OKC Sports

shane453

OKC Sports

Central Hockey League-

The Oklahoma City Blazers usually lead CHL in average attendance. This season's attendance average is 8,245. They set a single game attendance record in '03 with almost 17,000 fans in a game against Tulsa. The attendance has not dropped since the Hornets arrived.

AAA Baseball-

Average attendance this season of about 7,700 fans. This season broke a single-season total attendance record.

Arena Football-

The af2 OKC Yard Dawgs have a lifetime average attendance of 7,308, their highest single-game attendance was 15,102 in 2004.

NBA-

No need to explain the Hornets' attendence ratings. In the top 10 of league attendance 05-06, more than 18,000 fans per game, described by home and away team players as the best crowd in all of NBA with a college atmosphere.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article awhile back in the Oklahoman about how the (a few months into their season) the Hornet's games hadn't affected the college basketball, Blazers, or any other sports in the city area. I didn't think that was quite true. Because the Ford Center used to have 1,000-2,000-possibly even 2,500 more people in the arena for their games. Whats sad is that giant current put around the upper bowl on the arena. I'm am interested to know if the Yard Dawgz and the Hornets overlap seasons. And if they do, will the hornets affect them too? Yes, they will.

• 2 weeks later...

Its only going to be for the rest of the 005-06 season. And the 06-07 season. Then they are "supposed" to go back to New Orleans, but everyone knows that Mr. Shinn doesn't want to go back because he will lose money.

I think the team should stay in OKC. I think it was a mistake for them to go to NO in the first place. Shinn should have chosen Vegas or Norfolk. It would be a bad move if they go back to NO. OKC is just better for the NBA right vs. NO.

fromdust, from what I heard, it sold out but was nowhere near a full house because some businesses or someone bought huge amounts of tickets but couldn't give them away/sell them. I'm not sure if that's true. You also have to consider that they can maybe have good sales for one or two games, but can they for 35?

fromdust, from what I heard, it sold out but was nowhere near a full house because some businesses or someone bought huge amounts of tickets but couldn't give them away/sell them.

I was at the game, and I can tell you that it was a full house. The entire building was sold out, there wasn't even standing room. There were around 17,500 fans at the game, and I don't believe any businesses bought more than a few tickets at all. This sell-out was purely fan-based. Just like next weeks game against the Nuggets will be, as only a couple hundred tickets remain. And I believe the game in two weeks vs the Clippers has already sold over 16,000 tickets.

You also have to consider that they can maybe have good sales for one or two games, but can they for 35?

Here's my view from my vantage point in New Orleans.

New Orleans is a football town, there's no doubt about that, the Saints have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL since they were founded, but they have had some of the best attendance in the league year in and year out. If both teams were to stay, the Saint's would most likely see great crowds, and the Hornets would probably see crowds around 15,000-16,000. (The arena seats a little over 17,500) If the Saints were to leave, the Hornets would most likely see fantastic crowds throughout the season. Even though the area loves football, it loves sports in general, so if the Hornets are the only ticket in town,(other than the AAA Zephyrs) they would most likely see great attendance.If New Orleans can support any professional team economically remains to be seen, but with the metro projected to be over 1.4 million in 2007(larger than it has ever been) I don't think attendance will be as big of a problem as most are making it out to be, especially for basketball, and I don't think it would be a problem for Saints games either, which require at least 66,000 tickets to be sold to be classified as a sell out.

NCB, I didn't even think about the Zephers. I assume they will play as usual this summer. What is the condition of the facility they play in?

Also, I'm just curious why they are estimating the population to be greater than it was pre-Katrina, in just a year no less. That would be great for New Orleans but doesn't sound very realistic to me.

NCB, I didn't even think about the Zephers. I assume they will play as usual this summer. What is the condition of the facility they play in?

Yes, the Zephyrs will play a normal home schedule this season, which is great. They play at the fairly new Zephyr Stadium in Metairie,LA, just outside of New Orleans, which sustained very minimal damage in Katrina and has been ready for months.

Also, I'm just curious why they are estimating the population to be greater than it was pre-Katrina, in just a year no less. That would be great for New Orleans but doesn't sound very realistic to me.

Currently the metro is estimated to have around 1.2 million people, which is down from a pre-Katrina 1.3 million, and it is absolutely booming. They are estimating that the metro could be larger than it was pre-Katrina because thousands of residents of heavily devastated areas of New Orleans, Saint Bernard, or Plaquemines Parish's are moving back to the area. Most of these residents are far from being able to live in their homes, but are able to live in metro parish's such as Jefferson Parish, Saint Tammany, or Tangipahoa, which are all booming. Also one thing that people really don't know about, is the fact that people are moving to the area from all over the country, because the abundance of jobs is amazing. Fast food places are paying over $9.50 per hour, and many of residents who left the city and their jobs behind have not returned, so there are more and more people in their low-mid 20's moving to the area(both the city and the metro) everyday because high paying jobs are extremely easy to find.

The city now has over 200,000 in population, and residents are returning much faster than expected. Most studies after Katrina said it would take years for the city's population to get over 200,000, while it really took about 6 months. Growth to the point where the city's population is around 300,000 is expected in 2006, and at that point the metro is expected to be over 1.4 million as well.

• 2 months later...

Commentary from a local newscaster on OKC's recent explosion of major sporting events. "Loud City" as we have come to be known since the Hornets showed up on our doorstep, is truly a hotbed for sports. Just this weekend we have the Big XII Baseball Tourney and the Sr PGA Tournament going on.

My Two Cents: Close to the big time

By Kelly Ogle

News 9

Kids today you don't know how good you've got it.

When I was growing up we had the 89ers, an on again off again hockey team, the Jaycees Track Meet and the occasional visit from the Harlem Globetrotters.

That about summed it up for sports here in Oklahoma City.

Not that sports boosters didn't try, they did my dad was one of them and I saw it first hand.

But Oklahoma City was quite frankly small time.

It's true.

We're not anymore. I'd say we're somewhere between medium time and big time... inching toward big time.

Don't believe me think I'm just a homer?

Look what's going on this weekend.

Thousands will attend the Big 12 Baseball tournament at our beautiful Bricktown Ballpark.

Thousands more will watch Sr. PGA Championship at Oak Tree.

We just wrapped up the NBA season with the Hornets.

The Blazers Hockey team had another good year.

The Redhawks are drawing good crowds.

Oklahoma City hosted the NCAA Wrestling National Championship.

The Jim Thorpe award for the best college defensive back.

The Big 12 softball tournament wrapped up two weeks ago at Hall of Fame Stadium.

The College Softball World Series starts here next week.

The Yard Dawgz, our arena football team, is playing at the Ford Center.

We've had major rowing regattas on the Oklahoma River the Memorial Marathon is drawing an international field.

And next year, add the Big 12 basketball tournament to the list.

Hats off to Tim Brassfield and the All Sports Association and other sports boosters in the metro you're hard work is paying off.

I'm Kelly Ogle and that's My 2 Cents.

--------

He forgot to mention we just hosted the NCAA Mens' Gymnastics Finals and the Junior Olympics.

Commentary from a local newscaster on OKC's recent explosion of major sporting events. "Loud City" as we have come to be known since the Hornets showed up on our doorstep, is truly a hotbed for sports. Just this weekend we have the Big XII Baseball Tourney and the Sr PGA Tournament going on.

My Two Cents: Close to the big time

By Kelly Ogle

News 9

Kids today you don't know how good you've got it.

When I was growing up we had the 89ers, an on again off again hockey team, the Jaycees Track Meet and the occasional visit from the Harlem Globetrotters.

That about summed it up for sports here in Oklahoma City.

Not that sports boosters didn't try, they did my dad was one of them and I saw it first hand.

But Oklahoma City was quite frankly small time.

It's true.

We're not anymore. I'd say we're somewhere between medium time and big time... inching toward big time.

Don't believe me think I'm just a homer?

Look what's going on this weekend.

Thousands will attend the Big 12 Baseball tournament at our beautiful Bricktown Ballpark.

Thousands more will watch Sr. PGA Championship at Oak Tree.

We just wrapped up the NBA season with the Hornets.

The Blazers Hockey team had another good year.

The Redhawks are drawing good crowds.

Oklahoma City hosted the NCAA Wrestling National Championship.

The Jim Thorpe award for the best college defensive back.

The Big 12 softball tournament wrapped up two weeks ago at Hall of Fame Stadium.

The College Softball World Series starts here next week.

The Yard Dawgz, our arena football team, is playing at the Ford Center.

We've had major rowing regattas on the Oklahoma River the Memorial Marathon is drawing an international field.

And next year, add the Big 12 basketball tournament to the list.

Hats off to Tim Brassfield and the All Sports Association and other sports boosters in the metro you're hard work is paying off.

I'm Kelly Ogle and that's My 2 Cents.

--------

He forgot to mention we just hosted the NCAA Mens' Gymnastics Finals and the Junior Olympics.

Good for OKC...I've always rooted for OKC to land a pro team...seems like it will be the NHL, which would be good for the city. The Hornets will be back in NO, for 2007/2008, and OKC has supported them just fine. The one negative OKC has going for it in regards to the NBA is location. Unfortunately, if just doesn't fit into the NBA's mold, I hear, and that the NBA is more likely to go to Kansas City, and the NHL will be coming to OKC. The Hornets have offered OKC an opportunity, that they othewise would not have. And the talk of OKC stealing the Hornets is fruitless and silly. The Hornets have a locked lease with New Orleans and no outs through 2012. I've heard Louisiana would sue the NBA and the State of Oklahoma for around $1 billion if the lease is broken, and Louisiana would certainly win due to the wording of the lease.

It wouldn't be the State of Oklahoma's fault if Shinn broke contract, and if there is a loophole in the contract (I've heard there is a buyout option, or if Shinn's lawyers can make it seem like conditions in NO aren't good enough) then Louisiana can't fight it anyway.

OKC's location doesn't fit into the NBA mold??? How so? The middle of a pro-sport-less but sports-crazy state that clearly loves basketball is a bad market for NBA?

The one negative OKC has going for it in regards to the NBA is location. Unfortunately, if just doesn't fit into the NBA's mold, I hear

Yeah, that's probably why the Hornets have done so horribly here, as opposed to New Orleans where they were a HIT.

Yeah, that's probably why the Hornets have done so horribly here, as opposed to New Orleans where they were a HIT.

No need to get defensive, although, I understand. And you all can take swipes at New Orleans. That's fine. I know OKC is giving the Hornets support, but, an insider in New Orleans, who is very close to Shinn, and recently spent the day with him, recently revealed after spending the day with Shinn, that the NBA thinks it has a team close enough in Dallas. It feels there is a hole by Kansas City and wants to fill it there. New Orleans wasn't the greatest supporter of the Hornets, esp. the last year. They had a horrible record. But, the Hornets have one of the top TV contracts in the NBA in New Orleans and has all but two or three of their suites sold in New Orleans...that's where the money is. But, even though New Orleans did have lower attendance, it wasn't anywhere out of the norm for a losing NBA team. If fact, Cleveland, Portland, Atlanta, and Houston all had lower average yearly attendances than the Hornets did last year, in the last 5 years. Either way, I wish OKC the best. I've never had a bitter taste in my mouth with OKC, and I still don't today, even though, I've read some pretty low comments, and tacky jabs at New Orleans from The Oklahoman, which, to me, is quite insensitive, considering what happened here.

It wouldn't be the State of Oklahoma's fault if Shinn broke contract, and if there is a loophole in the contract (I've heard there is a buyout option, or if Shinn's lawyers can make it seem like conditions in NO aren't good enough) then Louisiana can't fight it anyway.

OKC's location doesn't fit into the NBA mold??? How so? The middle of a pro-sport-less but sports-crazy state that clearly loves basketball is a bad market for NBA?

OKC has proven itself well and clearly deserves a team in the future, but it would be best to let the Hornets go and wait for the next team. Trust me, you do not want a team owned by Shinn. If you had seen how he bungled a great thing here in Charlotte, you would understand.

I've read some pretty low comments, and tacky jabs at New Orleans from The Oklahoman, which, to me, is quite insensitive, considering what happened here.

And how do you think we felt when Connie Chung on national television asked during an interview if "you people in oklahoma can handle something like this" during the bombing coverage?

And how do you think we felt when Connie Chung on national television asked during an interview if "you people in oklahoma can handle something like this" during the bombing coverage?

Yet another tacky reporter....

No need to get defensive, although, I understand. And you all can take swipes at New Orleans. That's fine. I know OKC is giving the Hornets support, but, an insider in New Orleans, who is very close to Shinn, and recently spent the day with him, recently revealed after spending the day with Shinn, that the NBA thinks it has a team close enough in Dallas. It feels there is a hole by Kansas City and wants to fill it there. New Orleans wasn't the greatest supporter of the Hornets, esp. the last year. They had a horrible record. But, the Hornets have one of the top TV contracts in the NBA in New Orleans and has all but two or three of their suites sold in New Orleans...that's where the money is. But, even though New Orleans did have lower attendance, it wasn't anywhere out of the norm for a losing NBA team. If fact, Cleveland, Portland, Atlanta, and Houston all had lower average yearly attendances than the Hornets did last year, in the last 5 years. Either way, I wish OKC the best. I've never had a bitter taste in my mouth with OKC, and I still don't today, even though, I've read some pretty low comments, and tacky jabs at New Orleans from The Oklahoman, which, to me, is quite insensitive, considering what happened here.

I was just stating the obvious. Why would Stern say that we are at the top of the list for expansion if they think we are too close to Dallas? If Dallas and San Antonio can both have teams, so can OKC and KC, and clearly OKC can fill an arena, and I'm sure Dallas does not need Oklahomans to support their team.

And from what I've seen, the Times-Picayune has taken more than their fair share of low blows at Oklahoma City--most of them unfounded.

i heard a practice facility is already in the works for connection to the ford center directly or through the underground. either way one of us is being lied to.

And plans for a practice facility in New Orleans across from the New Orleans Arena are starting to come to fruition down here as well. Katrina delayed the plans, but the project is starting to gain steam and could very well be included in the $716 million National Jazz Center downtown redevelopment around the Superdome and the Arena, and it would be along the proposed streetcar extention.

Honestly, I think the Hornets will be back in New Orleans full time in 2007. It just seems like with the recent statements from Stern, Shinn, other NBA officials, as well as giving the 2008 All-Star game to NOLA, that Stern is set on bringing the team back to New Orleans. And the fact that Shinn has kept quiet about nearly everything about the teams future makes me think that Stern has presented the options to Shinn and is essentially telling him to just keep quiet and deal with the NBA's plans. Stern's "talk" about moving the team back to New Orleans permanently is starting to be backed up with actions, which started with the All-Star Game and is continuing with more visits, meetings, plans, and projects in New Orleans to help bring the Hornets back.

Asked when the decision would be made on whether the Hornets would indeed be capable of returning to New Orleans next season, Stern responded:

Archived