Worst Southern Mall?

mallguy

Not the worst, but one I no longer visit is McFarland Mall right here in T-town. Ever since the bigger University Mall opened in 1980, it's been withering away and I'm always surprised that any of the stores inside have survived since the one anchor store is the only real drawing card.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to both Eden Mall and Pennrose Mall tonight. Eden Mall is very clean inside, but you can't buy anything there because there are almost no stores left. Pennrose Mall is doing a little better from a retail standpoint, but it's possibly the most run-down, functioning mall I've ever seen.

Pennrose Mall is doing a little better from a retail standpoint, but it's possibly the most run-down, functioning mall I've ever seen.

Pennrose Mall is still open? Last I went there was about 10 years ago and it seemed pretty dead. I heard JC Penny's is gone.

Pennrose Mall is still open? Last I went there was about 10 years ago and it seemed pretty dead. I heard JC Penny's is gone.
JCPenney never was replaced, but there's still about 10 stores left in Pennrose Mall. Customer traffic is next to nothing, though suprisingly stable.

JCPenney never was replaced, but there's still about 10 stores left in Pennrose Mall. Customer traffic is next to nothing, though suprisingly stable.

Pennrose has a Belk and a Peebles, two anchors also found at the Eden Mall. Doesn't the Eden Mall also have JC Penney?

The other stores in the Pennrose Mall include, if I'm not mistaken, a music store, a shoe store, an arcade, a putt-putt location, a U.S. Military Recruiting office, a few knick-knak shops, and maybe a few others.

old hickory mall in jackson tennessee. there are too many fights there and you can't walk through the halls without having to push through a gang of little thugs (and so as not to repeat an incident that we had earlier with a mall thread, notice i said thugs, not any one race). my family in jackson has quit going there altogether because they are scared and don't like being harassed everytime they just want to shop.

Pennrose has a Belk and a Peebles, two anchors also found at the Eden Mall. Doesn't the Eden Mall also have JC Penney?

The other stores in the Pennrose Mall include, if I'm not mistaken, a music store, a shoe store, an arcade, a putt-putt location, a U.S. Military Recruiting office, a few knick-knak shops, and maybe a few others.

Pennrose has a Belk and Roses, but no Peebles. There are also two shoe stores, a florist, Hibbet Sports, a tax office, a cell phone store, military recruiting and a gift shop.

Eden Mall has a putt-putt location, a U.S. Military Recruiting office, a few knick-knak shops, and Belk and Pebles. No JCPenney.

old hickory mall in jackson tennessee. there are too many fights there and you can't walk through the halls without having to push through a gang of little thugs (and so as not to repeat an incident that we had earlier with a mall thread, notice i said thugs, not any one race). my family in jackson has quit going there altogether because they are scared and don't like being harassed everytime they just want to shop.

Agreed. Going there recently there have already been 2 stores and the pretzel place :cry: close, and a 3rd store is having a goin' out of business sale. All of this in one month. What's worse, is that this is the only mall for miles too, because the nearest real malls are in Memphis/Nashville.

Agreed. Going there recently there have already been 2 stores and the pretzel place :cry: close, and a 3rd store is having a goin' out of business sale. All of this in one month. What's worse, is that this is the only mall for miles too, because the nearest real malls are in Memphis/Nashville.

the area around the columns have really killed off that mall too. my cousins usually have to come to nashville when they want to seriously go shopping. for some reason they don't like to go to memphis. i personally like that new (well fairly new mall) besides autozone park.

I have been laughing all day about the McFarland Mall website- certainly nice for someone to have his own shopping center, but not good to use a personal site on home.comcast.net to make the mall's website; pitiful! Mall websites have to be intuitive- like eastlandmall.com and the like.

Thanks to all for the info on these poor shopping centers!

• 1 month later...

University Mall - Little Rock, AR

For a "dead mall" this place had lots of traffic this past weekend when I was there. The mall is across the street from Park Plaza (the king mall in LR). University Mall has 2 anchors: JCPenney and MM Cohn.

MM Cohn was once the high end department store of Little Rock and even had some locations here in Memphis. MM Cohn is now a part of the Dunlap Stores family. The store was a disgrace and looked like an indoor yard sale. Someone needs to go in and buy that chain and restore it to its former glory. You could tell it was nice at one point.

Amazingly enough - there were a lot of people shopping there.

University Mall - Little Rock, AR

For a "dead mall" this place had lots of traffic this past weekend when I was there. The mall is across the street from Park Plaza (the king mall in LR). University Mall has 2 anchors: JCPenney and MM Cohn.

MM Cohn was once the high end department store of Little Rock and even had some locations here in Memphis. MM Cohn is now a part of the Dunlap Stores family. The store was a disgrace and looked like an indoor yard sale. Someone needs to go in and buy that chain and restore it to its former glory. You could tell it was nice at one point.

Amazingly enough - there were a lot of people shopping there.

No kidding. Everyone's waiting for that one to be torn down and has been for a decade.

Simon built the mall on leased property, currently the land is worth MORE without the mall on it than with it there. The property owners are suing them to try to get them to leave so they can tear it down and sell the land.

• 1 month later...

Archived