West Raleigh developments

Tayfromcarolina

I agree. I am afraid it went from a tight urban atmosphere with talk of a transit line running through it back in 2001's Colonial Properties plan to a parceled out Brier Creek/Mini City/Big box/Cary Development plan today. I almost would rather see it stand as a field.

I agree, it seems to be going in the wrong planning direction...sad! :(

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad to see some sort of developmeout out there. Although, this area had great potential for a tight urban setting, its naive to assume that this would ever be done. This is Raleigh after all. I hope that NCSU does develop their land very smart and create a dense environment right by the RBC Center. This area is a great gateway for Raleigh and should be viewed as such instead of just an exit off the highway to go to an event.

I'm just glad to see some sort of developmeout out there. Although, this area had great potential for a tight urban setting, its naive to assume that this would ever be done.
The "Build something, doesn't matter what, just build!" attitude is dangerous. That has a tendancy to net us winning developments like Crossroads.

I wouldn't be in a rush to approve anything in this area. Let it stay undeveloped until the right person with the right plan comes along. This may in fact be the "right plan" but to simply approve it because it was proposed would be unwise.

Since when did the RBC center create an atmosphere where development was required? Raleigh would function not just quite fine, but better, if this tract were left undeveloped for another 20 years or so. My girlfriend happens to live on the side of Trinity Rd and can see where this heap will be developed. The land out there is so beautiful...it rolls on and on, deer run through the fields, ducks swim in the creeks....we took a long walk down there last weekend and came back with almost a glazed look in our eyes at how cool it was to be able walk in such awesome woods (much better than Umstead imo) within shouting distance of the RBC center. If you could get the fat hairless monkeys out of their SUVs for such a walk, you just might have some support for holding off on developing this land recklessly, if at all.

I'm afraid that went out the window when the state decided to sell the land a few years ago. It is a shame. If he RBC Center was being built today, it surely would be DT, and much of this land wouldnt be developed. Time to move on...

good point, but unfortunately that isn't the case. And now it is time to develop the area intelligently. It is a great untapped area with enormous potential because of the draws to that area. More people venture there on any game night then downtown raleigh on any night. So this area needs to be treated as such. I wish a smart development such as North Hills would be considered near the arena.

good point, but unfortunately that isn't the case. And now it is time to develop the area intelligently. It is a great untapped area with enormous potential because of the draws to that area. More people venture there on any game night then downtown raleigh on any night. So this area needs to be treated as such. I wish a smart development such as North Hills would be considered near the arena.
I agree with you 100%,it would be great if this area had a entertainment slash,lifestyle center with a sports theme something like the Marquis that was proposed near I-440 and the Capital blvd years ago that plan fell apart never happened, i no some of you guys remember this proposal

• 2 months later...

Can someone post the newspaper's image of the plan? Or go look at it in the paper.

I like parkland as much as anyone, but a little space of trees between one major road and another building is not natural. It is really just a buffer and a waste. Why can't they build the development right up to Edwards Mill? I wouldn't want to live next to Edwards Mills but it would be fine for shops or offices.

Can someone post the newspaper's image of the plan? Or go look at it in the paper.

I like parkland as much as anyone, but a little space of trees between one major road and another building is not natural. It is really just a buffer and a waste. Why can't they build the development right up to Edwards Mill? I wouldn't want to live next to Edwards Mills but it would be fine for shops or offices.

Agreed, the buffer space fronting Edwards Mill is a waste. As a result, this project seems very disconnected from the RBC Center.

To clarify without a map, the land is actually next to Cardinal Gibbons.

Nice masterplan. I take it the large bubble areas on the left are for future development. Plan is introverted. No focus on development along Edwards Mill. That would have been urban edge along the road to contrast the wooded arena property on the east side.

Nice masterplan. I take it the large bubble areas on the left are for future development. Plan is introverted. No focus on development along Edwards Mill. That would have been urban edge along the road to contrast the wooded arena property on the east side.

Even though it's a part of this development, I think Trinity should be the focus for development (pedestrian-oriented). BTW, I have been to the Post Riverside in Atlanta and it is a quality development in a very similar setting. It is a very wooded corner of NW Atlanta in between Vinings/Smyrna and the City.

Even though it's a part of this development, I think Trinity should be the focus for development (pedestrian-oriented). BTW, I have been to the Post Riverside in Atlanta and it is a quality development in a very similar setting. It is a very wooded corner of NW Atlanta in between Vinings/Smyrna and the City.
Maybe the Canes winning it all!,can heighten the and bring more attention to Raleigh and this area for a Bigger and Better project,GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived