Metro Detroit regions hug the bottom of the list

speck76

The index ranks the 200 largest U.S. metros based on their ability to create and sustain jobs.

The complete list here http://bestcities.milkeninstitute.org/

Local highlights:

Ann Arbor MI #156

Kalamazoo-Portage MI #169

Holland-Grand Haven MI #177

Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI Metropolitan Division #192

Grand Rapids-Wyoming MI #193

Warren-Farmington Hills-Troy, MI Metropolitan Division #195

Toledo #196

Lansing/East Lansing #197

Flint #200

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is horrible. Michigan is pretty much the lowest state. But really speck76, what is up with you only posting the negatives. It is starting to really get repetitive.

Not all of my posts are negative.....you can get off of the "Speck is negative" bandwagon anytime now. But a better question for you (and all of the others) is what's up with the wide-eyed optimism? The city has crappy leaders, it has had crappy leaders (sans Archer) since the 70's.

I think this article in The Detroit News hit is on the head: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...ION03/602220342

As I have said before....and is repeated in the article, the private sector needs to step up, as the public sector has never done anything with long-term success to improve the city.

It seems many people here do not like the facts, or worse yet, ignore the facts. Yes....some good is happening in the city, but how long did it take the Hudson's building to get demolished to lead to the renovation of that part of town? Should it have taken that long? Would and is the renovation going to last 20 years? Without a solid plan (which is seems there is not one) and strong leadership, the piecemeal projects with soon fail, like the piecemeal projects of the Young era. It is sad, but true. Without new jobs in higher paying industries, downtown will never grow to a world-class level.

I don't think anyones diluded, to the fact that Michigan has problems Speck. But Michigan is our home, we are all rooting for our home team to get better. I dont think anything you've addressed, hasn't been addressed before. When it comes to jobs we know where we stand, we know the problem lies in diversification. Change does take time, change is, and will continue. I think the optimism comes from all of us always so happy to see good things. Even if sometimes they seem few and far between.

Point of fact, Michigans unemployment rate, even being at the bottom of all states in the country, is still much better than US employment rates during the 80's just to put things in perspective. I appreciate, the realism, I just don't think it sucks here as much as some people would have me think.

It should come as no surprise that I second GRdadof3's question. This would have actually have been an interesting topic, if not for the messenger, who seems hell-bent on finding any list that puts Michigan near the bottom. It is no mystery to any of us that Michigan has been struggling economically for decades now. What's your point? I mean, you didn't even have the good sense to ask a question. What the heck did you want us to say to a post with no question or talking point? What, good job, Speck?

You can see why we are quickly tiring of your antics, can't you, Speck?

I don't think anyones diluded, to the fact that Michigan has problems Speck. But Michigan is our home, we are all rooting for our home team to get better. I dont think anything you've addressed, hasn't been addressed before. When it comes to jobs we know where we stand, we know the problem lies in diversification. Change does take time, change is, and will continue. I think the optimism comes from all of us always so happy to see good things. Even if sometimes they seem few and far between.

Point of fact, Michigans unemployment rate, even being at the bottom of all states in the country, is still much better than US employment rates during the 80's just to put things in perspective. I appreciate, the realism, I just don't think it sucks here as much as some people would have me think.

I would love for Michigan to get better too.....all of my relatives are still in Michigan, and I visit often. I have never said "Detroit sucks".....I think a very certain posters are taking comments and blowing them out of proportion. Detroit has had a bad rap for as long as I can remember.....living there, I knew there were problems (this would have been in the Coleman Young era.... I still remember when Coleman went on 20/20 or Primetime Live (or some show of the like) and really made a great case for Detroit being a great city (yeah....that was sarcastic)) but I always thought the problems were more minor than what was being reported.

Moving out of the era....most people don't even know what Detroit is all about.....the great diversity of cultures, the nice parks and buildings, the fact that crime is not nearly as bad or widespread as reported.....which is sad. I would love for people to visit my hometown and have a great time.

BUT

It is both a positive and a negative that the residents of Detroit have such great pride in the city. From a positive, it should mean that the residents take care of their city, try to improve the city.....and this is great....I think a lot of those people are right here......unfortunately, it does not seem like the numbers of these great people are nearly enough....When Kwame was re-elected, it looks like voter turnout was very low (235K votes) I would think more people would want to have a say in who is leading the city for the next term. From a negative, sometimes people can be blinded by their pride.....they don't see many problems, or they choose to ignore them.

While I am not a fan of demolishing every old vacant building in the city, it seems that sometimes the preservation groups get in the way of progress. People were protesting the demise of the Hudson's building for years http://www.dkpdetroit.com/hudsons/ but look at the progress in that area since the loss of that structure. I remember in the 80's...maybe the early 90's, Comerica wanted to build a new tower where Ford Auditorium is, then Hilton wanted to build a hotel there, and both were turned down as nobody wanted to get rid of Ford Auditorium....even though it was never used, and is a poor performance hall. I guess what I am saying is that not every old building is worth saving....much like a 1977 Corvette might be a classic....a 1977 Pinto is just an old car.

There is a real estate saying that says "Land will end up being used for its most efficient purpose"...which in Downtown Detroit seems to mean vacant buildings and surface parking....which is a tradgedy....but is reality at this point. I would love to see the day when surface parking downtown no longer existed, when all of the buildings were occupied, and when Downtown Detroit was really a great place to live and visit......it once was, and the leaders screwed it up. It may happen again, but what is going to keep the leaders from screwing it up again?

Take a wild guess.

Well....I don't mean this in a rude way....but does your pure existance within the City of Detroit make the city better....or are you involved with some civic action committee that is helping to improve the city and its image?

---------------------------

I myself would love to get involved with something to help improve the city. I have always thought the city shows its best during special events and festivals. Detroit looked great during the Super Bowl, and also during the All-Star game.....the problem is that these events will not be returning any time soon.....so what fills the void in the mean time?

I know the DIA did huge attendance a few years back with the Van Gogh exhibit......but it seems their calendar has gone quite bland. It would be nice to get more exhibits into that, and the other museums....and bring more people downtown.

I just saw the King Tut exhibit (www.kingtut.org) in Fort Lauderdale last weekend....it was packed...and has been packed at its previous stops.....something like this would be nice for Detroit....but they missed out.

I also have seen Bodies...The Exhibition in Tampa, which also is drawing huge crowds (and it is controversial, so it draws a ton of press) http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

What I have ALWAYS said is that the people, and non-public leaders need to come together, like they did for the Super Bowl, and get Detroit back on the map for events like these, and larger events.

Well....I don't mean this in a rude way....but does your pure existance within the City of Detroit make the city better....or are you involved with some civic action committee that is helping to improve the city and its image?

Yes to both. I believe both are very important.

If I wanted to take the easy way out, I'd move to Florida too. If I wanted to take the easy way our of Detroit, I'd move to the suburbs. A great man once said, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

That's odd...I've never taken you as a Florida-type person.

After the city council fiasco over the zoo over the past week or so, I can completely see how it is not good to be you in Detroit at the moment. You probably don't feel like your represented, there or maligned (welcome to our world, lol). If an elected official, especially the size of a city like Detroit, pretty much silently endorsed the recent remarks of JoAnn Watson and Barbara Rose Collins, you better believe I'd have written them a nasty letter, or took them up on their bullschitt comments at a city council meeting. Where the hell were the Cockerel's when these comments were said? The longer people let those type of comments pass, the more immune everyone becomes to them. Ignorance and hate begets more ignorance and hate; it's just that simple. Off topic, I know.

After the city council fiasco over the zoo over the past week or so, I can completely see how it is not good to be you in Detroit at the moment. You probably don't feel like your represented, there or maligned (welcome to our world, lol). If an elected official, especially the size of a city like Detroit, pretty much silently endorsed the recent remarks of JoAnn Watson and Barbara Rose Collins, you better believe I'd have written them a nasty letter, or took them up on their bullschitt comments at a city council meeting. Where the hell were the Cockerel's when these comments were said? The longer people let those type of comments pass, the more immune everyone becomes to them. Ignorance and hate begets more ignorance and hate; it's just that simple. Off topic, I know.

I hope you were not one of these unfortunate people......but as you wrote "Ignorance and hate begets more ignorance and hate"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wdiv/20060224/lo_wdiv/3288639

Yeah, as elected officials, Collins and Watson are in the wrong, here. But many people are brushing aside the fact that Collins was sent threatening and racist emails. Here comments didn't come out of nowhere as wrong as they still are.

Two "wrongs" certainly don't help the situation.....if anything, they make it worse....not only does it build support around the officials that were idiots to begin with, as they will get sympathetic support for their troubles, but it removes the focus from the real issue (dumb politics that have in the past and continue to hurt the city) and puts it on a different issue (dumb residents with narrow minds)

Was there an actual physical threat, or just some name calling in this e-mail? As a white resident of Detroit I have been called some pretty derogatory names over the years, sometimes by the police themselves. I myself e-mailed the city council and called them a bunch of stupid jackasses. Does this mean I can expect a knock on my door from the thought police?

He must have obviously crossed the line from name-calling into threatening the woman or else the police wouldn't have a warrant out on him for intimidating using a computer. I'm sure we'll see the threat in its entirety (or at least key excerpts) when this is more hashed out today/tormorrow. The news blurb also made a point to point out that another employee had sent and email, but the message didn't include anything threatening.

It's sad, but also strangely satisfying to see people on both sides letting their nasty attitudes and inferiority complexes made known and layed bare for all to see. And, more importantly, to see these same people called on their stupid antics, and getting their just desserts.

What I'd really like to see is Detroit's minorities go down to city council in numbers one night, and hold Collin's and the other's who regularly make racially charged comments, responsible for their foolish outburts. As I keep saying, the more they are allowed to malign a group of their own citizens, the more they will do it. If they see no real backlash they are empowered to make foolish outburts again and again and again. I would have liked to have seen other's on the council, and especially Shelia Cockerel, publicly admonish Collins and Watson for what are blantant descriminatory comments.

Seriously, there needs to be a protest at city hall, picket signs and all, reminding the council that they are elected to serve ALL of Detroit, not just whom they decide they want to serve. They must be held accountable for their actions in a real way. This is classic bully tactics, and the only way to remedy that is to stand up to the bullies at city hall.

I'm more of a Florida person than a Georgia, NC, Arizona, Nevada person. Though I take full responsibility for my decision to live in the city of Detroit, I have to say it is not easy, especially for someone as tolerant as I consider myself to be. I've been harassed a few times, the victim of DWW (driving while white), inconvenienced by car break ins, a stolen car, stolen seat off my bike, stolen computer at work, etc...

But if there's anything that get's my blood boiling the most it's the countless number of times a day I hear the "N" word. It's usually accompanied by "fudge", "crap", "beotch/biotch", or "goddam". This is one thing that totally caught me off guard and is not resting well with me. It's definately a mind game when it comes to racism in the media. How do I decifer my thoughts on the basis of valueing the knowledge between what is right and what is wrong. Again, I put myself in this position.

But if there's anything that get's my blood boiling the most it's the countless number of times a day I hear the "N" word. It's usually accompanied by "fudge", "crap", "beotch/biotch", or "goddam". This is one thing that totally caught me off guard and is not resting well with me. It's definately a mind game when it comes to racism in the media. How do I decifer my thoughts on the basis of valueing the knowledge between what is right and what is wrong. Again, I put myself in this position.

That annoys the heck out of me too......growing up in the north (in not-too-diverse Troy) I would here crap like that, and think....wow....what idiots. I really thought that moving to the South, I would here this more often....yet as bad of a rap the south gets, it seems the racial harmony is a bit better.....not sure why that is, but it is nice. At the same time, the Neo-Nazi group that was in Toledo last year is marching tomorrow through a poor Orlando (black) neighborhood.....I am hoping everything goes smoothly, and they hurry up and leave.

As for knowing right and wrong, you probably learned better as a child....and always remember, if it is wrong, even if everyone does it, it is still wrong....

Exactly. I've had that instilled in me all my life, but there are still so many unexpected twists and turns that are a test of character.

As far as over-acceptance of using the "N" word, I have no answer to it and admit I do not know why it is so overly-used as a term of endearment in black culture.

Exactly. I've had that instilled in me all my life, but there are still so many unexpected twists and turns that are a test of character.

As far as over-acceptance of using the "N" word, I have no answer to it and admit I do not know why it is so overly-used as a term of endearment in black culture.

*just reminded of a Family Guy episode with "Huck Griffin" going done the Mississippi river :)

It is a double standard.....a teacher somewhere in S Florida was just suspended as a black student said the word to him, and he responded with the same phrase.....

Archived