Berry Farms Development, the Cool Springs of South Williamson County

Boisefan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Lord, this makes me want to throw up! Not only is the project completely unappealing to me, and not only does the name of it annoy the crap out of me, and not only is it ridiculously far out from downtown Nashville...but it is COMPLETELY uneeded, and I would say, simply being built because the people of that area want a status symbol. So much for Nashville metro's goal to not turn into the next Atlanta! By the way...where is the marketplace? It's a marketplace in name only designed to instill pleasant thoughts with all those who go there. Calling it what it is, a "Sprawling mess that destroyed natural wilderness surrounded by asphalt", doesn't really sound very appealing afterall. Also, where is this farm they speak of? It was probably what they are destroying to build this thing. Yet another clever play on words designed to instill pleasant thoughts in the minds of the suburbanites who claim to desire that "small town lifestyle" full of pleasant markets and farms...sorry folks. You HAD that. It was bulldozed...for an office park. It's so sad what we're doing to nature these days.

That's absolutely great Breaker! LOL... I'd only add one thing. This whole mess is being built by Boyle Properties. It's the same outfit that lured several of the big corporate HQs from DT Nashville with the promise of a "campus environment with miles and miles of free parking" to Cool Springs.

Boyle... as in a Boyle on the Ass of Suburbia.

Well, all this time I've been hoping that this would at least be all retail, but no, of course not. There's offices. There are actually about the same amount of offices as Cool Springs - I think it said the size of 4 Primus Buildings. And that's a big building. This is really disappointing. Nashville is truly going to have some bad sprawl with all of the these developments going up all around the city. We really can't rag on Atlanta very much, because not only are we sprawling, but we aren't even learning from what they did.

I doubt this is much desired by the people of the area. The people moved out here to get away from the sprawl obviously not realizing it would inevitably swallow them up, too. This is farmland, or was farmland, just like the land that Nissan is fittin' to build on. Just like the land that was Crescent Center and Corporate Center and Maryland Farms and Westhaven, McKay's Mill, Sullivan Farms, Gateway Village, Tanyard Springs, Ashton Park, Carronbridge, etc., etc. I don't know what metro Nashvlle has to do with this considering this is in Williamson, I just wish Franklin city government would get a hold of all this and try to contain it within the actual Franklin city borders. Franklin could become a great city in its own right if it would stop acting like a suburb.

Oh Lord, this makes me want to throw up! Not only is the project completely unappealing to me, and not only does the name of it annoy the crap out of me, and not only is it ridiculously far out from downtown Nashville...but it is COMPLETELY uneeded, and I would say, simply being built because the people of that area want a status symbol. So much for Nashville metro's goal to not turn into the next Atlanta! By the way...where is the marketplace? It's a marketplace in name only designed to instill pleasant thoughts with all those who go there. Calling it what it is, a "Sprawling mess that destroyed natural wilderness surrounded by asphalt", doesn't really sound very appealing afterall. Also, where is this farm they speak of? It was probably what they are destroying to build this thing. Yet another clever play on words designed to instill pleasant thoughts in the minds of the suburbanites who claim to desire that "small town lifestyle" full of pleasant markets and farms...sorry folks. You HAD that. It was bulldozed...for an office park. It's so sad what we're doing to nature these days.

Let's face it. The place is going to look exactly like the northern part of I-285 in Atlanta one day....probably sooner rather than later. Each project that gets announced is bigger than the last. Each project has a tremendous damaging effect on downtown Nashville, contributes the endless suburban sprawl, and is exactly NOT what the metro area needs.

Let's face it. The place is going to look exactly like the northern part of I-285 in Atlanta one day....probably sooner rather than later. Each project that gets announced is bigger than the last. Each project has a tremendous damaging effect on downtown Nashville, contributes the endless suburban sprawl, and is exactly NOT what the metro area needs.

HAHA, thanks Lexy and Brain...i guess i'm good at being negative huh? lol ;)

Hankster, I fear that you are right...BUT...one possibility, and who knows how much of a long shot this is...is that as inner city Nashville gets stronger and stronger it will become a mightier and mightier force in the region and begin to pull alot of the companies that might normally locate to the suburbs simply becasue it is so attractive now. Who knows? It could definitely happen. When Atlanta's big suburban boom began they didn't have a very strong core. So maybe...MAYBE...over time downtown Nashville will start to become a vortex and slowly suck some things BACK into the city. These stupid developers are just developing this way still because it is what they're used to, and its the way things have been done for awhile. Maybe if this project doesn't take off as well as they had hoped (which for some reason i'm getting a hunch that it might not) then it will hopefully signal to these developers that responsible development in the CITY is where its at. Am I being too optimistic, or do you think its possible?

I think something that might have a future effect on site of some future relocations may be the fact that so many of the Nissan corporate employees have purchased downtown condos. These are people from California who see the benefits of living in the urban core. Of course, Nissan's site is set, and these people will reverse commute to Williamson County. At some point, companies may not see the need to place themselves 25-30 miles out into the suburbs when they can have a happy, content workforce living and working inside the inner core of downtown Nashville. It's just a thought, but I believe the experience the new residents will have will have some weight in future decisions by others considering relocation.

Its just so weird that back when I was in High School an away football game to Franklin really wasn't much different than being at home in Dickson. - ha ha ha

I guess one way to look at this never-ending story of suburbia is that maybe with all this development we'll actually see another leg of the Music City Star. Of course this leg would a have reverse traffic pattern - taking all the people who live Downtown to their jobs in Williamson County.

I think something that might have a future effect on site of some future relocations may be the fact that so many of the Nissan corporate employees have purchased downtown condos. These are people from California who see the benefits of living in the urban core. Of course, Nissan's site is set, and these people will reverse commute to Williamson County. At some point, companies may not see the need to place themselves 25-30 miles out into the suburbs when they can have a happy, content workforce living and working inside the inner core of downtown Nashville. It's just a thought, but I believe the experience the new residents will have will have some weight in future decisions by others considering relocation.

There's a sign in Westhaven as you drive in that says, "Welcome Home Nissan." Damn you, Westhaven, with your million dollar faux-urbanity!

I work a quarter mile south of downtown Franklin, and I would move to downtown Nashville the minute a commuter rail line links the two.

There's a sign in Westhaven as you drive in that says, "Welcome Home Nissan." Damn you, Westhaven, with your million dollar faux-urbanity!

I work a quarter mile south of downtown Franklin, and I would move to downtown Nashville the minute a commuter rail line links the two.

wow, not suprised about the Westhaven thing, that place is just to big and sprawled out, and the houses are way way to close for the size that they are

HAHA, thanks Lexy and Brain...i guess i'm good at being negative huh? lol ;)

Hankster, I fear that you are right...BUT...one possibility, and who knows how much of a long shot this is...is that as inner city Nashville gets stronger and stronger it will become a mightier and mightier force in the region and begin to pull alot of the companies that might normally locate to the suburbs simply becasue it is so attractive now. Who knows? It could definitely happen. When Atlanta's big suburban boom began they didn't have a very strong core. So maybe...MAYBE...over time downtown Nashville will start to become a vortex and slowly suck some things BACK into the city. These stupid developers are just developing this way still because it is what they're used to, and its the way things have been done for awhile. Maybe if this project doesn't take off as well as they had hoped (which for some reason i'm getting a hunch that it might not) then it will hopefully signal to these developers that responsible development in the CITY is where its at. Am I being too optimistic, or do you think its possible?

I have the same hope too. Maybe being later to develop than Atlanta is a blessing. Right now, I think the odds are less than 50:50 for the hoped for outcome. However, if the momentum that is building downtown continues to grow, those odds may get quite a bit better. Let's keep our fingers crossed and keep talking up the virtues of urban living. Maybe someone out there is listening.

My feeling is that Williamson County and Franklin are free to pursue their own interests in any way they see fit, provided it serves their people properly. The future of Nashville should not be their primary focus, but rather the future of their county and city.

Perhaps my outlook would be different if I lived in Nashville or Davidson County, but living in Murfreesboro I have a slightly different outlook. I don't consider myself a Nashvillian. Personally I'm excited about the prospect of encouraging businesses to move their headquarters to Rutherford County. In that regard I sympathize with Williamson County.

All that said I certainly hope for the continued growth and economic stability of Nashville as it is vital to the growth and economy of Murfreesboro. However, it doesn't bother me that not every business wants to be located in downtown Nashville.

My feeling is that Williamson County and Franklin are free to pursue their own interests in any way they see fit, provided it serves their people properly. The future of Nashville should not be their primary focus, but rather the future of their county and city.

Perhaps my outlook would be different if I lived in Nashville or Davidson County, but living in Murfreesboro I have a slightly different outlook. I don't consider myself a Nashvillian. Personally I'm excited about the prospect of encouraging businesses to move their headquarters to Rutherford County. In that regard I sympathize with Williamson County.

All that said I certainly hope for the continued growth and economic stability of Nashville as it is vital to the growth and economy of Murfreesboro. However, it doesn't bother me that not every business wants to be located in downtown Nashville.

For Murfreesboro I can definitely see a justification for a more competitive spirit because Murfreesboro has always been its own city, and has only become truly connected to Nashville within the last few decades. The communities of Williamson County however, especially Brentwood, have always basically been leeches off of Nashville. They have almost always absolutely relied on Nashville for everything. Neither Brentwood nor Franklin would be anywhere near as successful as they are today were it not for Nashville. Hell, Brentwood wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Nashville. So for me, a community like that trying to suck life and vitality out of the city that gave it life in the first place by attempting to lure companies and people to it, can be compared to a child growing up in a nurturing home, and then once he/she is out on their own, robs their parents house and vandilizes it.

I don't have a problem with suburbs like the ones in Williamson Country attempting to strengthen their local economies and better their communities at all. There is nothing wrong with wanting success. Infact, I wish they would do MORE to improve the amenities in their communities. However, both of these communities (particularly Franklin) make it a point to attempt to compete DIRECTLY with Nashville as if they were enemies and not partners trying to succeed in improving the metro. Their complete disregard for their history and how much the city of Nashville has done for them, is not only insulting and irresponsible, it is downright selfish. Furthermore, if they absolutely insist on constructing yet ANOTHER one million square feet plus office park, it would be great if they actually did it by acknowledging the environment for once instead of bulldozing thousands of acres of farms, prairies, and forests in order to build another stale, boring, faceless office park surrounded by a sea of asphalt that nobody can feel pride in at all.

That's my view of this whole thing at least.

It's actually good looking project, though. So that's good.

And also, I'm not sure how many people who live in this area actually want this. It is very beautiful land, and the office parks and neighborhoods are taking over it all. Many residents of the area, also known as Goose Creek (I don't know why they're calling in Berry Farms), would rather drive to Cool Springs than lose their farmland.

Another thing that worries me, though, is that many people commute from Spring Hill to Cool Springs, and I'm sure many people will end up living even further away, and commute to "Berry Farms." This will be a big blow to preventing sprawl.

I agree with cheeriokid61, but look deeper at this issue.

a) The area 'around' Cool Springs has not been fully developed yet they are allowing a new development in a different area already? Unless this is to cater to a different type of Class A office space users, then it should not be allowed IMO. This will hinder Cool Springs development.

b) Goose Creek exit - have they communicated with TDOT on this? And since this is the last exit before 840, are they going to start building new exits next?

Also, Relient J and BnaBreaker both bring up good points. Murfreesboro is and has been a city on its own and would still be there if there was never a Nashville. Brentwood is founded on the principal of 'closest spot to Nashville without the taxes' while Franklin is offering incentives to companies in Davidson Co. to move to Franklin - Cool Springs. Neither of these approaches help metro as a whole; because it will only stick a few extra bucks in somebody's pockets (other than u or I, if ya know what I mean). Class A office space in CS was the cheapest in metro - when development first started. This attracted cheap companies. The sad part is, they will eventually both overtax the companies that provide the strong tax base they enjoy today. And then...

We are happy Nissan came to Nashville, I would have been happier if it was built on Manson Pike. I truely think it was a missed opportunity for Murfreesboro. Anyway, unless Murfreesboro starts trying to rob big brother, I doubt anyone would not wish them happy endeavors.

^ I'm curious: what in your mind would constitute Murfreesboro robbing big brother? I assume "big brother" is Nashville. I agree with you that it would have been wonderful if Nissan had relocated to Murfreesboro, yet I sense that if that had happened there would be a lot of people on this forum who would be unhappy with that. I can totally understand that if they're coming from a pro-Nashville perspective.

I guess the broader question (and I'll throw this out to everyone) in light of this thread is: what role do you think that Franklin/Williamson County and Murfreesboro/Rutherford county should play in regards to Nashville?

I'll reiterate that my position is that these entities should be far more concerned with the interests of their own people above the direct interests of Nashville. When something is good for both Nashville and these cities/counties that's fine too, but I can't see how creating higher density in Nashville's urban core is typically in the best interests of these outlying areas.

Archived