Politics and Urban Planet

jfl25

With so many well informed and goal oriented people on Urban planet, I was wondering why more people aren't involved in City or County Government. Being involved more with the community and with government in general could really help get Urban Planets message across to a wider audience.I hope this post will allow discussion of how Urban Planet representatives could help grow our city and make the future better for generations to come.Politics usually turns to a negitive discussion so I'm asking everyone to keep it "politically correct" .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politics is a subject matter that seems to permiate it's way into everything, just like religion. I'm going ahead and coming out in a way here, that yes, I did go to Bob Jones, yes to do lean left of center, and for the most part, I enjoy discussing politics. I do enjoy a good debate. I'm having to shove my foot in my mouth for saying this, but I really hate it when someone starts shooting off their mouth, and not saying anything. For instance, my family is still associated with Bob Jones, and they lean right. I made them watch Farenheiht 9/11 under the presumption that if you are going to speak out against an enemy (the left), you must know what makes them tick, what makes them work. Same thing can be applied to many more situations.

Politics makes our society what it is. Without discussion, its as if we lose who we are, and it would be like living in North Korea, or even as far as Taliban rule. To me, UP is a samorgasbord of beliefs, of people, of politcal leanings, etc, and that we can all come together for one thing; To see Greenville and the rest of the Upstate really prosper in the future. We are all in essence, the movers and the shakers in the area, and yes, I think that we can have a lot of pull in what is done in our area.

Politics is a subject matter that seems to permiate it's way into everything, just like religion. I'm going ahead and coming out in a way here, that yes, I did go to Bob Jones, yes to do lean left of center, and for the most part, I enjoy discussing politics. I do enjoy a good debate. I'm having to shove my foot in my mouth for saying this, but I really hate it when someone starts shooting off their mouth, and not saying anything. For instance, my family is still associated with Bob Jones, and they lean right. I made them watch Farenheiht 9/11 under the presumption that if you are going to speak out against an enemy (the left), you must know what makes them tick, what makes them work. Same thing can be applied to many more situations.

Politics makes our society what it is. Without discussion, its as if we lose who we are, and it would be like living in North Korea, or even as far as Taliban rule. To me, UP is a samorgasbord of beliefs, of people, of politcal leanings, etc, and that we can all come together for one thing; To see Greenville and the rest of the Upstate really prosper in the future. We are all in essence, the movers and the shakers in the area, and yes, I think that we can have a lot of pull in what is done in our area.

Very well-spoken, jarvisj3! I applaud your honesty and outlook on life. :D

jarvisj3 I appriciate your honesty in this post.I know you'll probably take some greif about being from Bob Jones,but from my understanding the school does have a good educational program.I believe that politics can be a very touchy subject, but people shouldn't shy away from it because it might cause a debate.This country is founded on the principles of free speach and I think we all should take every opertunity to use it. I consider myself to be somewhat of a conservative and generally vote republican, however I think that both sides of the government could use a major makeover.Our government system is definatly not perfect, but I believe it is the best in the world today.That is why I posed this topic I believe that most of the people associated with this website tend to be the thinkers and the dreamers of our community and I think that is what is needed in politics.Everyone here is interested in making Greenville the best that it can be. This community does need a well balanced mix of republicans,democrates,independants,and everyone else in between.Only with diversity in religion,politics,and ethnicity can our community be a truely great place to live.

Politics can be discussed anywhere, but you have to be mature about it, and realize that you probably won't change the other person's views on things. Some people get really worked up over political issues. I'm a fairly conservative guy, and I have some die-hard liberal friends. Generally we don't talk about politics, but when it does come up, we usually have to agree to disagree.

I'm going ahead and coming out in a way here, that yes, I did go to Bob Jones, yes to do lean left of center...

Well, I'll come on out with you, jarvis. :shok: I attended both BJA and BJU, but now lean left-libertarian on many issues and have to deal with a family of origin that is far more conservative than I. I thought I was the only one! :blink:

Well, I'll come on out with you, jarvis. :shok: I attended both BJA and BJU, but now lean left-libertarian on many issues and have to deal with a family of origin that is far more conservative than I. I thought I was the only one! :blink:

I'm Libertarian, so naturally I feel that there is good and bad in both of the major parties (and way too much government involvement overall). I also try to refrain from getting into political discussions, especially with people I don't know very well! :P

Personally, I like getting into politics. I think it is fun having debates like how Bush spent billions on a war that doesn't even matter and what we could have used that money for if not on war like on schools, highways, etc.

Don't forget that Congress voted for it too.

Just curious because I have an old, old, old friend from Jr. High School that is in the middle of the movement...are y'all simply libertarian or have you crossed over to the dark side and become Anarcho-Capitalists? :ph34r:

I am definitely not an anarcho-capitalist, RT. They basically believe that there should be no laws and no rulers in society - a total free-for-all. I consider that a radical spin on Libertarianism.

In a very general sense, Libertarians are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. If you want to read more about the Libertarian Party's position on various issues, you can go here:

http://www.lp.org/issues/issues.shtml

Here is a cool quiz people can take to see where they fall on the political spectrum:

http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

Hmmm is right...

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 60%.

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 90%.

I'm a little more conservative than I thought I would be, but this quiz says I'm a Libertarian, too.

I had suspected (hoped at least) that nobody here was into the Anarcho-Capitalist movement. That scares me, quite frankly.

Archived