New Eight to Ten Story Development Proposal Coming Soon in East Lansing

jaredw

[FROM THE STATE NEWS 02/23/06]

Some of the flattest space left in downtown East Lansing could be transformed into one of the city's tallest structures.

With the City Council's blessing, a private developer is researching the feasibility of building on the site of Lot 1, a city-owned parking lot located on Albert Avenue across from Harper's Restaurant & Brewpub.

The proposed project would include a mix of residential and retail space similar to the City Center development, which stretches from Barnes & Noble Booksellers at the corner of Charles Street, to Cosi on M.A.C. Avenue.

A new hotel

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Within the past couple years East Lansing revised it's zoning laws to allow for taller buildings in certain places, I can't remember the specifics though. I'm glad to see more proposals like this, hopefully it will go through. East Lansing could begin to form a real downtown with all the projects coming up, only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought GR did have some pretty good downtown retail. I remember awhile ago I went to some sort of little mall there, I thaught it was a few stories tall, but I can't remember much more than that, any idea what that is, or was?

If the developer gets to work with the entire lot, he's got a huge floor plate to work with. I hope we see some interesting ground floor retail. Maybe Whole Foods or something like that. There are a ton of people that live near this location and walk by it daily.

I've got nothing for you hood, but if you're familiar with EL at all, its just North of the Urban Outfitters and South of Harpers. Also, it's just west of the Riv. Also for the project, I hope they keep some public parking. Maybe they could do something similar to what Buchanan was planning in GR and put a level or two underground and let the city continue to operate it.

Yeah, the city MUST demand that the developer fit public parking into this one. That lot is always filled to the brim. Downtown East Lansing is physically small, and while that can be a good thing, they must be sure that they maximize all of the land, and this includes supply ample parking. Hopefully, not too far into the future, we'll see that Grand River lightrail that many dream to connect downtown Lansing and downtown East Lansing, and that will cut back on the amount of parking the city requires.

EL doesen't need anymore parking. I was looking at the city council meetings and they said that people are simply choosing to use the surface lots and leave the ramps mostly empty. I think I know where it is now, it's harpers that I recognize, its the lot with the little toll booth, right?

Yeah, the city MUST demand that the developer fit public parking into this one. That lot is always filled to the brim. Downtown East Lansing is physically small, and while that can be a good thing, they must be sure that they maximize all of the land, and this includes supply ample parking. Hopefully, not too far into the future, we'll see that Grand River lightrail that many dream to connect downtown Lansing and downtown East Lansing, and that will cut back on the amount of parking the city requires.

Is a line like this any more than speculation right now? I don't understand why it isn't given more attention, because IMO it would be a complete success right away. All the infrastructure is in place for immediate success.

Right now, it's just floating around the mayor's office. But I've been told that at the very least, they will use the trolley bus as shuttle to start things off if they don't first go to ligh trail. IMO, that's an incredibly cheesy, and I'd just rather they wait, but he seems pretty serious about this.

It would be a success. CATA, Lansing's transit system, has the second highest ridership in the state.

Archived