Shooting in Downtown

UrbaniDesDev

I've noticed this as being a growing problem that this was inevitable. There are now masses of teenagers from opposing schools across the city congregating downtown after school as they transfer buses. I have witnessed many knock down fights on the major intersections of downtown, particularly Wood and Liberty. Not just the boys, girls too. These kids look as if they are prepared for a battle, taunting pedestrians and blocking traffic. It is becoming a battleground and is a huge developing problem. It is said Mayor O'Conner is furious.

:angry:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never noticed that Urbani,

I know that Pgh Police are sparse downtown (never quite understood the logic behind that) but I have seen PortAuthority cops with regularity and in some strong numbers.

This is not the kind of thing we need to host big time events in this city, the safest city per person in the nation. More then anything though it goes to show the complete breakdown of discipline in the schools, these are the types of fights that are all too common in schools throughout the country, for lots of reasons schools seem to exist in some nether region of lawlessness where things you and I would NEVER consider doing in public are just the day to day life of most HS students. This is not unique to Pittsburgh, but it spilling out onto the streets just might be. I say start ENFORCING the law in the school hallways like it would be enforced if I was talking to a businessman in Market Square.

They are coming from many different schools. I believe it started because many students have to transfer buses downtown. They run into students from other schools and trouble begins. I've seen a fight right at the entrance of Fifth Avenue Place on Liberty. The mall security blocked the doors from being opened to keep the fight from going inside. It was a mob scene, 3:30 in the afternoon. It is a volatile situation, I'm afraid. It need to be dealt with quickly because it will get worse when it gets warmer outside.

Oh dear, this may explain what happened to my boyfriend recently. He was running to catch a bus Downtown (this was about 6:30 pm) and saw a group of about 12 teenagers on the sidewalk ahead of him. They parted as if to let him through, but as he passed between them they pushed each other, slamming him against a building. It hurt his shoulder, but fortunately nothing serious. He just kept going and got on his bus, but later regretted not finding a police officer.

We were wondering why a dozen or so teenagers were milling around on the sidewalk for no apparent reason other than to harass people. Now I know the story.

I'd really like to see more police presence downtown, Pittsburgh is the only major city I know of that really has sparse police coverage for its downtown core, PortAuthority seems decent but nothing special, but they have limited scope downtown. O'Connor needs to take a page from Gulianni (sp) and blanket downtown with blue.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed this as being a growing problem that this was inevitable. There are now masses of teenagers from opposing schools across the city congregating downtown after school as they transfer buses.

I can assure you that this is not just a Pittsburgh problem. The EXACT same thing is happening here in Providence, and probably other cities nationwide. The city's response was to open a police sub-station in the transit building and to post bike and patrol units in our centrally located bus hub during the hours that schools let out. Our high school students do not take school buses, but public transit buses.

Archived