101 Eola -- New Project?

corpkid

Here's the whole apparatus...

p1050371oo4.jpg

and here's a closeup of the tip of the thing...

p1050372wf0.jpg

Its a big ass vibrator. You drive it into the ground and it vibrates using water. As you pull it out you backfill the hole with gravel. The vibration causes the fines to seperate from the gravel and rise to the top while the gravel settles into the hole. They will do this instead of augercasting and then bridge them together using a grade beam.

Its a pretty interesting way to do it. If you get close enough to the site you can probably feel the ground shake.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a big ass vibrator. You drive it into the ground and it vibrates using water. As you pull it out you backfill the hole with gravel. The vibration causes the fines to seperate from the gravel and rise to the top while the gravel settles into the hole. They will do this instead of augercasting and then bridge them together using a grade beam.

Its a pretty interesting way to do it. If you get close enough to the site you can probably feel the ground shake.

I would not want to be in the next building then. And thanks for the explanation.

should be popular with the ladies...

• 4 weeks later...

I would not want to be in the next building then. And thanks for the explanation.

You can definitely feel the vibration on the sidewalk and in the first few floors of The Sanctuary (not in higher floors, though).

• 1 month later...

They have a couple of small cranes on property and they were installing some precast concrete walls. This one is starting to come out of the ground.

you know, speaking of the "height" issue from that other thread, this is one of my favorite new bldgs. going up b/c of how it looks and what it will offer to the neighborhood, notwithstanding that it will only be 12-14 stories tall.

you know, speaking of the "height" issue from that other thread, this is one of my favorite new bldgs. going up b/c of how it looks and what it will offer to the neighborhood, notwithstanding that it will only be 12-14 stories tall.

Yeah I agree, same thing with the Dolive in my opinion

Certainly didn't excpect this to be a tilt-up job. Thats one big ass piece of precast. Did anyone get a chance to watch them lift it? If you get a chance to see it, it is very impressive. Nice shots. Thanks

It was impressive indeed. On Monday, I saw them installing ~10 ft walls on the south side and that seemed normal to me. When I walked up yesterday and saw these mammoth walls being lifted by that crane... :blink:

And yes -- it appears the "big red crane" from the Paramount site is now the "big red crane" at the 101 Eola site... Talk about communal construction equipment -- all of our equipment seems to shift from one site to another. Reminds me of most of my drunken college parties! :shades:

That was innapropriate... :D Moving on................

After a month or so of digging (WTF was all that digging about, anyways?) -- this thing is going vertical in a HURRY. Think of the houses just behind this "wall" they just put up... One day you get sunlight -- quite literally the next day, you're staring at a 40 foot concrete wall. :unsure:

After a month or so of digging (WTF was all that digging about, anyways?) -- this thing is going vertical in a HURRY. Think of the houses just behind this "wall" they just put up... One day you get sunlight -- quite literally the next day, you're staring at a 40 foot concrete wall. :unsure:

Sounds like you could be talking about the US-Mexico border as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived