N.C. Global Transpark...Right idea wrong location?

kmurphy19662003

It was political pork barrel project designed by the rural politics dominated NC Legislature to pour endless amounts of tax money into a backwash of NC in hopes of making it something that it isn't. If they were going to build somethink like this, it should have gone near one of the 3 major urban areas.

Very Very well said. :thumbsup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen

Us small town boyz need somewhere that's not a city or a city wanna-be.

However, I do wonder if it's possible to create jobs without turning into a major metropolis. There are quite a few successful smaller towns out there that have been able to prosper, however, when opportunity comes knocking, it usually makes it bigger. I guess there has to be a choice, either stay small and stagnant, or be growing and prosperous. It's a pity we can't maintain a small town and still attract growth.

College towns can go without a ton of growth to gain good jobs. Charlottesville for example has growth (not a whole lot though) yet has maintained growth while getting many high paying jobs. More important than growth itself is maintaining a healthy amount of growth. Not too much, to destory the history and past culture of a town. Both RDU and CLT have done this.

College towns can go without a ton of growth to gain good jobs. Charlottesville for example has growth (not a whole lot though) yet has maintained growth while getting many high paying jobs. More important than growth itself is maintaining a healthy amount of growth. Not too much, to destory the history and past culture of a town. Both RDU and CLT have done this.

I know Charlottesville well, I am from VA. I had an operation in Charlottesville when I was 14. It is a nice place overall, but it doesn't fit my idea of a small town. College towns to me have a major drawback-college kids. Charlottesville's MSA used to be growing at a rather high rate, although the city itself is showing a slight decline. It started from a very low base, which is why it didn't get much larger while it grew rapidly. Still a bit too large for me, however, and with a major university present (U. of VA.) it wouldn't be my kinda town.

• 1 year later...

If they had to build this transpark it would have been more successful if they had built it near Raleigh/Durham Intl, Piedmont Triad Intl or Charlotte/Douglas Airport. A project like this needs to be located in an urban area where there is industry to support it and a good transportation network. No offense to anyone that lives in Kinston or Eastern, NC but it was just built in a bad location.

If they had to build this transpark it would have been more successful if they had built it near Raleigh/Durham Intl, Piedmont Triad Intl or Charlotte/Douglas Airport. A project like this needs to be located in an urban area where there is industry to support it and a good transportation network. No offense to anyone that lives in Kinston or Eastern, NC but it was just built in a bad location.

Definitely, and FedEx's interest in RDU, and now location at PTI bears that out. Of course, there's no way the GTP would have been sited at either of these airports because it was always intented to be an economic catylst for E. NC.

Economic development in E NC is a tough issue. Do you just let the area die or do something? I don't think the state has the answer, but let's recall that at some aspects of RTP and Charlotte's banking success were both driven by state public policy decisions. One being creating the RTF; the other liberal state banking laws. I do agree that the GTP has proven to be a losing proposition.

Economic development in E NC is a tough issue. Do you just let the area die or do something? I don't think the state has the answer, but let's recall that at some aspects of RTP and Charlotte's banking success were both driven by state public policy decisions. One being creating the RTF; the other liberal state banking laws. I do agree that the GTP has proven to be a losing proposition.

I would assume that many of these economically hard-hit communities would take any growth they could get (i.e. no growth regulations in place). There have already been millions, if not billions, of dollars thrown at this area in infrastructure improvements, such as utilities and roads to nowhere, that it would be absurd to bail this failed pork-project out again.

This is a very telling statistic that I did not know...North Carolina has the SECOND HIGHEST rural population in the USA, behind Texas. Tenth largest state, second largest rural state. Sheds light on some of the political decision making that shafts our cities.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s0029.pdf

The build it and they will come philosophy doesn't work and this is a prime example. The NCRC will follow the same fate as its been nearly impossible for them to recruit faculty. The state keeps pouring money into these ideas that seem great on the surface but don't pan out in actuality.

Archived