West Raleigh developments

Tayfromcarolina

Where did you see them start to clear? Off of Wade or on the Edwards Mill rd side?

Hi,

I drive down Edwards Mill Road nearly every work day and I noticed the "Tree Protection Area" area signs up earlier this week. I have not seen any heavy equipment but there are markers and fencing up along a portion of Edwards Mill where the access road is expected to connect.

JB

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove past the site on Edwards Mill today and there is definitely some grading going on in the area nearest Cardinal Gibbons.....likely the first Lichtin Building getting ready to go up since the article mentioned October as the ground breaking for that.....its a little hard to see with the super side buffer in palce between EM and the site.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well it looks like it won't be so desolate around the RBC Center for much longer...

The project, announced last year, will include up to half a million square feet of offices, 150,000 square feet of shops and at least 1,500 homes.

It also mentions a site for a hotel, which is desperately needed over there.

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/729490.html

You do not need homes around a sports complex. You need shops.. you need eateries.. you need some other activities.. but homes will take away from the whole ambiance.. why do they have to build homes? Put a park or an office building or condos.. Because as soon as you put a bunch of Single Family homes, they gonna start complaining that there are too many people around and blah blah blah.. and they gona fight that they brought that property to be near the arena but didn't think it was gonna be that much traffic and it's unsafe for them and they will then start to block any real development that can occur. I say, but a ban on housing within 5 miles radius of the arena.. I can just see it now.. all the hate notes and everything.. bad Idea

Found it!

http://msweb01.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/Ac....asp?id=0321116

Owner's Mailing Address

POST SERVICES INCONE RIVERSIDE

4401 NORTHSIDE PKWY NW STE 800

ATLANTA GA 30327-3093

Land Sale Date

8/27/2007

Land Sale Price

$30,041,000

That land is walled in on two sides by I-40 and the Expressway on the other:

http://imaps.co.wake.nc.us/imaps/main.htm?...;pin=0774899470

Who in their right mind would want to live there knowing that traffic will be absolutely awful during: 7 home football games, the State Fair, 15 or so home basketball games, 30-something home hockey games, as well as any other events at the Arena?

I don't see homes in that area being that big of a deal really. A suburban-style neighborhood with houses might not work here but townhouses and apartments may work out well. Sounds like this whole area may be a future office park one day and some people have 'living close to work' as their number 1 priority when choosing a place to live. Doesn't sound so bad with easy access to 40, wade, the beltline.

I just hope the designs come out well and we dont see an ocean of parking lots. Glad this area is being developed and not more sprawl in north raleigh.

Sounds like this whole area may be a future office park one day and some people have 'living close to work' as their number 1 priority when choosing a place to live. Doesn't sound so bad with easy access to 40, wade, the beltline.

I just hope the designs come out well and we dont see an ocean of parking lots. Glad this area is being developed and not more sprawl in north raleigh.

This project would be sprawl of the urban variety. It would be a shame to see another office park(even in a mixed use context) - midway between RTP and DT Ral. That kind of urban decentralization killed federal funding for rail here. By necessity, this area is an ocean of parking lots - between the fairgrounds, RBC and CF Stadium. I would prefer that the area grows into an area like the stadium complex on Broad St. in Philly - since we are nearly there anyway. Fill the area in with housing for the staffs of the venues and supporting bars/restaurants(although raleigh should tie in a future rail line as a stop between the airport and downtown if we can indeed demonstrate some kind of centralization).

Leave the office space and urban living to our area's downtowns.

Who in their right mind would want to live there knowing that traffic will be absolutely awful during: 7 home football games, the State Fair, 15 or so home basketball games, 30-something home hockey games, as well as any other events at the Arena?

Not to mention twice daily during rush hour on the weekdays.

• 2 months later...

I don't have any photos, but Forty Wade is moving along. I noticed a fairly large building lit up behind the trees while driving along Wade Ave on a recent night. It looked like an office bldg (as in the graphic below), and I'm guessing it's nearly done. IIRC plans were for office, retail and residential per this layout:

20060619_development.jpg

I wish it was more connected to the surroundings, but that's almost impossible given the two freeways, the school, and the creek near Edwards Mill. I guess once you get in there via car, it might be reasonably walkable.

Those two little entrances look like they will have a hard time handling all the in and out traffic. My girlfriends house is almost exactly oppsoite the Trinity entrance and the only improvement was a right hand turn lane (but no left). The Edwards Mill entrance has a light but this still reeks of poor planning. The entire site layout with Cardinal Gibbons, and the existing apratments and offices along trinity should have been tied in with maybe Corporate Center drive and Nowell both extending into 40 Wade.

I have driven up there to see what has been built but it has a long way to go to be anything urban and looks like Cary to me. A far cry from the original plans back in 2000. I don't see how this project could ever be Brier Creek like. I think it is 2 steps below that.

I could be wrong but I will believe it when I see it.

• 3 months later...

So I have dug this thread out of mothballs in light of the arena dead zone discussion. Any sign of retail life in this project, or is this going to be yet another case where they build the office space and then conveniently decide that "market conditions" prevent building the hotel, any housing, or the retail space...leading to yet another office park that vomits cars onto Wade avenue and Edwards Mill twice a day....

So far what I've seen of Forty Wade, it reminds me of Glen Lake up on Edwards Mill Rd, only rendered in brick rather than precast. The only building up so far in the "town center" looks like it's 100% office. I do not have high hopes for its potential at integrating well with the arena. It really never had any shot at potential in the first place, though, as there is a creek & wetlands that separate it from the arena.

I do not have high hopes for its potential at integrating well with the arena. It really never had any shot at potential in the first place, though, as there is a creek & wetlands that separate it from the arena.

I disagree. A Cameron Village-esque blend of shops and restaurants, with a nice, wide well-lit brick path or boardwalk through the wetlands and across the creek to connect it to the stadium grounds (or, if they can't go across Richland Creek to the stadium/arena area due to environmental concerns, at least a pedestrian connection to the sidewalks along Edwards Mill) would be a great amenity. Cardinal Gibbons teens and office folks would provide the lunch traffic, and arena/fairgrounds events would provide the evening traffic.

^ That would be alright, but who's going to construct this hypothetical boardwalk? It sounds good, but the majority of people are still going to drive every place around there... the area is just not very conducive to much walking between RBC and, well, anywhere else. I do think that within the Forty Wade development, it looks reasonably walkable from the site plan posted above, but like so many sites that get developed in this area, it rates poorly in terms of interconnectivity with it's surrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't a lot more space out here for new stuff unless you start cleaving off the parking lots from the stuff on Corporate Center. Cardinal Gibbons isn't giving up any of its land. There are new apartments going in on Corporate Center and Nowell. Existing apartments on Trinity, and there is no correcting the crappy site plans all through the area. I agree it'd be nice to have more stuff out there, I am out there a few times a week and think the lack of a comprehensive plan for the area has led to piecemeal hopeless city.

Archived