What To Call Our Region?

poonther

I don't really think we have a clear defined name for our area like many areas of Florida. There's the Emerald Coast (use to be the Mircle Strip or Redneck Riveria), First Coast, Suncoast, Space Coast, Treasure Coast, Gold Coast and many more.

I know the term Big Bend is used a lot for us, but that name just sounds so elementary or like the big clock tower in London.

There's the Nature Coast, but will that include interior areas and Taylor, Dixie and Levy counties also use that term.

I've read in the paper that the old editor of the Democrat quickly coined the term Big Bend when in a pinch but now wishes he'd coined Apalachee Bend as a better alternative.

Eastern Panhandle separates us from the Western Panhandle which I think of as all in Central Time Zone and has the beautiful sandy white beaches instead of our beautiful marshes and bays. Also I'm not sure if all of our region truly is in the Panhandle.

The Tally Biz Magazine "Business Matters" refers to us as the Capital Region. I like that but, Albany, NY and environs already uses the Capital District as their regional name.

The Red Hills is used also, but does that really include or coastal areas?

The TV stations tend to use the term North Florida, but that's pretty generic IMO.

So what do you guys think our regional name should be and why? Feel free to add your own if you don't like any of the choices.

Also what area encompasses our region? Do you include GA in it? For me I exclude GA in our region, no offense SW GA, and I roughly think of our region as the area between the two big rivers...Apalachicola to Suwannee, but excluding Hamilton, Lafayette and Dixie counties in the far eastern areas.

Looking forward to your responses. I've thought about this for quite some time. I think if we are going to act regionally, which we should, we should have one all emcompassing term for the region and use and market it!

Oh yeah I'm voting for Apalachee Bend.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Florida's Capitol Region, or Capitol Coast. I think its fair to reuse the same name as another state, so long as its unique within Florida. And we are best known as the state Capitol, and I feel more connected to Wakulla, Gadsden, Jefferson, and Franklyn counties (three of those are costal) so we should play on the Costal and the Capitol amenities.

I like Florida's Capitol Region, or Capitol Coast.

I agree 100% with TaureanJ. The "Capital Coast" or "Capitol Coast" both sound very distinguished and upscale. I am trying to think of another state capital that is located on or near the coast - Juneau, AK, is one, Annapolis, MD, is another, (plus Boston, MA, Providence, RI, and Honolulu, HI!) but I seriously doubt that anyone would confuse us with these coasts. I think we are very safe with this place name.

If we are going to make an effort to introduce it into the popular vernacular, we should decide on a spelling and/or meaning.

We are the "Capital Region" because Tallahassee is the state capital of Florida - the "Capital Coast" would be drawing on that etymology. This might be the easier route, because everyone knows the spelling of 'capital.' The word 'capital' also alludes to head and/or height. "Capital" has classical architectural associations - , i.e. the top of a classical column. This is especially convenient since we are located at the top of a long, slender state. (As a bonus, the Corinthian Order in classical architecture usually features an acanthus leaf design for capitals - we could use magnolias!)

The "Capitol Coast" would imply a connection to the physical buildings of government - The Capitol Building, the Capitol Complex, the Capitol Coast. I don't see a real advantage to this version. I would be concerned that the spellings might be confused.

So, which do you prefer. My vote goes to Capital Coast.

I'll go with Capital Coast... as you wrote it P McLane. I was debating which one to write when I made my suggestion. I just went with Capitol because my mind associated Capital with money.

Yeah! I like that association too. "Florida's Capital Coast, a great place to invest!"

Cool I like the direction this thread is taking already! I never really liked Capital Region, but I really like Capital Coast. I've never heard that one used before. Kudos to you TJ!

I like it w/the spelling of Capital better than Capitol. Like you said P_McLane CapitOl refers more to the buildings themselves. I also like the way you linked it to a column w/us at the top. That really makes it stick w/me. I also like the idea of using the magnolia blossom, of course Mississippi might get mad w/us since they use that symbol all the time. So how 'bout we impose the magnolia on top of just a simple palm frond? Either just on top of it or the frond as the leave of the Mag? That way we avoid being like Miss. and we link our Southerness w/our being Floridian?

Great ideas. I really like this.

I also like the way you linked it to a column w/us at the top. That really makes it stick w/me...

Great ideas. I really like this.

Here's a basic illustration to get us thinking about visuals:

00000000.jpg

I'll look for somthing a little more appropriate to a logo design and then post it after a while.

- P

Man I totally see where u are going w/this idea. The name and idea/image just click automatically for me. Like it's a natural. I really think we've hit on something here. So glad I asked you guys this question!

I googled Capital Coast just for fun. Many hits I got were for Coast Capital savings. It seems from googling, the only areas that really use that name are St. John's Newfoundland (rarely seems to use it) and Wellington, New Zealand (uses it the most.) Both those places I've never visited, but I've read much about them and they are really really cool places! Both places, but Wellington in particular are know for being "green" and very much pro environmental. Wellington takes pride in the fact that it is NOT Auckland (NZ's biggest city,) which Tally does the same pride thing about not being Miami or Orlando. So I think it fits like a glove.

Wow...this is Great! I also really like "Capital Coast" rather than "Capitol Coast" as the "a" version refers to a place whereas than the "o" version refers to a physical building. Florida's "Capital Coast Region" might also work & be more inclusive for those living close to us but not actually in Leon, Gadsden, Wakulla or Jefferson County or along the coast. The proposed toll road outlined in the 2030 transportation plan could then be called the "Capital Coast Parkway" instead of the proposed name of "Red Hills-Coastal Parkway". We need to use our influence & get all the Media outlets, Chambers of Commerce, Economic Development Council, etc. to start referring to our region by this name. I like this a lot more than just "North Florida" or "Big Bend". It's sounds so classy & progressive. Oh, we need to pitch this name to all the big developers too....especially the St. Joe Company & AIG-Baker. Glad you started this discussion thread Poonther Great ideas Everyone!

Although it applies to more than just our "Capital Coast" Region, does anyone else remember when the St. Joe Company spearheaded a campaign to rename our area and even incorported a group known as "Florida's Great Northwest"? Here's a link to the website: www.floridasgreatnorthwest.com/

At the time several Company's started using this new term in their advertising rather than Panhandle or Big Bend although I haven't heard it used much lately.

Personally I like Big Bend. It's a more descriptive name, geographically. I don't like Capital Coast because most of the area that term would encompass as has been described in this thread is not on the coast. I don't think many people think of Tallahassee as a coastal city.

Also, what's the reason for needing a new region name anyway? Is it primarily to lure investors? If so, why make the region so large? Certainly when I lived in Greenville, Florida we travelled to Tallahassee often, but Madison County is a whole other world in my opinion. For Madisonians, Valdosta's just as likely a place to go when you need big city things as Tallahassee is if not more so.

When I think of our region in terms of the state of Florida I think of the Big Bend region. However, when I think more specifically about the region closer to Tallahassee itself, I have to think about South Georgia as well. After all, it's less than 20 miles from downtown Tallahassee to the state line! I'm not sure what that region should be called though. North Florida/South Georgia suits me fine.

Well as a local I think Big Bend has worn out his welcome. Its an old school term, and we need to try moving forward. Capital Coast doesn't necessarily mean we are costal, but it would be the mark we place on the region covered by Jefferson, Wakulla, Liberty, Gadsden, and Leon Counties. Like Poonther, I think its time for something new, something that allows us to play on our identity as a Capital City and our presence in Florida, because eventually we will have a costal identity.

^ Maybe I'm being picky, but poonther's description of the area he was talking about in his first post would include Madison County, which is much less influenced by Tallahassee.

I guess we're really talking about two different things here. In my mind Tallahassee is but a small part of the area that would be included under the "Big Bend" name. I think its unlikely that people will stop using the name "Big Bend," but I'm talking about a geographic discription, and what you're talking about sounds more like a marketing description.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. It's simply my opinion that "Capital Coast" is an unatractive name for the region. Given the list of regions that poonther listed that have the word "coast" in their name, it makes Tallahassee and its surrounding counties sound generic. My feeling is that if you really want to give the region its own name separate from the greater Big Bend region, it should be something that really sets the area apart.

Well as a local I think Big Bend has worn out his welcome. Its an old school term, and we need to try moving forward. Capital Coast doesn't necessarily mean we are costal, but it would be the mark we place on the region covered by Jefferson, Wakulla, Liberty, Gadsden, and Leon Counties. Like Poonther, I think its time for something new, something that allows us to play on our identity as a Capital City and our presence in Florida, because eventually we will have a costal identity.

I think the big bend is classic as well, just like the treasure coast, space coast, etc...those areas will always be known as that.

I dont know if Capitol (or Capital) coast is the best way, because thats using a city in a landlocked county to describe coastal areas as well.

How about something more like the Capitol Region, or something similar, that includes the region, but doesnt just play on the coastal counties.

When I think of this area I think of it as either the "Big Bend" area (from local networks calling it that or the "Capital."

However, if I think the best term for the area is the "Red Hills of Tallahassee". Tallahassee was orginally built on seven hills of clay. Though it expanded out from there, I think the term still fits.

A bit more on red hills. The Red Hills area starts at the Cody Scarp, an anceint coast line (yes, Tallahasee used to be beach front property) where Tram Road currently is and heads north from there up though parts of Southern Georgia. The red clay comes from the Appalachian Mountains.

South of the Cody Scarp is Woodville Karst Plain. This is where Florida becomes flat and filled with sink holes. Wakulla springs is also on this Plain.

Archived