new mall in spartanburg?

jaxpalmer

Is that Gafney's Starbucks (hard to believe) near I-85? If so, then it isn't a 'Gafney' Starbucks in that sense, a similar sized town called Tifton, GA being halfway between Macon GA & Valdosta GA has a Starbucks near I-75 too. Those are convinience Starbucks, not intended to serve the area.

Besides downtown Spartanburg seemed to have a nice coffee shop last time I was there - who needs Star*ucks?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to yearn for a Starbucks, but now with Hub city coffee, Isha Cafe, and the new Crossroads Coffee house I don't know if downtown really wants it now. There is also Starbucks in the Marriott. It's in Club 299.

Agree totally on the interstate access to the Eastside. If they could move that project up, that area could explode.

Would the proposed Cowpens-to-Woodruff highway help with access? I doubt it would be an Interstate, but it could function as a limited access intrastate.

I prefer my idea but this would suffice. This proposed road is probably light years away from becoming a reality due to SCDOT budgetary restraints, NIMBY'S, anti-sprawl proponents, and other do-gooders.

I prefer my idea but this would suffice. This proposed road is probably light years away from becoming a reality due to SCDOT budgetary restraints, NIMBY'S, anti-sprawl proponents, and other do-gooders.

Had it been thought of 30 years ago, I would favor an expressway similar to Columbia's SC-277 from I-585 eastward of BUS-85 to Lan-Yair.

Is that Gafney's Starbucks (hard to believe) near I-85? If so, then it isn't a 'Gafney' Starbucks in that sense, a similar sized town called Tifton, GA being halfway between Macon GA & Valdosta GA has a Starbucks near I-75 too. Those are convinience Starbucks, not intended to serve the area.

Besides downtown Spartanburg seemed to have a nice coffee shop last time I was there - who needs Star*ucks?

The one in Tifton is exactly what I do not want to see. And you are exactly right. We have some great coffee shops now, so who needs it? I hear that Cross Roads is pretty good. They stay open late too.

Would the proposed Cowpens-to-Woodruff highway help with access? I doubt it would be an Interstate, but it could function as a limited access intrastate.

No. That would help Union, Cherokee, and southern and eastern Spartanburg (Woodruff-Pacolet) counties. It woudl not help access to the Eastside. IMO, the Hillcrest area is similar to Cherydale in Greenville in that it is not near an interstate, but still a vital and significant shopping district for the surrounding area, but not so minor that it is at the "Cedar Springs" level.

The odds of this road coming to fruition are very slim. IMO if we focus on upgrading out existing roads and provinding adequate access to all of our areas we will solve the problem.

If they really wanted to tie things together they should build a direct road from Spartanburg to Rock Hill.

No. That would help Union, Cherokee, and southern and eastern Spartanburg (Woodruff-Pacolet) counties. It woudl not help access to the Eastside. IMO, the Hillcrest area is similar to Cherydale in Greenville in that it is not near an interstate, but still a vital and significant shopping district for the surrounding area, but not so minor that it is at the "Cedar Springs" level.

This reminds me of the "northern connector" that has been talked about in northern Greenville County.

If they really wanted to tie things together they should build a direct road from Spartanburg to Rock Hill.

Is SC-5 from I-85 to Rock Hill being widened to four lanes?

I used to yearn for a Starbucks, but now with Hub city coffee, Isha Cafe, and the new Crossroads Coffee house I don't know if downtown really wants it now. There is also Starbucks in the Marriott. It's in Club 299.

Agree totally on the interstate access to the Eastside. If they could move that project up, that area could explode.

The starbucks in the marriott never got built (i didnt think, last time i was there it was empty...) but i was being sarcastic really. i hate gaffney's set up, it's a prime example of wal-mart town usa. a sad sad sight. i'm not a big coffee drinker myself so i havent really paid any attention to those type of shops, although i was in java jive a lot. i'd love to see another one ;)

i disagree with interstate access to the eastside. it would draw attention away from downtown, and build too much traffic in a still slightly quaint part of town. i think that money could be better used to have a better mass transit system (just my opinion).

The starbucks in the marriott never got built (i didnt think, last time i was there it was empty...) but i was being sarcastic really. i hate gaffney's set up, it's a prime example of wal-mart town usa. a sad sad sight. i'm not a big coffee drinker myself so i havent really paid any attention to those type of shops, although i was in java jive a lot. i'd love to see another one ;)

i disagree with interstate access to the eastside. it would draw attention away from downtown, and build too much traffic in a still slightly quaint part of town. i think that money could be better used to have a better mass transit system (just my opinion).

You're right, the Starbuck's was never built, but Club 299 does serve Starbucks coffee.

I was never a big fan of Java Jive, but I think another establishment of that type would do very well. It would be cool to see it located on Ezell near the old Java Jive (which is now being converted into that oyster bar as part of Sonny's).

and i'm sure lots of yall will disagree with me, but i like that spartanburg doesnt have lots of chains. it kinda keeps spartanburg "spartanburg"

I've never thought of it that way. I agree to an extent. I don't think it detracts from our city to not have these chains. We probably have more good local restaurants as a result. But I wouldn't mind a few more chains, namely Olive Garden and Chili's and such.

Archived