What To Call Our Region?

poonther

Ah I see nothing wrong w/the name Capital Region, however if they want to include the GA border counties in the branding, is that name really inclusive of them?

For what it's worth, I've never heard true South Floridians :P call it the Capital Region. Most of the ones I know call it "way up there" or the The Panhandle. That must be a SW Floridian term.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah I see nothing wrong w/the name Capital Region, however if they want to include the GA border counties in the branding, is that name really inclusive of them?

For what it's worth, I've never heard true South Floridians :P call it the Capital Region. Most of the ones I know call it "way up there" or the The Panhandle. That must be a SW Floridian term.

What?! No "Redneck Riviera" suggestions??? Just kidding. Seriously, our local media in Orlando sometimes calls Tally the "Capital Region". I sorta like that one. IMO, "Capital Hills" kind of sounds like the name of a suburb.

Just as the Junior Museum will always be the Junior Museum, the Big Bend is likely to always be the Big Bend, no matter what marketing-style name is attached to the region. I predict that any attempt to push a name change will result mostly in laughter and local jokes. Apalachee Bend *might* have a chance, because it's close to Big Bend, and familiar-sounding to locals.

No one I know calls it the Jr. Museum although I've heard that one before. As more transplants move into the area these old names will die off although it might take generations. I've seen this happen in other places. Except for the nostalgia part of it, I think these name changes are for the better. I mean Tally Museum is much better than Jr. Museum and Capital Circle is much better than The Truck Route. So hopefully they'll come up w/something better than Big Bend, cause when you think about or at least when I do, it's a silly sounding name.

P.S. Capefish it's always odd for me to see you refer to yourself as a South Floridian, however I take no offense to it. I generally reserve that term for those that live in the Urban Core of WPB to Miami. When I lived in South FL we always referred to you guys in the Naples/Ft Myers area as SW Florida and we were just South FL. And on that topic, most folks I knew in SFL (most transplants from the NE) didn't even know our region existed. Often times I was asked the question: "You're a grad. of FSU, is that the school in Gainesville or Tallahassee?" UGH! :)

Some other Florida marketing nicknames:

City of Miami = Magic City

Dade + Broward + Palm Beaches = Gold Coast

Fort Myers= City of Palms

Lee County = Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel (formerly the Lee Island Coast)

Collier County = Paradise Coast

I've not heard our animal museum called the Jr. Museum since I was a little boy!! I'd have to agree with the Poonther on this one.

Born and bred in the "urban core" of Miami-Fort Lauderdale. Moved to the "West Coast," as "East Coasters" call it, in high school.

BTW, Tallahassee is just the Capital.....hated when something wanted doesn't pass. (e.g. Marlins Ballpark) So the Tallahassee region is the Capital Area.

Tourism pushes I have seen for that area call it Tallahassee and the Forgotten Coast.

Panama City to about Fort Walton Beach are what I would call the Redneck Riviera.

Pensacola is their own thing out there.

*chips in his two quid*

I'd say stick with The Big Bend. The only other real option I can think of is The Red Hills, which would work nicely if you wanted to merge the Tallahassee-Thomasville area.

Just as long as it isn't "Florida's Great Northwest". vomit.gif

And from the original post...

Eastern Panhandle separates us from the Western Panhandle which I think of as all in Central Time Zone and has the beautiful sandy white beaches instead of our beautiful marshes and bays. Also I'm not sure if all of our region truly is in the Panhandle.

*chips in his two quid*

I'd say stick with The Big Bend. The only other real option I can think of is The Red Hills, which would work nicely if you wanted to merge the Tallahassee-Thomasville area.

Just as long as it isn't "Florida's Great Northwest". vomit.gif

And from the original post...

The definition of the 'Panhandle' is 'west of the Aucilla River', with the Apalachicola River dividing the Eastern and Western Panhandles. So Gadsden, Leon, Jefferson, Wakulla all Panhandle Rules O-K. :D

I don't know if I'd be as concerned about the GA counties in coming up with a name for our region, despite their significance to us. Clearly, the region will be composed of primarily Florida counties, give or take one or two. This is Florida's Capital region, the inclusion of two Georgia counties doesn't change this.

Watch your back the next time you are in T'ville TJ. First you gave them trouble for being on Tally/UP and now this lack of love statement. :)

Seriously, I understand what you mean and the Capital Region is cool w/me...better than Big Bend....what's that a clock in England? A child's nickname for our region? However I was just trying to go by the guidelines and info mentioned in the Chamber article that Glenn linked us too.

Watch your back the next time you are in T'ville TJ. First you gave them trouble for being on Tally/UP and now this lack of love statement. :)

Seriously, I understand what you mean and the Capital Region is cool w/me...better than Big Bend....what's that a clock in England? A child's nickname for our region? However I was just trying to go by the guidelines and info mentioned in the Chamber article that Glenn linked us too.

A Birder's Guide to Florida (Bill Pranty) considers the Aucilla as the eastern extent of the panhandle. I don't have any others I can cite off the top of my head but that's always been my understanding of it...

I don't really consider Madison and Taylor Counties to be part of the Tallahassee region. IMHO, Madison is more tied to Live Oak and Lake City, while Perry is part of the Taylor-Dixie-Gilchrist-Lafayette block. (Keaton Beach, for instance, isn't at all part of the Capital area...).

OK so if we've decided where the P'handle ends/begins at the Aucilla River...........then what do you call the region just east of the Aucilla but not quite in the Peninsula (the area North of G'ville to the GA border?) I know geographically it's called North Central FL, but in a few books etc. that I've read I've heard it referred to as Florida's Crown or The Crown of Florida. Ever heard that term? I don't think it's used much. And where exactly does the Peninsula begin? :)

Archived