SoDo

patriot06

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the garage on Grant is starting to really take shape.

In other news, Commissioner Diamond has proposed 35 additional speed humps in Delaney Park and Wadeview Park neighborhoods. ugh! Looking at the map it appears they have a speed hump proposed for every single block. I realize SODO will create some traffic impacts for the neighborhood, but honestly, they're mostly going to be residents from the neighborhood, LOL. There are much better traffic calming approaches. Not all of them will be built I imagine, there has to be a petition and 65% of homeowners have to approve. I'm all for traffic calming, I just hate speed humps!

http://wadeviewpark.com/SpeedHumpMap.pdf

the garage on Grant is starting to really take shape.

In other news, Commissioner Diamond has proposed 35 additional speed humps in Delaney Park and Wadeview Park neighborhoods. ugh! Looking at the map it appears they have a speed hump proposed for every single block. I realize SODO will create some traffic impacts for the neighborhood, but honestly, they're mostly going to be residents from the neighborhood, LOL. There are much better traffic calming approaches. Not all of them will be built I imagine, there has to be a petition and 65% of homeowners have to approve. I'm all for traffic calming, I just hate speed humps!

http://wadeviewpark.com/SpeedHumpMap.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
SoDo is having the effect that part of Orange needs to clean it up. Too bad there's nothing like this to help out the OBT corridor.

This from the OBJ story:

"The project architect is unknown, but Baker Barrios Architects did some preliminary work for the developer, Albu says. Tyler Kirby, associate principal at Baker Barrios, did not return calls by press time."

Can someone explain to me why there seems to be only one architectural firm in Orlando? Does Baker Barrios ever get commissions out of Orlando or the state? I'm not a fan of their style and just think we could mix things up a bit. Arquitectonica is sorta local (Miami), and it would be cool to see what they could do with the architectural venacular of Orlando.

^widening Division will make matters worse. The problem with Orange, like most roads in Orlando, is that there is just too many people coming in and out of parking lots that dumb out right onto the street. They need to completely transform the road in a way that only allows passengers to enter and exit the road from cross streets (basically, make it urban).

This development is actually a step in the right direction--too bad that could not have acquired the property that fronts Orange to help reinforce the streetwall.

my understanding is the city made the developer incorporate a lot of urban design elements to help integrate it into the neighborhood. We'll see how it all works. I agree Prahaboheme, the development is a step in the right direction. Orange is a 5 lane facility, it can accommodate quite a bit of traffic. sure, there will be congestion, but it's part of the traditional city and it's a great infill project. The developer's original plan apparently was pretty typical big box. I also believe the City is gearing up to help with improving the corridor, lots of redevelopment and infill opportunities.

again, sorry for no photogs. this thing is going vertical in a big way. there's already a 5-story parking deck on the northern side of the site, and a 3 story structure back towards the Target, and a 2+ story structure on the NE portion of the site.. whoah. talk about moving along quickly.

Archived