.. Don't even say that. Been there, done that. THe man RUINED our education system.. and he was so bull headed that it was "his way or the highway"...

It's no wonder that soft spoken, professional Tim Pawlenty was voted in here.. it was more a vote of shock against "The Body"

Well, in response to the negative responses to DeVos and his commercials, I am looking forward to JG's commercials in which they show her walking through all of the "newly available" or "Pre-used" commercial space that she has been able to "help create" over the past 4 years. She could make a strong case on her ability to "make room for companies of the new Michigan economy."

They're both going to tow the party line. Say what their people want to hear. The day after they're sworn in it will be business as usual kissing up to whichever group helped them win the election and trying to put a good spin on a bad situation and blaming the other side of the aisle. It's not going to matter who wins. At this point the state's going to sink or swim according to business, unions, and local governments (with very little help from the state).

I've been old enough to vote for 24 years and it's gotten more and more obvious that the political world revolves around money and airtime. It's big government vs. big business and I vote for who will affect my wallet the least and cross my fingers.

They're both going to tow the party line. Say what their people want to hear. The day after they're sworn in it will be business as usual kissing up to whichever group helped them win the election and trying to put a good spin on a bad situation and blaming the other side of the aisle.

AMEN!

I think that the republicans will fox some things, and screw up a bunch of other stuff. Then the democrats would take office, fix some of the problems the republicans caused and screw up their own bunch of stuff. Then the republicans get voted back in and fix some of the problems the democrats caused, and, well, you get the idea...

Great thread!

My car has a "DeVos for Governor" sticker on it. I happen to know the DeVos family and have worked for them in the past. I actually had the chance to spend some time with Rich DeVos (Sr.) when he was in town over Christmas. (He told me all about the new development he's building on the 30 riverfront acres downtown...JUST KIDDING :D ) Seriously though, great family. It's those who don't actually know them who accuse them of being "elitist," etc. Just talk to all of the employees who absollutely love them.

I'm excited to have the chance to vote for a man with a proven track record of success. A man who's actually had to work an actual job in his life. (All the DeVos "kids" had to start at the bottom with a job in the factory - coworkers didn't even know who's kids they were - and work their way up. They had to go through the same management training as everybody else.)

He's seen what hard work and sacrifice can produce. He knows first hand what it takes to run a successful business; both large and small. He's run manufacturing, distribution, and agricultural businesses. He was there when his dad couldn't make payroll and he's had to make the tough, unpopular decisions himself necessary to pull a company through hard times. Yes, that sometimes means laying off some employees. Isn't it better to lay off some employees to keep the business open than to go out of business and fire 13,000? Who knows better how to help your boss keep your job than someone who's been in your boss's position?

I know this is not a "defend Alticor" thread but I'm concerned some people will choose not to vote for Dick DeVos based on concerns about Alticor. I'd like to address that. Dick DeVos is not an Amway distributor. He really has nothing to do with how an individual person in the field builds their business. They make the products and independent contractors in the field buy and sell them. Most of the concerns or criticisms of Amway are really not directed at the company at all but at an individual, completely independent distributor. A huge distinction must be made.

Please get off the "pyramid" thing. Seriously. Multi-level marketing is an established and very successful method of distribution. The percentage of our GDP that goes through some type of MLM is staggering. Alticor's marketing plan has been around over 50 years and has been through the ringer many times. There is a very clear distinction between illegal pyramid schemes and legitimate MLM's. Warren Buffet wouldn't have just purchased "Pampered Chef" if these plans were illegal or shady. Many of the top Fortune 500 companies market their products on the Quixtar website. This is a very profitable and very respected company. Dick DeVos does not operate an illegal pyramid scheme!

Also, be careful not to link Dick DeVos with some of the individual distributors that have, in fact, turned the opportunity Amway or Quixtar provided into something else. Understand that the company, and family, are completely seperate from independent business owners who purchase, and distribute their products. Alticor's company Access Business Group makes the products, puts them on the Quixtar website with over 1000 other companies, and the Independent Business Owners promote the site.

When possible the company has absolutely cracked down, where they had the power, on trouble makers. They've removed very high-level distributors in the past. (One of them, Bo Short, was kicked out of Quixtar for turning his business into an illegal pyramid, took many people with him, founded a competing company and then went to Dateline NBC with a "Shocking Story" about Quixtar. Can you say conflict of interest?) His company has since gone out of business.

My point is please don't take an experience or an opinion you have an Amway or Quixtar Independent Business Owner and assume that Dick DeVos is at all related.

Similarily, if you have a bad experience at a McDonald's it shouldn't reflect poorly on the Crock Family. (Should we assume that their huge, 1.5 billion dollar donation to the Salvation Army must be a cover up for their illegal franchised business opportunity as previous posters have suggested about the DeVos Family?)

Let's elect a governor based on his successful track record of leadership, vision, and decision making. Don't confuse his campaign with opinions about some Amway distributor you had a problem with. I believe we need a change. I believe DeVos, who is not a career politician, who doesn't "need" the job or a re-election, is a good choice for Michigan.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here. ;)

I can tell you one thing, If Devos even mentions school vouchers, he tanks. Also, Devos isn't like most Grand Rapids conservatives, who take their idea of conservatism not only to their values, but to their wallets. Devos is a Breed of republican who cuts taxes and increases spending, the combo that most people should be able to see is not logical.

I can tell you one thing, If Devos even mentions school vouchers, he tanks. Also, Devos isn't like most Grand Rapids conservatives, who take their idea of conservatism not only to their values, but to their wallets. Devos is a Breed of republican who cuts taxes and increases spending, the combo that most people should be able to see is not logical.

From what I've read so far I don't think DeVos will push for vouchers again.

Curious how you know DeVos will cut taxes and raise spending? Has he proposed a major increase in spending somewhere I don't know about? I agree that is not logical and is one of my biggest irritations with President Bush.

I agree, I have been aproached by people trying to get me involved with Amway several times since moving here. I hate it more and more everytime, since there are now clever ways to cover up what it really is by renaming it a business group. However, I dont thing Granholm has done a good job and it is always nice for someone to have local bias in positions of power. Dick Devos for governor.

I have a tendency to lean conservative. But only in how I think the government to run. When it comes to social Issues, I'm pretty dern liberal. That makes it hard for me to sign on to a Devos for governor. I feel we'd pretty much throw away the social advances of the last forty years. I feel Granholm is somewhat moderate. Although I disagree with her stances on business. What happened to the great libertarian base of the Michigan Republican party.

It was Betsy Devos' Family that pushed the Gay marriage amendment in Michigan. An issue that by definition was already not supported by the state constitution. Why did we have to take that issue and exploit it that much more. In my opinion it was that families ultra-right wing way, to rub their self righteous, religious dogma, in the face of those of us who subscribe to the policy of live and let live. They did noone a favor, but themselves. Making each other appear more righteous on Sunday Mornings. These are definately the type of people that Dick Devos is. I'm hoping, watching and waiting, that Mr. Devos will stay away from social issues all together, or if nothing else move slightly to the center. If he does I will definately consider voting for him. However until I hear otherwise. My vote goes to Jennifer Granholm. Regardless of what he does in terms of financial responsibility. If he tries to turn this state into a theocracy, I can't see that as a good.

Sorry guys that wasn't intended to sound as leftist, and biased as it came out. But you have to understand, living in Western Michigan for the past 20 years, the one truth I have walked away with, is the Staunch social stance the Devos family takes. And while I certainly have no problem with their stance and feelings on those issues, my problem comes in because I feel they would use politics to force those views on other people.

I guess the real question is what happened to the great libertarian base of the Republican Party in general?

The answer: They became Democrats. Financial Conservatism, and Social Liberalism is the overwhelming theme of many Democrats today. Call it the Clinton revolution. call it political evolution, call it whatever. Truth is Libertarianism is finding a niche in the Democratic Party. Much like the Fundamentalist Christian Church found a niche in the Republican Party. 10 yrs from now we will probably look at the Republicans as the overbearing social dictators and not the Democrats.

Not to get too much further off subject...but to be fair to West Michigan, at least their brand of social conservatism isn't like that of a Texas, or parts of the deep south. While they definitely have similarities, West Michigan religious conservatives seem to have something those don't: a strong and true society of social activism. While it may be coupled, sometimes, with some dubious issues (IMO), the social activism of West Michigan seems to really benefit the greater community, there. They seem to take much better care of their poor and less fortunate than their counterparts in other particularly religious places in the South and West. They also seem to be much more adverse to war mongering. West Michigan Christians also seems to strongly believe in the taking in of refugees. There is no mistake why it is a major entry point for refugees. Refugees services there are second to none from what I've seen, and they put their money where their mouth is.

See, I really can say nice things about your guys' part of the state. :)

Archived