Least 'southern' city in the south

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as i have heard in the past "Saying you are from atlanta is a polite way of saying you are from the north"....i don't think i could have said it any better

It is? Since when? I have lived in metro Atlanta my entire life, and I have never thought of it as resembling anything culturally northern. About 60-65% of the residents of Metro Atlanta are native southerners. Hardly a northern town. Nearly 50% of Metro Atlanta residents are native Georgians.

Other than a few areas, Atlanta is largely a cosmopolitan "southern" city.

As far as the "least southern" outside of Florida, if we can include Texas, it'd be El Paso.

However, if we're talking about the southeast, I'd have to say Atlanta, even though it is still southern, as stated above.

As far as attitude I would go with Cary...but it call itself a town sooooo...There is no real way for me to answer this. All the southern cities I have visited have still retained the southern feel. Yes you can have alot of transplants but the feel is still southern to me...Last time I was in ATL that drawl was just as thick.

I don't think there are actually 'cities' that are less southern, but suburban areas that are populated by large numbers of transplants. Especially with the suburban areas, they are developed without any regional identity - making them 'neutral zones'

The most transplant dominated suburban areas are in:

Raleigh

Charlotte

Atlanta

Washington

also Nashville has a huge number of Chicago transplants

As far as feel, I don't know. Just about every city in the South has a good share of sprawl and to me, that's pretty southern.

But as for feel, I'd say that Washington's density and liberal population makes it very UNsouthern. Greenville's downtown is said to be very European.

It's all in the way you think about it.

There are poclets of metro Atlanta that don't have a very southern feel; Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Parts of Gwinnett County, but overall I think the region is still southern. Believe it or not, a city in teh south can be big and cosmopolitan and still be southern. We have GOT to get a out of the mentality that a large southern city is no longer southern. In Coweta county there are a TON of Michiganian transplants and I don agree that a large influx of transplanlanta dilute the southern feel of an area, but usually the transplants start becoming southern themselves

There are poclets of metro Atlanta that don't have a very southern feel; Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Parts of Gwinnett County, but overall I think the region is still southern. Believe it or not, a city in teh south can be big and cosmopolitan and still be southern. We have GOT to get a out of the mentality that a large southern city is no longer southern. In Coweta county there are a TON of Michiganian transplants and I don agree that a large influx of transplanlanta dilute the southern feel of an area, but usually the transplants start becoming southern themselves

Exactly what I was trying to get at. I think the south will always have an inferior attitude when it comes to other regions of the country. There is no need for it because the growth that is happening is for a reason. A southern city doesn't have to be less southern to be a boom town.

The sprawl issue is pretty much the model of growth for cities in this country for the most part. Most southern cities did grow up dense and in the case of NC cities where not very big at the begining of our country. I think it is a love it or hate it thing. I like to compare sprawl with Jake Delhomme. One sunday you will love him because he is making great plays but on another he is throwing interceptions all over the place. Sprawl is not a great development model but it is what is fueling the staggering growth of southern cities. :shades:

Are you saying that Jacksonville is not old and southern, but more like Miami and Orlando and Tampa? Same goes for Tallahassee and Pensacola, these are VERY southern cities, no joke. My neighborhood is filled with old southern money and is well known as an old southern neighborhood (Ortega). Northern Florida is still deep old south (except for the beaches and places near the beach).

Surprised no one mentioned Louisville. It is listed as "southern" but it certainly isnt totally that way. It is definitely the "least southern" city that is considered southern. It has the suburbs with the northern transplants, AND an urban area that is very Midwestern to begin with. The fact that 25% of its metro resides in Indiana only prove sthe point further.

Archived