Raleigh given 155 Acres for Nature Preserve

Justin6882

I know this is "Urban" planet, but I thought this was a cool story. Looks like not all of North Raleigh will be a sprawling mess. No changes can be made and no trees can be taken down in this area, according to the late Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson. Awesome donation to the city...

Raleigh Given $15M Of Land For New Nature Preserve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is "Urban" planet, but I thought this was a cool story. Looks like not all of North Raleigh will be a sprawling mess. No changes can be made and no trees can be taken down in this area, according to the late Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson. Awesome donation to the city...

Raleigh Given $15M Of Land For New Nature Preserve

Hear, hear! :thumbsup:

This area of the County is almost magical. Raven Ridge hangs on the lip of the neuse valley. The first settlers to Wake came to this area with the John Martin cemetary having the oldest known grave in Wake County accross the falls dam in Wakefield (actually the grave was moved to make way for a cul-de-sac). Another cemetary off Raven Ridge is thought to date to the 1760's (I am still looking for info on this one). John Lawson traveled through this area, probably on or near this land, in 1701, and crossed the Neuse at the dam from south to north while traveling west to east. He described buffalo drinking from the neuse and met a Tuscarora scout party. As early as the 1740's there are stories of bands of outlaws hiding in log forts near the falls dam. Hike the trails out that way sometime, take a canoe down the river, sometimes for a moment you can almost imagine the buffalo and natives...

Archived