TWELVE Hotels and Residences

TowerRooster

Well, looks like Mr. Smith has made a public confirmation on the start two anticipated projects at once... one LONG anticipated (the Levine urban village) and one only recently rumored (a TWELVE in Charlotte). :w00t: Interestingly enough, the TWELVE will be the first big development on the Levine land itself. They'll be putting it right across 7th St. from 7th street station, apparently, where the Green Market is now. In another interesting twist, there'll be space for the NC Dance Theater on the first two floors. Also, they announce that it will be adjacent to a 4 acre park... had they previously said how large that park would be?

Oh yeah... the article link...

Charlotte Observer announces TWELVE on Levine land

edit: the 25,000-30,000 sq/ft is not retail, but civic space for the NC Dance Theater

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news for CLT. We stayed at TWELVE in ATL Sunday. Very nice and the service was excellent. We had the 2 bedroom suite and it was like we were renting an upscale condo. It will be interesting to watch how hotels like the Marriott and Omni react.

If you get the printed version of the paper, there is a full page spread of this hotel/condo thing in the business section. I am not exactly sure why they think this is innovative as they have been building property like this in Myrtle Beach for decades. Unfortunately the building, as depicted in the renderings, looks like a Myrtle Beach condo tower with two add-on spires bolted onto the top.

Good news - another 35+ story tower downtown.

Bad news - more dull architecture

I think the more interesting news about this is the fact it sounds like they are finally committing to building an urban village along with the hotel/condo. Hopefully this will go a long way to adding some badly needed density between the square and 1st ward.

I haven't seen the printed copy yet, but it sounds like they just published a picture of TWELVE Atlantic Station. The architect of that project is TVS (who is doing our new Wachovia tower). This architect will be SRSS, who did Hearst, IJL, plus the current Novare tower under construction and the future Ritz. (not saying that SRSS produced the must cutting edge designs either). Anyway, it will be like all other novare project. Tall, boxy, floor to ceiling glass, and protruding balconies.

Graydog.....I'm glad to hear you liked the hotel. I really want to stay in one.

I think that it's great that Charlotte will be the second market in the country for this new brand (and the 1st announced for the Aloft brand). It seems odd that Charlotte would be a test market for new hip hotels considering we are one of the weaker hotel markets in the country.

This is a great spot for a tower of this size. It will "step down" the skyline between Hearst and 525. N Tryon. It will also be the only high-rise on that east west axis between 7th and 8th. It also will expand the skyline east like 210 Trade.

Atlrvr is correct, the image in the print edition is the TWELVE in Atlanta, they haven't released any renderings of the Charlotte project yet.

I would expect them to pick up some style elements from Seventh Street Station. That should chill your bones.

I didn't see this one coming, but this is fantastic news. Maybe we're about to see a real wave of development on Levine's property!

Well, looks like Mr. Smith has made a public confirmation on the start two anticipated projects at once... one LONG anticipated (the Levine urban village) and one only recently rumored (a TWELVE in Charlotte). :w00t: Interestingly enough, the TWELVE will be the first big development on the Levine land itself. They'll be putting it right across 7th St. from 7th street station, apparently, where the Green Market is now. In another interesting twist, there'll be space for the NC Dance Theater on the first two floors. Also, they announce that it will be adjacent to a 4 acre park... had they previously said how large that park would be?

Oh yeah... the article link...

Charlotte Observer announces TWELVE on Levine land

edit: the 25,000-30,000 sq/ft is not retail, but civic space for the NC Dance Theater

I'm surprised you beat dubone to posting this!

I'm surprised you beat dubone to posting this!

lol... i'm an insomniac, and I was actually going to the Observer looking for something else when I stumbled upon this shocker. I agree with metro about being mostly excited that the Levine stuff is finally getting rolling... it actually made it even harder for me to fall asleep, and (i'm a total loser, but...) I actually dreamed about the Levine village. However, it's not encouraging to hear that the architect of TWELVE Atlantic Station is designing the new Wachovia tower. <_<

hey, what do you guys think this means for novare's other location (where angry ale's is)? i know some of us had speculated that to be the site of a TWELVE. i know that site isn't slated for ground breaking for quite some time, but do you think it will be a tall project? will it become all condo? all this is great news.:)

I think the Angry Ale's location will be their tallest yet....they are partnering with an office developer in Atlanta to do a office/condo/hotel in Midtown there, and I can see that as being the ideal site to do a similar concept here.....

It seems that the likely timeline for an announcement there is in Summer 2007, with construction beginning Spring-Summer 2008.

I think we'll just keep this thread separate from the Angry Ales project, as we keep separate threads for each high rise project.

Here is a quick image I did off of one of Mo's Courtside pics. I used Dixies as the measurement for 2 stories, so 32 stories came out like this:

post-670-1140647768_thumb.jpg

post-670-1140647768_thumb.jpg

Atlrvr is correct, the image in the print edition is the TWELVE in Atlanta, they haven't released any renderings of the Charlotte project yet.

I would expect them to pick up some style elements from Seventh Street Station. That should chill your bones.

Actually the paper said it would resemble the one in ATL.

This was the one in the paper that I didn't like.

194113189664.jpg

However a this version looks a lot better.

twelve_atlantic.jpg

There is a website for the building now but there isn't much there yet.

http://www.twelvecharlotte.com/ Edit: opps, I notice that was posted earlier.

From Novare Group Web Site

TWELVE CHARLOTTE

On the block bounded by 7th Street, College Street, 8th Street and the trolley line in Uptown Charlotte, NC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximately 400 condominium residences

Approximately 150 room TWELVE SM Hotel

The amenities for which Novare communities are noted

A signature restaurant/bar in the Lobby

Street level retail space

Rehearsal, dance school and office space for North Carolina Dance Theater

Construction expected begin year end 2006

www.twelvecharlotte.com

I like the part that construction starts at end of 2006.

Great news for Charlotte, great news for Novare.

I think the hotel industry in Charlotte is maturing....take the annoucement of the Ritz Carlton. Charlotte is befitting of a TWELVE hotel. The only other city in the southeast that is equally befitting would be Nashville. Novare is quick with it's development and if they say the last quarter of 2006 then I would expect the last quarter of 2006 or first quarter of 2007 at the latest.

I will also say this....the TWELVE Atlantic Station looks much better in person than the rendering. The fins at night are so attracive. On a 33-35 story building, it will definitely enahnce an already appealing Charlotte skyline.

Archived