New Cities In South Fulton!?!

ironchapman

It would seem that there is a movement in South Fulton COunty to create two new cities also (I think they could pick better names for them, though :P )

New Cities Eyed South of Atlanta (11alive.com)

A bill in the state Senate which could also create two new cities in south Fulton.

Reed has introduced a bill calling for the creation of two cities south of Atlanta. One would be Chattahoochee Hill Country, the other, South Fulton City.

Like I said, I think they could have chosen better names for them.

I wonder what will happen to Fulton County if efforts by these communities to incorporate succeed?

However, there is hope:

It is expected that the state legislature will tighten the rules of incorporation next session.

Let's just hope they do that. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why they don't call the new city Cascade or Sandtown or Campbellton or even Camp Creek?

If I had to make a suggestion.....and I don't because it's not my opinion that matters....why don't this area combine with the city of Atlanta. I'm sure you population buffs would love adding the 55,000+ citizens to the Atlanta population.

Speaking of South Fulton, I read somewhere that school officials expect to add 25,000 new students to the school district. A whooping 13 of the 15 fastest growing schools will be in South Fulton. There are alot of people moving into the area. I will try find it in the AJC.

^I can't wait to see that article, Lady Celeste! 25,000 is quite a lot. I presume this means that, like you said, a lot of people must be moving into the area (it must be a lot, with 25,000 new students being added).

Atlanta annexing South Fulton sounds like a good idea and would be a great way to increase the city's (Atlanta's, of course) population. I wonder if they have considered this seriously?

I'm with you on the names, IC. Couldn't they at least name the potential cities for a person? "South Fulton City" is SO uninspiring.

If you ask me, Chattahoochee Hills Country is the most ridiculous one. It sounds like the name of a golf club or a subivision.

Atlanta annexing South Fulton sounds like a good idea and would be a great way to increase the city's (Atlanta's, of course) population. I wonder if they have considered this seriously?

It would be an excellent way to boost the population but why couldn't it be a more dense area? I'm sure that would cancel out any of the higher density figures the city has added in the past 5 years in one swift stroke. What are the most current density rates for the city anyway?

Ask and you will recieve....

Here you go Irony

Fulton County Schools

Celeste, that is amazing, thanks!

IC, I believe the possibility of Atlanta growing any further is pretty remote. How would it benefit the people in South Fulton? The last major annexation was sold on the basis that it would "balance" the city, but a lot of people who went along with that felt betrayed when the schools and other public facilities were desegregated in the 1960's and 70's. So they simply bailed out, and for a lot of them I don't think there's much attraction in coming back.

It would be an excellent way to boost the population but why couldn't it be a more dense area? I'm sure that would cancel out any of the higher density figures the city has added in the past 5 years in one swift stroke. What are the most current density rates for the city anyway?

I was wondering myself what it would do for density.

According to my own math dividing the ARC's 2005 population estimates for the city (442,100) by the total area of the city (133.1 sq. mi.), I came up with a figure of 3,321.5627 people/sq. mi. as the average dnsity figure for the city. However, we all know that there are much denser areas within the city.

IC, I believe the possibility of Atlanta growing any further is pretty remote. How would it benefit the people in South Fulton? The last major annexation was sold on the basis that it would "balance" the city, but a lot of people who went along with that felt betrayed when the schools and other public facilities were desegregated in the 1960's and 70's. So they simply bailed out, and for a lot of them I don't think there's much attraction in coming back.

I never believed it would grow any further. Any annexation by the city of Atlanta, IMO, will be a long ways off into the future considering the current attitudes of many communities towards the city. As it stands now, I'm pretty happy with the current boundaries. Since we are so boxed in, it means that any population growth is occuring because of people actually moving into the city, not because the city annexed a few square miles.

Well, if South Fulton keeps growing, I guess northeast Coweta and Northwest Fayette will get a lot of the spillover. Just like Cherokee and Forsyth to the north. It's about time if you ask me. I just hope teh developers grow in a better fashion this time.

Well, if South Fulton keeps growing, I guess northeast Coweta and Northwest Fulton will get a lot of the spillover. Just like Cherokee and Forsyth to the north. It's about time if you ask me. I just hope teh developers grow in a better fashion this time.

Just out of curiousity, how will growth in South Fulton spillover into Northwest Fulton? The two areas aren't even connected to each other accept by the fact that they are in the same county. I could easily see NE Coweta getting some of the growth, though.

Anyways, what kind of housing will this be (lower class, middle class, upper class, etc.)?

Anyways, what kind of housing will this be (lower class, middle class, upper class, etc.)?

I think the extreme southern part of Fulton is going to be decidedly upscale with the exception of extreme eastern southern Fulton county (Palmetto proper). The northern section of south Fulton is decidedly geared towards upper middle to upper class. John Wieland has six neighborhoods under construction and the cheapest one is from the $300s. He is about to start another two...one on Enon Rd and one on New Hope Rd...both from the 600's. They will feature his Colonnade Custom Homes. Atlanta Braves outfielder Brian Jordan has gotten into the development game with his Le Jardin neighborhood priced from $300's to 2million off of GA 92. There has been the successful The Lakes at Cedar Grove development which once completed will be a sorta mixed used development. While geared towards the family, it is nicely priced from the 190's to 400's. This is off of South Fulton Pkwy. Serenebe in the Chattahoochee Hill Country community is a very nicely done mixed used community. It was feature last week in the AJC. Apparently alot of northsiders are discovering this live/work/play community.

While this is more than you asked for Irony, I think the developments overall are geared towards the upscale family. I think with the exception of Palmetto and Union City most new developments are middle to upper middle class. Union City and Palmetto's developments seem to be geared towards the starter or near moveup market. Most of these neighborhoods are priced from the 140's to the 190's.

I drove through South Fulton on I-85 and Highway 29 (which will soon be as famous of a road as Holcolm Bridge or Winward Parkway) and it is obvious that south fulton is a on the verge of a population and development explosion. There were subdivisions and apartment complexes popping up everywhere. It's only a matter of time now. My one piece of advice to rural country folk stll living in south Fulton: Run! Run as fast as you can to Meriwether county!!

I drove through South Fulton on I-85 and Highway 29 (which will soon be as famous of a road as Holcolm Bridge or Winward Parkway) and it is obvious that south fulton is a on the verge of a population and development explosion. There were subdivisions and apartment complexes popping up everywhere. It's only a matter of time now. My one piece of advice to rural country folk stll living in south Fulton: Run! Run as fast as you can to Meriwether county!!

I think this is why Steve Nygren and his buddies started the whole Chattahoochee Hill Country Alliance movement. They saw that development was going to head this way and wanted to preserve some of the rural areas out there. The question is: Will they succeed?

I invite some of you to drive down to Palmetto and then take Hutcheson Ferry Road Westward. You won't believe that you're still in Fulton County!

I invite some of you to drive down to Palmetto and then take Hutcheson Ferry Road Westward. You won't believe that you're still in Fulton County!

Totally, Eric. I have some friends who have a farm over toward Rico and I love visiting them there.

This is a picture from Cochran Mill, which I think is one of Fulton County's most beautiful parks.

Cochran%20Mill.jpg

Extreme south Fulton is a gem to be preserved. I really do not want to see the area further ripped up to development. The area near the Chattahoochee River, around Rico, etc. is some of the most beautiful country in metro area. I agree. I drove the area a year or two ago, and you rarely see any cars in the area. It is country, country, and it is in Fulton County. Nowhere else in this metro of five million can you see such a sight. Well, perhaps a few areas in extreme southern Douglas county which borders the area, even though that area is more built-up than the mentioned area of South Fulton.

There's a couple at my church who have a house and property in southwest Fulton near the hooch, and it's beautiful! You would never believe that you were in Fulton County. I think if they're going to develop South Fulton then they should just completely block off a big portion of land in the southwest corner of the county and make it a park or just leave it as it is.

Unfortunately, the development is going to come. The South Fulton Parkway will be finishes later this year and shortly thereafter, Temple-Inland will start developing Wolf Creek (which is essentially at the tail end of the Parkway). These two things coupled with a general renewed interest in the South Fulton area will bring the growth.

I feel that the only realy hope of preserving some of this area is what the Chattahoochee Hill Country Alliance is doing. Sure, I see the initial impetus was somewhat self-serving for the major landowners (Steve Nygren et. al.), but I support what they are doing.

I just hope that the future "hamlets" and "villages" that tthe CHCA produces are less elitist than Serenbe. (Lord knows I can't afford to live there.)

• 9 months later...
I think the extreme southern part of Fulton is going to be decidedly upscale with the exception of extreme eastern southern Fulton county (Palmetto proper). The northern section of south Fulton is decidedly geared towards upper middle to upper class. John Wieland has six neighborhoods under construction and the cheapest one is from the $300s. He is about to start another two...one on Enon Rd and one on New Hope Rd...both from the 600's. They will feature his Colonnade Custom Homes. Atlanta Braves outfielder Brian Jordan has gotten into the development game with his Le Jardin neighborhood priced from $300's to 2million off of GA 92. There has been the successful The Lakes at Cedar Grove development which once completed will be a sorta mixed used development. While geared towards the family, it is nicely priced from the 190's to 400's. This is off of South Fulton Pkwy. Serenebe in the Chattahoochee Hill Country community is a very nicely done mixed used community. It was feature last week in the AJC. Apparently alot of northsiders are discovering this live/work/play community.

While this is more than you asked for Irony, I think the developments overall are geared towards the upscale family. I think with the exception of Palmetto and Union City most new developments are middle to upper middle class. Union City and Palmetto's developments seem to be geared towards the starter or near moveup market. Most of these neighborhoods are priced from the 140's to the 190's.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived