new mall in spartanburg?

jaxpalmer

Is the demand not there? why cant another mall or at least a towne center type shopping experience mall be built in spartanburg? that would light things up! seriously, there needs/should be more options in terms of shopping in spartanburg. maybe later down the road something will develop...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it. Westgate is having trouble keeping occupied. Its at 83% right now, which is its lowest point since the rennovation about 10 years ago. Though most of that is due to Profits moving out, its still not a good sign.

The Summit Pointe project is moving rediculously slow. That could be the developer's fault though.

I think that we could support a smaller lifestyle center, and I'm banking on Spartanburg's record of bad planning decisions that we will get one similar to Greenridge, though smaller, eventually.

If they are smart, the will reinvest in the existing commercial areas rather than expand into a lot of new ones.

The Eastside coudl probably support some more retail. Thats just my opinion since I would like to see more stuff onmy side of town.

What Spartanburg is lacking in are the national chain restaurants. There are suprisingly few of them in the area for a city its size.

Do you think that since S-burg is home to Denny's, they're possibly exerting "pressure" to limit the growth of restaurants there?

I doubt it. Restauranteurs are yet to discover Spartanburg.

As for Denny's, it would help them to add more locations through the upstate. Greenville can easily support five or six.

Another mall for Spartanburg? Doubtful in the near term. I do expect more retail and commercial development on the eastside and Boiling Springs. Has anyone seen Boiling Springs lately? This area is booming. The area surrounding Wal-Mart has really exploded with development.

A new mall could conceivably open in the Boiling Springs area in 10-15 years, that is if "malls" are still relevant.

Most of Westgate's problem's are the result the downsizing of national chains and the demise of Proffits. Hopefully, the Proffitts space can be filled soon. I'm hoping Macy's will open a store there.

Between the Dorman Center and Westagate mall there are plenty of choices on the Westside. I think Kohl's is ready to open this weekend. I think the Eastside is ready for more and Boiling Springs is exploding. However, I don't think Sptbg is ready for a new mall, but I feel we are very ready for more restaurant choices. I would love to see Summitt Pointe turn into a more oraganized version of all the restaurants off of Pelham. I know I've probably said this before, but with the mall, hotels, Spartan 16 and Wesgate cinamas that whole area needs food.

Even so, I'm excited about more restaurant choices coming to downtown. I hope we can continue to grow in that aspect.

Do you guys think online sales will ultimately be the downfall of big box malls?

This might not be the appropriate place for this comment but I can think of at least ten national restaurant chains that have not located in Spartanburg yet: They are:

Hooters

Chili's

Olive Garden

Starbucks

Macaroni Grill

Max & Ermas

Red Robin

Sticky Fingers

Damon's Ribs

Cheeseburger in Paradise

There are probably many more that Spartanburg could support. Any thoughts?

Do you think that since S-burg is home to Denny's, they're possibly exerting "pressure" to limit the growth of restaurants there?

Absolutely not. Denny's is not high up in the chain restaurant business, so I doubt it has that much pull.

I would think the northside would at least get a power center, either off of I 26 or hwy 9. Maybe even on I 85 itself as a redevelopment of some closed industrial facility.

I'd say at Hwy 9 just north of 85 some place. A power centet is not out of the question. Some sort of major retailing center will likely locate in Boiling Springs at some point because of the growth in that area.

As for chain restaurants?

Texas Road House

Carrabas

Fazoli's

Krystal

Steak'n'Shake

Backyard Burgers

Many more, I'm sure.

I want a Smokey Bones. That place rocks.

Most all of these restaurants that we've listed so far are located in Anderson, so I know that we can support them.

This thing on the eastside looks promising. They said it would be enough room for a major retailer. Maybe this will be hhgregg? I don't know what else could go there... Maybe a Circuit City or B&N or something. Any thoughts?

I went into hhgregg in Anderson, and I feel misled abuot this store. I thought that it was similar to Best Buy or Circuit Citym but it is not. They only sell large home appliances and home entertainment equipment like TV's and stero systems. No electronics like cameras and computers, etc. Not necesarily bad, just not what I expected.

The outparcels could all be restaurants. I'd like to see an OCharley's on the Eastside. There are two or three in front of home depot, not to mention that there are supposed to be more stores in that area anyway.

I went into hhgregg in Anderson, and I feel misled abuot this store. I thought that it was similar to Best Buy or Circuit Citym but it is not. They only sell large home appliances and home entertainment equipment like TV's and stero systems. No electronics like cameras and computers, etc. Not necesarily bad, just not what I expected.

hhgregg in Greenville has electronics, including cameras and computers, etc. I didn't know the one in Anderson doesn't. That is kind of surprising.

I don't see Spartanburg building another mall anytime soon, because Westgate is a very large and impressive one for a city this size. Be thankful Spartanburg has this one, because most cities anywhere near this size would give a whole lot to have a Westgate Mall. I agree with Spartan that a new lifestyle center would be a nice addition. I think Hillcrest is plenty for the Eastside today, but that area could become a taget in the near future. The place I see becoming most prime for major retail is the Westside, between I-26 and I-85 on U.S. 29. There are lots of new residental developments in this area and more to come very soon, so I expect to see the demand for retail grow in this area. I don't like the layout of Dorman Centre, so if a new center is to be built, I hope it is more like Cherrydale Pointe in Greenville - everything pretty much together, not split up. :)

Do you guys think online sales will ultimately be the downfall of big box malls?

I doubt it in some areas. Customers would like to go in person for clothes, home appliances, cars, groceries, etc.

As for restaurants and eateries, I would like to see Jack in the Box shake up the fast food chains in Spartanburg. I think Duncan is their only Spartanburg County location.

hhgregg in Greenville has electronics, including cameras and computers, etc. I didn't know the one in Anderson doesn't. That is kind of surprising.

I don't see Spartanburg building another mall anytime soon, because Westgate is a very large and impressive one for a city this size. Be thankful Spartanburg has this one, because most cities anywhere near this size would give a whole lot to have a Westgate Mall. I agree with Spartan that a new lifestyle center would be a nice addition. I think Hillcrest is plenty for the Eastside today, but that area could become a taget in the near future. The place I see becoming most prime for major retail is the Westside, between I-26 and I-85 on U.S. 29. There are lots of new residental developments in this area and more to come very soon, so I expect to see the demand for retail grow in this area. I don't like the layout of Dorman Centre, so if a new center is to be built, I hope it is more like Cherrydale Pointe in Greenville - everything pretty much together, not split up. :)

Ok, i take it back, they did have cameras and cell phones and such. I still dont remember seeing computers there. If they did have them, they were well hidden.

This might not be the appropriate place for this comment but I can think of at least ten national restaurant chains that have not located in Spartanburg yet: They are:

Hooters

Chili's

Olive Garden

Starbucks

Macaroni Grill

Max & Ermas

Red Robin

Sticky Fingers

Damon's Ribs

Cheeseburger in Paradise

There are probably many more that Spartanburg could support. Any thoughts?

Wow, I didn't know Spartanburg lacked a couple of national chains like this. Rock Hill has the first four on the list, with three of them right around the corner from my apartment complex. So what about Outback, Longhorn, O'Charley's, and Ruby Tuesday?

So what about Outback, Longhorn, O'Charley's, and Ruby Tuesday?

We have all of those. We have plenty of chains, don't misunderstand me. But you see my point? I am having trouble understanding why we can't attract these things when both Anderson and Rock Hill have them. I'm thinking they just haven't been able to find a good spot.

The eastside area has lots of room for some new stuff, and w have mentioned Summit Pointe, which could do the same.

I doubt it in some areas. Customers would like to go in person for clothes, home appliances, cars, groceries, etc.

As for restaurants and eateries, I would like to see Jack in the Box shake up the fast food chains in Spartanburg. I think Duncan is their only Spartanburg County location.

There is a Jack in the Box across from Dorman Centre on the westside and also on East Main on the Eastside. Been there a couple of times and wasn't impressed.

What hurts the eastside is poor access to the interstates. The new Floyd Road connector will help but it's years away. If I were a retailer searching for a location I would be wary of the eastside for this reason. Otherwise, the demographics are strong.

Regarding the restaurant chains, I see no reason why the aforementioned ones can't find a location in Spartanburg. Westgate is the obvious location for many but what about I-85 and SC-9? What about the Reidville Road corridor west of I-26? What about US-29 west of I-26? What about SC-9 in Boiling Springs?

GAFFNEY has a starbucks's

but with the topic... you'd be crazy to want to put another mall in spartanburg. nuts in fact. i think the good move would be to move some business downtown (most likely the nicer stores, although it would be cool to see another woolworth's.....) i think there's some missing business there. we have so many areas that could be used i think id shoot someone if they built another red light or another mall

Archived