Making SC a Billboard Haven

vicupstate

The SC House of Representatives shamed themselves and our state by easily overriding the Governor's veto of the new pro-Billboard industry bill.

So much for Home Rule. Let's hope it can be stopped in the Senate. SC already leads the nation in Billboards. Not sure if that is total number or per capita. Either one is bad.

House overrides Governor's Veto on Billboard legislation

Can someone post the voting results of this bill? If my rep voted for it, I plan to call him and make my opposition known.

Also, and campaign contribution info on the billboard industry would be great also. Thanks in advancce.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It basicly removes the power of local governments to regulate when and where billboards can be placed, and makes the removal of them extremely difficult. Its a takings issue- how much money will the owner of said billboard loose by not having his billboard there? Its very difficult to say. But its part of the right of just compensation by the government for a property loss. Before, governments were not required to compensate for billboard removal. Now they are.

It basicly removes the power of local governments to regulate when and where billboards can be placed, and makes the removal of them extremely difficult.

Wait, let me get this right. Are you saying that, if this bill passes, outdoor advertising companies can put billboards anywhere someone leases them the land?

No, but they will be much more difficult to remove.

You can read the bill here.

Or you can read the summary.

This is from the MASC website:

"The Billboard Protection Act requires the local government pay a billboard sign owner and property owner cash compensation if the billboard is required to be removed by the local government. This legislation limits a local government

Billboard industry donates $250k to legislators prior to vote on Billboards

Excellent editorial about why Sanford's veto should have been sustained. While it does not surprise me in the least that the legislature a) incompetent and corrupt b) ignores home rule whenever it chooses c) is willing to sacrifice the beauty of this state for campaign contributions, it continues to distress me that no one seems to give a damn.

The filing deadline for running for the legislature is March 30th or 31st. I can't remember which. MANY elections are decided that day, not in November. I wish the SC Chamber and others who feel as I do would urge good candidates to run for the state house.

This state suffers so much under the iron hand of the incompetent power barons known as the SC Legislature. I forsee this state continuing to fall behind it's peer states until something fundamental changes.

^Like some constitutional changes, which Sanford has been pushing for; unfortunately, the rift between him and the Legislature seems to get wider and deeper with each passing day.

Indeed.

I'm beginning to think that Sanford needs to make this year's election a referendum on his agenda. It's obvious that if he gets re-elected, that the legislature is going to ignore him. The only way he will be effective is if they fear going against him because he is backed by the electorate.

To do that, he needs to recruit like minded candidates for the legislature.

They are distracting and ugly too. I can only think of one time in my life that I have acutally used the information provided by them.

This is why I like Gov Sanford. He has done what is right, and what everyone knows is right, and the legislature has done what it wants to anyway. Typical. Most people probably have no idea that this happened, but when it comes time to remove that ugly billboard in their town, and they cant, people will learn why.

It will now take a legislative act to get these things down, because nobody in their right mind would pay to have billboards taken down.

The good thing is that if we get together enough money we can just buy the legislature into repealing this law.

Column on Billlboard industry's complete control of Legislature

Yet another excellent editorial on this subject. I do have to cry 'foul' on one thing though. Calling our legislators whores, is an unwarranted insult to prostitutes everywhere in my opinion. Prostitutes don't take money against someone's will to screw them, the way the legislature does.

I have no choice but to pay my state taxes so that those morons can then use it to screw over the citizenry.

Maybe we can buy some billboards with some derogatory messages for this magnificent legislation. Maybe list the state reps and senators that voted for this crap.

"This billboard courtesy of representative _____ , who sold you out for campaign contributions and meals on the billboard industry dime"

Comments?

Yes, Gov. Sanford is trying to drag our legislature out of the Good Ol' Boy era and into a progressive one(imagine THAT), but they aren't budging. Why would they, when all their pork projects are assured, and the perks continue to roll in? And as usual, we can only sit helpless as the future of our state is squandered by this cast of idiots.

I would love to campaign for Sanford and any like-minded folks he wants to include in "The NEW South Carolina." I think I'll go down to his headquarters this week to volunteer . . .

BTW, many of you progressive thinkers with a passion for our state's future should run . . I'm serious--think about it!

The SC House of Representatives shamed themselves and our state by easily overriding the Governor's veto of the new pro-Billboard industry bill.

So much for Home Rule. Let's hope it can be stopped in the Senate. SC already leads the nation in Billboards. Not sure if that is total number or per capita. Either one is bad.

House overrides Governor's Veto on Billboard legislation

Can someone post the voting results of this bill? If my rep voted for it, I plan to call him and make my opposition known.

Also, and campaign contribution info on the billboard industry would be great also. Thanks in advancce.

Unfortunately, my state of Georgia is very pro-billboard. Driving down I-85 has periods of eye sores from the massively erected billboards, towering over the interstate. It's particularly bad on that stretch where's there's seven billboards, one after another, each glaring the same message, "Adult Novelties". What an embarrassment to our state.

Thankfully, I-20, I-16, and I-95 aren't eaten up with billboards, even though I-85 is north of Atlanta and I-75 is throughout the state.

Yes, Gov. Sanford is trying to drag our legislature out of the Good Ol' Boy era and into a progressive one(imagine THAT), but they aren't budging. Why would they, when all their pork projects are assured, and the perks continue to roll in? And as usual, we can only sit helpless as the future of our state is squandered by this cast of idiots.

I would love to campaign for Sanford and any like-minded folks he wants to include in "The NEW South Carolina." I think I'll go down to his headquarters this week to volunteer . . .

BTW, many of you progressive thinkers with a passion for our state's future should run . . I'm serious--think about it!

I realize that I am going against the grain here, but I think Gov Sanford, whether intentionally or not, is doing exactly that. He is showing how bad the good-ol-boy system is in SC. Basicy we have no checks an balances, since the legislature can out vote the Gov and do what it pleases with the Courts. What this should show you is that the lack of economic progress during Gov Sanford's term is not his fault, since very little of his ideas got through. Our all-knowing legislature is to blame. They override most every veto that Sanford makes. Just think about that when you go to vote this fall. I know I will.

I realize that I am going against the grain here, but I think Gov Sanford, whether intentionally or not, is doing exactly that. He is showing how bad the good-ol-boy system is in SC. Basicy we have no checks an balances, since the legislature can out vote the Gov and do what it pleases with the Courts. What this should show you is that the lack of economic progress during Gov Sanford's term is not his fault, since very little of his ideas got through. Our all-knowing legislature is to blame. They override most every veto that Sanford makes. Just think about that when you go to vote this fall. I know I will.

Spartan, you are right on the money -- I share your frustration. Our state has a progressive governor, who has at least one progressive legislator, Glenn McConnell, trying to bring our state into a new era of smart government (not necessarily a contridiction in terms.) He's not getting far, but he IS making a difference (baby steps, but not his fault.) If nothing else, he's energizing folks like you and me who are tired of the status quo.

The legislature needs a thorough house-cleaning--let's kick some butts!

I don't think I'd exactly call Glenn McConnell progressive. If he has his way, we'll see all kinds of patchwork municipalities across this state. I'd bet that he's against restructuring state government as well, although I'm not too sure about that one.

It basicly removes the power of local governments to regulate when and where billboards can be placed, and makes the removal of them extremely difficult. Its a takings issue- how much money will the owner of said billboard loose by not having his billboard there? Its very difficult to say. But its part of the right of just compensation by the government for a property loss. Before, governments were not required to compensate for billboard removal. Now they are.

Frankly, I am horrified--flabbergasted--by this turn of events. I recall back sometime in the 80's in Greenville, Exxon had put up a god-awful eyesore of a billboard at its Haywood @ Pelham gas station. You'd come up the hill on Haywood going toward the mall, and when you reached Pelham, you were greeted by this HUGE, UGLY, GARISH billboard that looked like it had a car busting through it. The citizens got really riled up about it, and the owner was eventually were forced to remove it due to public pressure.

I think our legislators are starting to go way overboard on this thing of being "business-friendly." Between this and the recent eminent domain concerns, I hope we have a helluva good housecleaning next election cycle.

Rep Edge sells out the people for Billboards

Excellent Letter! Sanford grew in stature today with his press release yesterday.

I had no idea that Burroughs & Chapin owned 850 billboards. Figures though. Anything for a buck.

With the Green Diamond issue rising again, I am glad to know my loathing of that dirt bag company is EVEN more justified.

Archived