D.C.'s height limit: Measure of their impact

Guest donaltopablo

I wonder how developers would respond if D.C. lifted its height restrictions in at least a part of the city. Would there be an immediate building boom? Just to keep me from catching a bunch of flack, let's say a less historical part of the city that doesn't mean of that much.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how developers would respond if D.C. lifted its height restrictions in at least a part of the city. Would there be an immediate building boom? Just to keep me from catching a bunch of flack, let's say a less historical part of the city that doesn't mean of that much.

There is enough room for tall buildings in the suburbs of Virginia and Maryland without removing the height restrictions in DC. Having the Capitol, Washington Monument and other landmarks prominent on the skyline is part of Washington's identity. I'd hate to see this long-established pattern altered in favor of tall towers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^These are all great points.

DC has one of the largest downtowns, and a much more spread out urban feel than any other city its size, and I think you can attribute most of that to its height restrictions. This forces more urban neighborhoods to form because you can't cram as many people into one place. There is certainly a threshold of density for great urban neighborhood, and 10 stories more than meets that requirement. Its proof that skyscrapers are just eye candy.

Here's a fun fact: "Nine percent of its residents already walk to work, the most of any U.S. city..."

DC also has one of the best transit systems in the country, and second largest behind New York... all of this is becuase that density was forced to spread out by the height restrictions!

Here is an interesting article about the height restrictions and its effects on DC's growth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived