Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mallguy

Worst Southern Mall?

127 posts in this topic

Having been to lots of malls all around the South, I'd say that Gaston Mall at exit 21 on I-85 in North Carolina is the worst. It was probably built in the late 1960s and appears never to have been updated in the inside; even its stores seem to be leftover locally-owned stores from the 1970s, such as a fabric store and various service-oriented stores. It's really terrible, although it has a Harris-Teeter and a closing Media Play.

Any other suggestions as to the South's worst mall?

I heart the Gaston Mall for its nostalgia. I don't think i could really pick a "worst" mall.

Eastwood in Birmingham is the oldest mall in the region, but it was so horribly neglected that it will be demolished & replaced by a Wal-Mart.

Greenbriar Mall in Atlanta is pretty bad, tend to be a lot of shootings there. West End Mall in ATL is also bad, most of the car thefts that turn into police chases occur there. In Augusta, Regency Mall has been abandoned for over 10 years and is covered in weeds and cracked pavement.

Shannon mall 15 minutes south of Atlanta is in pretty bad shape. However, with the new wave of growth in south fulton county, this could change

Greenbriar Mall in Atlanta is pretty bad, tend to be a lot of shootings there.

Oh my word....really? When was the last shooting there?

Definitely the Gateway Mall in Jacksonville's northside and one of Jax's first malls. Now it is a worthless mall/strip center with not too many good stores. Still, the area is very urban and is north of all the current redevelopment, so maybe in a few years that mall and area will pick up a little.

Gulfview Square - Port Richey, FL

University Mall - Tampa, FL

I am not sure when the last shooting was, but I used to see it on the news all the time because of shootings that happened there. A guy I knew in my Med Tech class also was there once when a shooting happened involving 4 people and he had to rush for cover. It may have changed since then, but I am not sure revitalization has reached that area just yet.

I am not sure when the last shooting was, but I used to see it on the news all the time because of shootings that happened there. A guy I knew in my Med Tech class also was there once when a shooting happened involving 4 people and he had to rush for cover. It may have changed since then, but I am not sure revitalization has reached that area just yet.

While it's not the model of malldoom, I would hate for someone to paint an unfair picture of the place.

Now I have been in Atlanta for a long time and I can't for the life if me recall the last time I heard of someone getting shot at Greenbriar Mall. I would hate to think that Atlanta has become so hard that a shooting at an area mall would go unreported.

I dont know about worst, but speaking of shootings, one of the most dangerous would have to be Eastland mall in charlotte. I always find myself there though.

Eden Mall in Eden, NC. Empty, sad and almost pointless.

Actually, Reidsville's "Penrose Mall" is even more pathetic.

There are a couple of other pathetic malls: LaGrange Mall (LaGrange, GA) and the Statesboro Mall (Statesboro, GA).

Actually, Reidsville's "Penrose Mall" is even more pathetic.
You're right, Pennrose Mall is pretty sad too. I figured it was more occupied than Eden Mall though.

Two malls in Rockingham County?

Damn

Seriously this county has two sh***y malls.. It should just build one better-serving central mall

Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro. It's always crowded with crazy people and people who do nothing but hang out and block entrances and everything like that. It's just too popular and not nostalgic enough.

Goldsboro mall. The last time I was there it was half full and the interior looked like a 1970's movie set. The patrons where not that desirable either.

Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro. It's always crowded with crazy people and people who do nothing but hang out and block entrances and everything like that. It's just too popular and not nostalgic enough.
Eh. It is crowded, but it is plenty nostalgic for me. Four Seasons is one of the better malls in this part of the country.

Sounds like the Brunswick Square Mall in East Brunswick, NJ

Never seen so many gothic kids in my life that have metal piercings allover their body. One of these fridays, im gonna bring a magnet and see how many kids i can drag down the mall before security kicks me out.