West Raleigh developments

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The location is great for all three cities...My point of it being doomed is in the future downtown will be the place to be(assuming everything goes as planned) Lets remember why the new arena in Charlotte(bobcat center or whatever it is called) was built...To complete the downtown revitalization. I feel that this will be the trend here as well. Nothing is better for a downtown then a nice sports arena. If there is no other reason to go the RBC Center, it will eventually just become a building like the Charlotte Coliseum did and people will eventually grow tiresome. Lets just hope that the Hurricanes in 10 years decide that the building sucks and is poorly located and threatens to leave unless the city builds a new one downtown. This helps the team image as well to have a nice venue in the downtown core.

Downtown Charlotte arena is cleaning up right now because of where it is located and its proximity to hotels, restaurant, and what not. They have also figured out how to deal with all the traffic. I commend Charlotte on their success. Also, Charlotte Coliseum could've been renovated and luxury sweets added (MSG did this countless times) but the city decided to go another direction. Good decision I think....

Gotta disagree here. The old CLT coliseum, had it been built with 60-100 skyboxes (like the next big NBA venue after it was), would still be in use and going strong. They had something that fiscally didn't work and needed a totally different design. Downtown Charlotte got LUCKY that the CLT coliseum was incorrectly designed.

It is definitley ideal to have a sports venue downtown, but I don't think it is required, nor is it an automatic success. Look at Atlanta where attendance at the Philips Arena is not good. We see that most of the free market urban growth is happening ironically in midtown, a long way away. Even with MARTA going to Philips' front door, Atlantans feel like the Philips Arena is out of the way and hard to get to.

Gotta disagree here. The old CLT coliseum, had it been built with 60-100 skyboxes (like the next big NBA venue after it was), would still be in use and going strong. They had something that fiscally didn't work and needed a totally different design. Downtown Charlotte got LUCKY that the CLT coliseum was incorrectly designed.

It is definitley ideal to have a sports venue downtown, but I don't think it is required, nor is it an automatic success. Look at Atlanta where attendance at the Philips Arena is not good. We see that most of the free market urban growth is happening ironically in midtown, a long way away. Even with MARTA going to Philips' front door, Atlantans feel like the Philips Arena is out of the way and hard to get to.

You're correct, Atlanta is very spread out and is a "sprawl gone wrong" showcase which is what Raleigh will become if it doesn't put the foot down. However, Atlanta's downtown is massive (i would guess the entire inside of the beltline here) which makes coming downtown the equivalent from someone from N. Raleigh to Cameron Village. Obviously Cameron village isn't downtown in Raleigh. Raleigh's downtown will be compact (similar to Charlottes just a little more spread out). I think one single downtown arena would succeed in Raleigh due to the other draws downtown. Phillips arena is also unfortunate enough to house two very unsuccessful franchises. When they host concerts,shows,etc., turnout is just as good as any arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Should Raleigh push developers to build a Entertainment/retail/hotel complex for the RBC Center to help it better compete, and wasn't this the original vision for the stadium complex area,i remember Steve Stroud pushing this plan what in the world happen? I don't care what anybody says Raleigh needs something exciting out their that will hold peoples interest other than just the sporting events!!!

I thought a while back, someone like Colonial Properties had a master plan for the area. Has this been scrapped?
That plan has been scrapped,some dude named Bubba Rawls has shaky plans to build your boring run of the mill sprawl shopping center i hope it NEVER HAPPENS!!!

A while ago there was talk of SAS looking at this land when "Bubba" fell through, especially when they built the Reedy Creek entrance to their campus.

If everything takes off downtown as expected, there is a block of "free land" just west of the new CC site that would be an ideal location for the "RBC replacement". It could have street level shops that soften the street level experience along Dawson, Cabarrus, McDowell, and Lenoir. Any decks built to support the new CC could easily support this as well.

The RBC Center has plenty of non-sports events -- concerts, tractor pulls, etc. In a few years, I think Raleigh should go after another Arena Football team. It is like hockey with hitting into the walls, and tickets are family friendly price wise. The Cobras only left because Charlotte lost the Hornets and were desperate for an ego boost. Also, NBC has a multi year deal to broadcast the season, so it would be another way to showcase the city.

Could a MLS team play in Carter-Finley? It seems MLS favors soccer-only limited seating stadiums like in LA, Columbus, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't see the city building an RBC center replacement. The city would have to build a multi-purpose venue like UVA is building for their basketball team. It can hold concerts, shows, and sporting events because of its design vs. the typical arena (RBC center) This should be considered if Shaw/St. Aug. ever decide to move ahead with a venue for their b-ball

Why do the street signs off of 40 and Wade not even say RBC CEnter, they simply state "arena" how tacky is that. change the freaking signs already. i dont' get this area

Why do the street signs off of 40 and Wade not even say RBC CEnter, they simply state "arena" how tacky is that. change the freaking signs already. i dont' get this area

Write a letter to the city. Do something about it rather than complaining on here.

That plan has been scrapped,some dude named Bubba Rawls has shaky plans to build your boring run of the mill sprawl shopping center i hope it NEVER HAPPENS!!!

A shopping center does no good there without 24/7 People living there. It would be out of the way for people to shop there

The Cobras only left because Charlotte lost the Hornets and were desperate for an ego boost. Also, NBC has a multi year deal to broadcast the season, so it would be another way to showcase the city.

Could a MLS team play in Carter-Finley? It seems MLS favors soccer-only limited seating stadiums like in LA, Columbus, etc.

I thought the Cobras left because the Huirricanes were doing so well (the year they went to the SC finals) and people were spending their money with them. So they triend Charoltte since they had the arena open up and little to change? I could be wrong.

I wish there was a arena team in NC but both cities are sports saturated. Need to increase the population more to get anything outside of a 2nd division team in MSL.

Not to mention, there is an arena team here in Raleigh that was to played at Dorton Arena. Did it ever take off? It was a couple of divisions below the Arena League you see on NBC. A bunch of weekend warriors.

I thought the Cobras left because the Huirricanes were doing so well (the year they went to the SC finals) and people were spending their money with them. So they triend Charoltte since they had the arena open up and little to change? I could be wrong.

I wish there was a arena team in NC but both cities are sports saturated. Need to increase the population more to get anything outside of a 2nd division team in MSL.

Not to mention, there is an arena team here in Raleigh that was to played at Dorton Arena. Did it ever take off? It was a couple of divisions below the Arena League you see on NBC. A bunch of weekend warriors.

The Raleigh Rebels currently play at Dorton Arena. They don't get much publicity.

http://www.raleighrebels.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I can't beleive that this lady would bring up traffic congestion concerns during events at the RBC/Carter Finley. There will always be congestion whenever there is an event at one of these venues. This land will not stay undeveloped forever. This area has one of the best road networks in the area to handle large volumes of traffic. It appears like a good start to the area.

I can't beleive that this lady would bring up traffic congestion concerns during events at the RBC/Carter Finley. There will always be congestion whenever there is an event at one of these venues. This land will not stay undeveloped forever. This area has one of the best road networks in the area to handle large volumes of traffic. It appears like a good start to the area.

I am hoping that a development such as the new 960 acre 2,000,000. sf retail and 900 home and 2 hotel proposal in Cary will happen in this area. That is a massive new developement and this is what this area needs.

Its about time this plan moves forward. This will be great for that area. Right now it feels like you left a city to attend these city's events. This should help with that. Hopefully, NC State will start selling off the farm land across Wade and put some nice hotels there. That would be great for the pro franchise in the RBC center

Its about time this plan moves forward. This will be great for that area. Right now it feels like you left a city to attend these city's events. This should help with that. Hopefully, NC State will start selling off the farm land across Wade and put some nice hotels there. That would be great for the pro franchise in the RBC center

Someday it will not be like Woodstock

If NC State was smart they would keep the land and develop there own land. I am sure they can have there students plan out everything for that land for an educational purpose. They can look for farm space elsewhere.

here is some site plans of 40/wade.

Theres not any renderings or anything, looks like alot of surface parking though.

FORTY/WADE

I agree. I am afraid it went from a tight urban atmosphere with talk of a transit line running through it back in 2001's Colonial Properties plan to a parceled out Brier Creek/Mini City/Big box/Cary Development plan today. I almost would rather see it stand as a field.

I say that before I really understand the plan but it looks like just more of the same in a shiny package.

I guess I could be called a NIMBY for going against it and a Dev-ho for supporting it. I will stay undecided until I see more.

Archived