La Grande Vitesse ("The Calder")

torgo

But along with that vein of thinking, why wouldn't new buildings where the city/county complex also work? As long as they are kept in the context of the buildings currently there, albeit taller, would that also work?

I don't see why we need to build taller ugly buildings, just leave the two as they are. :) That wall on Monroe is set back far enough that I could see storefronts built in front of it which would liven up that street. And any new construction could go on the Fifth Third parking lot, and perhaps on the Federal Building. I don't see that building as an essential part of the Calder's context, unlike the City and County buildings. Even further, All the buildings across Ottawa are pretty uninviting as well. Even the new courthouse building is pretty fugly. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that one.

Actually, perhaps in the more distant future the parking under the plaza could be turned into more space for the convention center and be connected underground. The convention center is really nice, but it isn't nearly as big as many others. It's probably fine for a mid-sized city like Grand Rapids, but as we grow that could give them some breathing room. And it might have the side effect of bring more pedestrian traffic to the plaza. Convention goers could walk up a flight of stairs to get outside for smoke breaks.

-nb

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, perhaps in the more distant future the parking under the plaza could be turned into more space for the convention center and be connected underground. The convention center is really nice, but it isn't nearly as big as many others. It's probably fine for a mid-sized city like Grand Rapids, but as we grow that could give them some breathing room. And it might have the side effect of bring more pedestrian traffic to the plaza. Convention goers could walk up a flight of stairs to get outside for smoke breaks.

-nb

What an awesome idea! :w00t:

Archived