Proximity Hotel

DigitalSky

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the design of the windows looks like a massive building, too bad it wasn't set downtown.

I agree, the architecture says this should be downtown. It looks like an old urban industtrial textile mill. Its ashame because downtown could use more midrises. the setting is everything. It would just be a more magical and romantic place if it were downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Prox_long_logo.jpg

august2date.jpg

siteplan.jpg

I love how the arrival canopy is shaped like the hotel's Logo with the big circle with the X in the center. The design is beginning to grow on me. At first it seemed too plain but when you take note of the architectural detail on the rendering and the fact that its suppose to look more like a textile mill. It looks great. Just imagine if this were being built near South Elm Street in downtown greensboro or next to the depot

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the design doesn't seem as though it would mesh well for downtown.

And look at all those parking spaces. If the developers are clueless about urban form, consider the location off Wendover a blessing.

Well said. This project is an anti-urban complete mistake in progress. It's no more than a funeral home portico attached to a minimum security prison with big windows.

There's no reason to cheer the arrival of this building.

• 3 months later...

i noticed this past week that there has been something interesting going on with the roof. i only realized today that the whole roof is covered in solar panels. this is sweet!

hopefully more people will build with renewable and sustainable energy in mind in greensboro. i know that there is a committe at uncg that is studying building new LEED-certified buildings on campus too.

here is a more recent photo. The Solar panels on rooftop are used to heat water and will be the largest solar powered water heater in the state. The solor panes actually resemble those angled skylites that you would see on an old textile mill or tobbaco factory. I know people knock the design but keep in mind the hotel is suppose to resemble old textile mills which were generally boxy anyway. My only complaint is that they are not useing dark colored brick.

dec12.jpg

147 Oversized Guestrooms including 10 suites

Provocative

Mindful Design

Harmonious with Nature

Vibrant Bistro (Bleu Denim Bistro)

Banqueting Space with Wonderful Vistas

Inviting Lobby Bar

Knowledgable Staff

Wi-Fi Technology

Expansive Fitness Studio

Peaceful Gardens

2.5 Acre Natural Habitat

Abundant Natural Light

Internet Salon

Seems as though if they were going for the old textile mill look, they didn't take the right approach. Right now it looks more like a suburban office building than a hotel. I would like Bo Aughtry, the Greenville developer, to do Greensboro's next downtown hotel; he definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to that.

I'm sure that when this thing is done, it will look more aesthetically pleasing. Of course, the place looks like crap with dirt, bulldozers, and cranes around it. Once the building is completed with landscaping, lighting, signage, etc, we'll likely, and hopefully, be singing a different tune. All we have to do is look at O'Henry across the street to see the quality of work we should expect.

• 1 month later...

yes weekly had a cool little article about the proximity hotel last week. i didn't know they were going for LEED gold certification. apparently, the elevators help produce electricity when they are on their way down as well. add that to the solar panels and a percentage of the materials being recycled and this project becomes a lot cooler to me.

yes weekly had a cool little article about the proximity hotel last week. i didn't know they were going for LEED gold certification. apparently, the elevators help produce electricity when they are on their way down as well. add that to the solar panels and a percentage of the materials being recycled and this project becomes a lot cooler to me.

• 1 month later...

Archived