Pride in Homegrown Chains' Success

digital_sandlapper

Hey, I thought perhaps this would be an interesting new discussion:

We should be especially proud of homegrown chains doing so well--such as Wild Wing, which is now in 5 (?) states! And Sticky Fingers is booming, too -- another one born in the lowcountry.

Ryan's Steakhouse has been around awhile, and is doing well. Denny's is based here, but wasn't really homegrown (just relocated from California.) Quincy's is just about defunct, isn't it? Too bad . .

For years, N.C. and Georgia chains have become national powerhouses. Not true for us . . though this could change without warning . . witness the two restaurant concepts above. I'm really rooting for them as they go national, and make us proud. :)

What else is coming/has come from S.C.?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piggly Wiggly Carolina :thumbsup:

Ryan's & Denny's have national presences. Denny's is tarnished by accusations of racial insensitivity that have plagued it for the past several years. Ryan's seems to be fighting an uphill battle against concepts like Golden Corral (NC product) & Cracker Barrel (aka- "The Shoney's killer").

Another SC product found widely: Richburg's own "Jane's Krazy Mixed-up Salt"

Same store sales have been increasing for Denny's for quite a while though. So take that for what its worth.

Spartanburg is also the home of the first Hardee's franchise, even though Hardees was sold off when Advantica (formerly Flagstar) fell apart.

Quincy's was owned by Advantica when they were around, so there are ties. I have heard that the first Quincy's was on Fernwood-Glendale Rd in Spartanburg, but I have no way to verify that. Not that it matters since they aren't around anymore.

Fatz Cafe is a regional chain that was also started in Spartanburg.

Sticky Fingers is a growing chain in the South that started in Mount Pleasant.

All I know is that the Denny's in Rock Hill has pretty good service and I've never felt discriminated against in there. So as long as it remains that way and there are no Confederate flags flying outside, I'll continue to eat there. Sometimes we really need to learn how to move on, but that's another thread.

These racial problems of Denny's, that I know of, were not against African Americans but against Asian Americans, of Japanese decent to be exact. Maybe there were more cases, but I do know that Japanese Americans were the people who were kicked out of the resturant and then beaten... <_<

All I know is that the Denny's in Rock Hill has pretty good service and I've never felt discriminated against in there. So as long as it remains that way and there are no Confederate flags flying outside, I'll continue to eat there. Sometimes we really need to learn how to move on, but that's another thread.

What the discrimination represents is the attitude of the workers in that location. Where was it? Wisconsin or something, and before that it was in Massachusetts I think. It was a long time ago, so I don't recall exactly. My point it that its not something that happens at every single Denny's. It seems unecessary to boycott the entire company when its employees in some locations don't know how to behave.

You are right though. That is for another thread.

Wasn't Hooters started in Myrtle Beach or something?

I can't think of any other chains that were started in SC.

I didn't know that Ryan's and Wild Wing Cafe were based here. All of this is really good to know though. :yahoo:

Yep, Ryan's Corp. office is in Greer behind the Ryan's on Wade Hampton Blvd. Ryan's actually has a international presence, I think there are some franchises in Australia. They also started a few other chains in the past, they may all be defunct though. Caliente/ Chilanca, ours on Haywood is now a seafood restaurant. Loredo Grill and Bellisimo. I think they are now defunct as well.

Also, Hooter's maynot have been started here but it was created by a Clemson Grad.

Other chains that are just Franchising and expanding are Stax Omega Diner, Frodo's Pizza, Mutt's BBQ, Dukes Sandwhich's. Maybe these will take off regionally

Yep, Ryan's Corp. office is in Greer behind the Ryan's on Wade Hampton Blvd. Ryan's actually has a international presence, I think there are some franchises in Australia. They also started a few other chains in the past, they may all be defunct though. Caliente/ Chilanca, ours on Haywood is now a seafood restaurant. Loredo Grill and Bellisimo. I think they are now defunct as well.

Also, Hooter's maynot have been started here but it was created by a Clemson Grad.

Other chains that are just Franchising and expanding are Stax Omega Diner, Frodo's Pizza, Mutt's BBQ, Dukes Sandwhich's. Maybe these will take off regionally

Isn't Fire Mountain a subsidiary of Ryan's?

Well, I'm not still mad at Denny's. My mom is.

I didn't know that Ryan's and Wild Wing Cafe were based here. All of this is really good to know though. :yahoo:

Oh yeah, the first Wild Wing was on Market St in Chas. Sticky Fingers is also a Chas franchise, even though its technically in Mt. Pleasant.

I was going to mention Chas Crab House since there is one in Cola and Greensboro, NC. This franchise is gaining steam.

Archived