West Raleigh developments

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't as bad surface parking wise as the office buildings on that side of Trinity, but it is set back 150'+ from Trinity, and puts a retaining wall between the hotel and the road.

This could have been a start of a more pedestrian friendly developments, but pedestrians get to walk along Nowell and then up Trinity to the RBC Center. It is odd that it isn't near I-40 or Wade for visibility, though is close enough to be a short *drive* to the airport, RTP, downtown, etc.

I'd rather see something like this near the Edwards Mill/Wade corner than tucked in behind office buildings and apartments, but it isn't my call.

There was a lighted pededestrian tunnel built under Edwards Mill when it was extended, crossing from the RBC center property to where 40 Wade is being built. Supposedly Post is working with the RBC Center to give better access to the RBC Center from 40 Wade through the pedestrian tunnel. There was some meetings in the last month or so between Post and arena managment. The tunnel also goes under Wade Avenue and is lit, according to the story.

Coming from Schenck Forest: "You'll pass through two concrete culverts (under Wade and Edwards Mill) that could pass, imagination set free, for abandoned mines were they not lighted 24/7. And finally, taking the trail in this direction, you'll pass through an overgrown passage ripe with yellow, white and purple fall wildflowers before being spit out at Loblolly's southern trailhead parking lot at the RBC."

Tunnel section under Wade:

reg-1055574-652260.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

There was a lighted pededestrian tunnel built under Edwards Mill when it was extended, crossing from the RBC center property to where 40 Wade is being built. Supposedly Post is working with the RBC Center to give better access to the RBC Center from 40 Wade through the pedestrian tunnel. There was some meetings in the last month or so between Post and arena managment. The tunnel also goes under Wade Avenue and is lit, according to the story.

Coming from Schenck Forest: "You'll pass through two concrete culverts (under Wade and Edwards Mill) that could pass, imagination set free, for abandoned mines were they not lighted 24/7. And finally, taking the trail in this direction, you'll pass through an overgrown passage ripe with yellow, white and purple fall wildflowers before being spit out at Loblolly's southern trailhead parking lot at the RBC."

Tunnel section under Wade:

reg-1055574-652260.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

This is SOooooooooo making the case for a downtown arena site...IMHO!!!

• 3 months later...

Seems the Edwards Mill Extension project to NC54 / Chapel Hill Road went to bid and was awarded to a contractor on July 1st.. caught this on the city's website.

I had no idea this project was so far along. West Raleigh is pretty lacking in connectivity and this will help, although there's more to connectivity than just connectivity of arterials. The southern terminus of this extension is very close to the location of the proposed West Raleigh TTA station. The eventual plan is to extend it south to the future Western Blvd extension, and perhaps further still to Buck Jones Road.

Where would the Western Blvd Extension be to?

Ever notice how Cary Town Blvd changes names to Western Blvd as it crosses I-40 (and shortly thereafter deadends in a neighborhood)? The Western Blvd extension would connect that segment to the vicinity of the Harris Teeter at the corner of Jones Franklin and Western.

The city / DOT already own quite a bit of the right-of-way for this extension, and it has the potential to be a positive thing for the area, but if they don't get the design for the complicated Hillsborough / Western / Buck Jones / Jones Franklin / Xebec Way intersection right, it has the potential to do far more harm than good for connectivity, livability, and walkability in West Raleigh.

Ever notice how Cary Town Blvd changes names to Western Blvd as it crosses I-40 (and shortly thereafter deadends in a neighborhood)? The Western Blvd extension would connect that segment to the vicinity of the Harris Teeter at the corner of Jones Franklin and Western.

I completely had no idea. I never noticed the name change and just assumed that it was all Cary Towne Blvd there. Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks orulz! :)

I definitely agree, that area has the potential for becoming a giant cluster of traffic mayhem if not planned right. The entire road network right there might have to be reworked.

The city / DOT already own quite a bit of the right-of-way for this extension, and it has the potential to be a positive thing for the area, but if they don't get the design for the complicated Hillsborough / Western / Buck Jones / Jones Franklin / Xebec Way intersection right, it has the potential to do far more harm than good for connectivity, livability, and walkability in West Raleigh.

Just T-up Jones Franklin through Hillsborough, across the tracks to Chapel Hill Road and stop using those confusing ramps. They are nice for people familiar with the area but a pain for those who do not frequent the area. There are actually quite alot of homes in the area around Buck Jones etc that this Western Blvd extension would have to cross...I wonder exactly where it would go through there.

Take a look on wake county GIS's IMAPS and you'll get a pretty good idea.

This also gives you a pretty good idea of where Edwards Mill will go.

are the roads penciled in somewhere? I have an actual street map, and Western still seems to have nowhere to go but through houses and would need to wipe out existing streets.

Edit: Oh I see, IMAPS shows the actual ROW's that have already been acquired. very cool.

• 2 years later...

A little (well rather big actually) update out of nowhere that is a surprise...construction, after being announced all the way back in 2006 for a development across Edward Mills from the RBC center, has a new developer (Lennar) and is set to start construction! The part being built right now is the residential portion of the project, which will contain 307 homes and be known as "Inside Wade." The houses will be designed by local architects exclusively for the neighborhood. The homes will be designed to blend it with those your typically find inside the beltline, with steeper roof pitches and other characteristics of the 20th century.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/25/825165/lennar-reboots-wade-project.html

"Inside Wade": cute name. Other than Westover (which is a specific neighborhood), I guess I always wondered if there was a name for the area inside that "V" created by Wade and I-40, outside the beltline. Now we got one. :shades:

In other southwest Raleigh news, I think I read recently that the City found money to widen Buck Jones pretty soon. Though frankly, IMO, finishing Tryon widening from Lake Wheeler to Wilmington Street is more needed. :ermm:

"Inside Wade": cute name. Other than Westover (which is a specific neighborhood), I guess I always wondered if there was a name for the area inside that "V" created by Wade and I-40, outside the beltline. Now we got one. :shades:

I live in the Wade/40/440 triangle. I've always just called it West Raleigh. I would say that Westover is a distinct neighborhood within West Raleigh.

In other southwest Raleigh news, I think I read recently that the City found money to widen Buck Jones pretty soon. Though frankly, IMO, finishing Tryon widening from Lake Wheeler to Wilmington Street is more needed. :ermm:

There's a meeting tonight at 7:00 at Hope Community Church to review the design of Buck Jones Road.

There is very little in the way of pedestrian or bicycle linkage between Raleigh and Cary. Besides the gravel trails through Umstead, the only one I can think of is Tryon Road. Tryon has sidewalks, but they connect to very little on the Raleigh side. Buck Jones will be the only such linkage that actually connects to something on both ends.

I further divide that into north of Trinity and south of Trinity. Westover is an old almost-town that grew up along Hillsborough Street. Inside Wade is all this new stuff that insists it's centrally located while it simultaneously tries to imitate homes that *are* centrally located. Lame.

• 6 months later...

Archived