Worst Southern Mall?

mallguy

Having been to lots of malls all around the South, I'd say that Gaston Mall at exit 21 on I-85 in North Carolina is the worst. It was probably built in the late 1960s and appears never to have been updated in the inside; even its stores seem to be leftover locally-owned stores from the 1970s, such as a fabric store and various service-oriented stores. It's really terrible, although it has a Harris-Teeter and a closing Media Play.

Any other suggestions as to the South's worst mall?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenbriar Mall in Atlanta is pretty bad, tend to be a lot of shootings there. West End Mall in ATL is also bad, most of the car thefts that turn into police chases occur there. In Augusta, Regency Mall has been abandoned for over 10 years and is covered in weeds and cracked pavement.

Definitely the Gateway Mall in Jacksonville's northside and one of Jax's first malls. Now it is a worthless mall/strip center with not too many good stores. Still, the area is very urban and is north of all the current redevelopment, so maybe in a few years that mall and area will pick up a little.

I am not sure when the last shooting was, but I used to see it on the news all the time because of shootings that happened there. A guy I knew in my Med Tech class also was there once when a shooting happened involving 4 people and he had to rush for cover. It may have changed since then, but I am not sure revitalization has reached that area just yet.

I am not sure when the last shooting was, but I used to see it on the news all the time because of shootings that happened there. A guy I knew in my Med Tech class also was there once when a shooting happened involving 4 people and he had to rush for cover. It may have changed since then, but I am not sure revitalization has reached that area just yet.

While it's not the model of malldoom, I would hate for someone to paint an unfair picture of the place.

Now I have been in Atlanta for a long time and I can't for the life if me recall the last time I heard of someone getting shot at Greenbriar Mall. I would hate to think that Atlanta has become so hard that a shooting at an area mall would go unreported.

Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro. It's always crowded with crazy people and people who do nothing but hang out and block entrances and everything like that. It's just too popular and not nostalgic enough.
Eh. It is crowded, but it is plenty nostalgic for me. Four Seasons is one of the better malls in this part of the country.

Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro. It's always crowded with crazy people and people who do nothing but hang out and block entrances and everything like that. It's just too popular and not nostalgic enough.

Sounds like the Brunswick Square Mall in East Brunswick, NJ

Never seen so many gothic kids in my life that have metal piercings allover their body. One of these fridays, im gonna bring a magnet and see how many kids i can drag down the mall before security kicks me out.

Archived