Jersey City Skyline

flotown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Jersey City is definiltly a sight. Ive been to New York City and Hoboken and was very impressed. Guess I need to make my way over to Jersey City

IMO, Jersey City (at least the waterfront area) is a big place to store people and jobs in big buildings. Hoboken is much more fun. Nevermind that I'm eyeing a couple of JC neighborhoods for when I move in summer. Cost is the big factor, though.

• 2 months later...

Damn, I woulda moved there too if I had gotten a job in NYC. Too bad. Cost of living isn't bad at all either, I found a bunch of 1BR's near PATH stations for $1000/month incl. utilities. Factor in the cheap transportation costs and it aint bad at all...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I'd rather have that than what some parts of JC are now. Have you been on Ocean Ave and MLK Blvd lately? Say what you will, Hoboken is a nice city. The JC I envision is diverse, but also safe and pleasing to the eye (i.e. not filthy, neglected, and run down).

In the past 15 years, much of the city has cleaned itself up.

That number is deceptive - the ~240,000 population is in roughly 20 square miles, which is why the downtown is large and compact - if you stretched out Jersey City to more resemble most other American cities it would suddenly jump into the top 20 list. It has a density of over 10,000 per square mile. At any rate, it will be neat to see this area in 30 years or so, may look similar to it's neighbor across the river.

That's the case with most northeastern cities, though. Cities in the northeast tend to cover small geographic areas, whereas "newer" cities in the South and West tend to have more fluid, expandable boundaries. I once saw someone in a UP South thread brag that Winston-Salem NC had something like 200,000 people in "only" 100-something square miles. I didn't find that very impressive, b/c my entire county is about 120 sq miles and has about 800,000 people.

I'd rather be in a neighborhood full of working middle-class adults and families (which JC has lots of) than a place where all you hear on the streets at 3 AM is Newark Nickie yelling at people and throwing trash cans in the street b/c some dude at the bar stared at his girl's tits!

That's the case with most northeastern cities, though. Cities in the northeast tend to cover small geographic areas, whereas "newer" cities in the South and West tend to have more fluid, expandable boundaries. I once saw someone in a UP South thread brag that Winston-Salem NC had something like 200,000 people in "only" 100-something square miles. I didn't find that very impressive, b/c my entire county is about 120 sq miles and has about 800,000 people.

• 5 months later...

Archived