Colleges in the Bronx

ctman987

I have applied and been accepted at Manhattan College (Riverdale), College of Mount Saint Vincent (Riverdale) and Fordham. I am curious about what these schools reputations are in the area. Are they active in the community? Would the area be the same if they left? Are there lots of students on there campuses?

I would really appreciate your feedback and info

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have applied and been accepted at Manhattan College (Riverdale), College of Mount Saint Vincent (Riverdale) and Fordham. I am curious about what these schools reputations are in the area. Are they active in the community? Would the area be the same if they left? Are there lots of students on there campuses?

I would really appreciate your feedback and info

I have attended both Manhattan College and College of Mount St. Vincent and know a little about Fordham so I can probably help:

*Something that alot of people dont know is that Manhattan College and College of Mount St. Vincent are partner schools, so you will end up taking classes on both schools. The infamous "cheese bus" provides transportation between the campuses. HOWEVER, there are major differences between the campuses and the student body.

MANHATTAN COLLEGE (aka MC): Great small catholic college. The campus is well taken care of, however it is a boring. The student body is usually pretty smart. They tend to consists of catholic school kids from NYC suburbs. MC is well known for its engineering programs as well as Computer Science, Mathematics and Chemistry. The school is located in a desirable (maybe the only) neighborhood in the Bronx.

Go to this school if you are interested in a small private college setting and are interested in the majors I mentioned. Also the student body a little higher rank than CMSV.

COLLEGE OF MOUNT SAINT VINCENT(aka CMSV): Beautiful (and I mean BEAUTIFUL) campus with a small (very small) student body. Back in my day, there were less than 1000 students and most of them were women (80%+). The school is centered on degrees like Psychology, Education, Communications and Business. The student body usually consists of catholic school kids from NYC suburbs as well as the inner city (major difference in comparison to MC). Mount St. Vincent tends to offer very generous financial aid packages, in an effort to attract better students. The school is located in a desirable (maybe the only) neighborhood in the Bronx.

Go to this school if you are interested in a small private college setting (and gorgeous campus) and are interested in the majors I mentioned. Also, the student body is very diverse, but also the least brightest of the three.

FORDHAM UNIVERSITY: This is the cream of the crop university in the Bronx. It is also the top undergrad school in NYC after Columbia and NYU. The student body is diverse and very bright. HOWEVER, the area is very undesireable and scary neighborhood.

Go to this school if you want to get a top notch education, and are willing to live within the confines of the Campus.

As far as their involvement in the community... None of these are involved with the mostly poor community of the Bronx. I've meet many people in the Bronx who havent ever heard of MC/CMSV. Most of these private school kids would not be caught dead in the Bronx other than the snob community of Riverdale.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ctman987,

I'm a current grad student at Fordham. I can't speak directly about the undergrad experience, but my impression is that they really enjoy the school. The campus itself is beautiful and usually very busy with students. The area off campus isn't anything to be afraid of. It's in a great location being adjacent to the NY Botanical Gardens, the Bronx Zoo and a 10 minute walk to the subway. The nearby Arthur Avenue comprises a sort of micro little italy with a handful of good restaurants, bakeries and pizza places. I wouldn't recommend walking about by yourself in the middle of the night, but the students definately don't confine themselves to the campus. In fact several of the more popular undergrad bars are well off campus. I don't want to make it sounds too rosy, the locals definately need to pick up after their dogs more and litter less. If you're going to have a car and park it off campus, at some point it will probably get keyed or have a window broken, and you'll come across people begging for money once in a while. In the area, I think the school is looked at as a really great institution and important for the local economy, but there definately is some bitterness towards the students on occasions. I don't think it's any more severe than with most colleges though. I had a friend who went to Binghamptom University and the locals hated the students. I've heard similar situations for many schools. I hope this is somewhat helpful and feel free to ask more questions about the school if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived