Cadillac Luggage closes doors after decades in Detroit

speck76

Cadillac Luggage closes doors after decades in Detroit

Adam Brook talks Wednesday about closing Cadillac Luggage. His father and grandfather also sold luggage in Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS05/602230498

The good news is that with Cadillac Luggage pulling out, the Detroit Commerce Bank will expand into its space on the Penobscot Building's first floor.

(there, I posted something positive :) )

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he knew it was negative which is why he felt the need at the end to try and show the only silver linning you can. With this said, there are countless small businesses that have been added to the mix in the last year. This is a loss, no doubt, but wouldn't you say that overall, downtown has more business than it's had in years? This is one negative thing amongst of sea of other openings.

I hope to see Speck post new openings of businesses downtown with the same fervency he does in posting the bad news.

Yeah, I can only imagine how disappointing it may be for an old-timer. I'm one of the young persons that never knew a vibrant downtown, so all of the little things happening seem pretty impressive to me whenever I visit. I try to judge things, though, not necessarily where they are or where they were, but whether and area is on an upswing of downswing. I feel pretty confidant that downtown retail is slowly, but surely, is returning to a tipping point, something you couldn't have necessarily said 10-15 years ago.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what has kept you in Detroit when I'm sure you saw so many other's around you leave?

No, he knew it was negative which is why he felt the need at the end to try and show the only silver linning you can. With this said, there are countless small businesses that have been added to the mix in the last year. This is a loss, no doubt, but wouldn't you say that overall, downtown has more business than it's had in years? This is one negative thing amongst of sea of other openings.

I hope to see Speck post new openings of businesses downtown with the same fervency he does in posting the bad news.

Again....news is news.....but don't be so short-sighted.....5 years or more ago, the luggage store would have closed, and NOTHING would have replaced it.....at least it is being replaced.

I would love to build downtown....I would love to open some decent restaurants along the lines of the finest in Chicago, New Orleans, and New York......would you care to finance my project?

No, because Detroit has it's own unique blend of restaurants! ;)

I say we should all hold off and let speck announce the retail of 1 Kennedy Sq when it comes out. It'll be an initiation of sorts.

Detroit has great restaurants.....and I will trade you a Coney Island for a Chic-fil-A any day.....

We don't have Coney Islands here....and that really sucks....the closest thing we have is

31196311072003143554Logo.jpg

but it is downtown, and only open 7am-2:30pm M-F :cry:

There is always room for new dining concepts.....

I didn't know I had such a wide variety to choose from. Since I enjoy pleasure so much, I'll go with the regular type.

Good grief! Who invented this store? :rofl:

Maybe I should have suggested Winn Dixie instead.

Winn Dixie.....most in this area have closed....they have not been doing well for quite a while.

Myself, I prefer either Whole Foods, or Super Target

Again....news is news.....but don't be so short-sighted.....5 years or more ago, the luggage store would have closed, and NOTHING would have replaced it.....at least it is being replaced.

I would love to build downtown....I would love to open some decent restaurants along the lines of the finest in Chicago, New Orleans, and New York......would you care to finance my project?

Believe me, if I had the means, I'd do just that. One day I hope to be an investor/developer in underserved areas, particularly here in Michigan, and especially Detroit.

Believe me, if I had the means, I'd do just that. One day I hope to be an investor/developer in underserved areas, particularly here in Michigan, and especially Detroit.

I once wanted to do that.....but I have not the means, and I am content in my current profession.

Yeah, the hardest part seems to be getting there. There is no college course or degree teaching one how to be a developer. It's one of those "illegitimate" people with money just seem to be attracted to. Actually, it's more a combination of different educations and skills.

Law would be the best.....real estate laws can be funky, and being an expert in the field would definately allow you to use the laws and loopholes to your advantage. Contract law would not hurt either.

Archived