Nashville's Great Neighborhood Centers

bzorch

One correction here, Madison and Donelson, etc., were never separate incorporated cities. At the time of the creation of Metro, no formerly incorporated town "opted in" to Metro. The entire point of Metro's creation was to halt any attempts (which were growing in momentum) at incorporations of other communities within Davidson County. To my knowledge, in the history of the county, only Edgefield ever incorporated and allowed itself to be annexed into the old city, long before Metro.

So... i'm royally confused lol. Are you saying Madison and Donelson were never really legally considered cities? Were they just considered a part of Nashville at the time Metro was created or what? Madison at the moment, as well as Hermitage and Old Hickory and others... as far as the postal system is concerned... have seperate addresses from Nashville.... so what are they exactly?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I didn't mean to open this whole can of worms. But it would be nice to know for sure. We need one of the older folks on the forum like Dave (dude's like 70) to chime in. I always thought the whole county was, in effect, Nashville. One government, one tax system, etc. The population figures given for Nashville include the whole county, right?

Thanks for the correction.

All of the cities are in Davidson County, but they are not all part of Metropolitan Nashville/Davidson County. In effect, there is no part of the county that is not part of Metro or one of the other cities. Most counties have an unincorporated area that is not part of any city. Census provides population figures that show the population for the entire county, the population for Metro (Nashville-Davidson balance), and the population for other cities. Here is the 2000 Census table for TN cities.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTa...t=ST-7&-_sse=on

Go down to Nashville for the breakout. The first figure for Nashville is actually the Davison County population. I cross-checked this on the county table. 2004 estimates for Davidson County and Nashville are also on line at Census at:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFP...ng=en&pctxt=fph

If you really want to have fun with numbers, you can go to the Tennessee Department of Revenue and the Tennessee Office of the Comptroller websites and get info on the sales and property tax rates and collections for each of the cities. Whee! :silly:

So... i'm royally confused lol. Are you saying Madison and Donelson were never really legally considered cities? Were they just considered a part of Nashville at the time Metro was created or what? Madison at the moment, as well as Hermitage and Old Hickory and others... as far as the postal system is concerned... have seperate addresses from Nashville.... so what are they exactly?

In 1963, when Metro was created, there were 7 separate incorporated communities independent of the city of Nashville within Davidson County. Ridgetop (incorporated in 1935), Belle Meade (incorporated in 1938), Berry Hill (incorporated in 1950), Oak Hill (incorporated in 1952), Forest Hills (incorporated in 1957), Goodlettsville (incorporated in 1958) and Lakewood (incorporated in 1959). Madison and Donelson, for example, were neither incorporated prior to Metro, nor formally within the city limits, they were urbanized areas within Davidson County.

The U.S. Census bureau in 1960 considered the following areas sufficiently urbanized to include them in their listings (as unincorporated urbanized areas): Donelson (pop. 17,195); Inglewood (pop. 26,527); Madison (pop. 13,583); Providence (pop. 3,830); Woodbine-Radnor-Glencliff (pop. 14,485); and Woodmont-Green Hills-Glendale (pop. 23,161). There were, of course, umpteen different named areas around the county that were not formally a part of the city of Nashville.

Fortunately for the city of Nashville, the towns that had incorporated to that point were extremely small (less than 5k -- only one, Goodlettsville, due to the fact it straddles two counties, has ever exceeded that population), but there was considerable worry that an incorporation movement amongst the other unincorporated areas would be soon to come. Had Nashville city & Davidson county voters not finally approved the measure by 1963, this would be a vastly different place today. By 1960, the old city itself was already suffering from outward migration/decay, losing 5,000 people since 1950 (175k to 170k). I don't have the precise figures, but if the city were still within its old pre-1960 boundaries, the population might not be substantially over 100-125k (the 4th largest city in the state), and plurality/majority Black.

Wow... you guys really know your stuff.. thanx :thumbsup:

I guess the only thing i'm really confused about now... is if Hermitage (for example) is technically part of Nashville, and not a seperate city like some of the others... then why do I have a Hermitage address? lol

Obviously there's others like that too... but Hermitage isn't listed on the census bureau site... so i'm assuming its combined in the Nashville-Davidson (balance). Is this just the crazy postal system or what? lol

Wow... you guys really know your stuff.. thanx :thumbsup:

I guess the only thing i'm really confused about now... is if Hermitage (for example) is technically part of Nashville, and not a seperate city like some of the others... then why do I have a Hermitage address? lol

Obviously there's others like that too... but Hermitage isn't listed on the census bureau site... so i'm assuming its combined in the Nashville-Davidson (balance). Is this just the crazy postal system or what? lol

That's not terribly unusual. I'm in Antioch and have always had an Antioch address despite having been in the city of Nashville since Metro. It's all due to post offices which were located in communities large and small whether or not they were incorporated. Just be grateful you didn't move to the lovely and nearly-forgotten locale in Nashville known as Mudtavern. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was getting a bit slow this weekend, so I took some photos of some photos on my walk. Photos always seems to get the forum going when news is slow.

A look at some of the architecture in Hillsboro Village

Hillsboro%20Village%201.jpg

A great little commercial building on Belmont Blvd.

Belmont_Blvd1.jpg

Some Photos of 12 South

12South1.jpg

12South2.jpg

12South3.jpg

12South4.jpg

12South5.jpg

12South6.jpg

12South7.jpg

12South9.jpg

12South10.jpg

Archived