New Signature Rendering

it's just dave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great photo, which leads me to a newbie question. How did you post the photo directly in your post? I tried this earlier, but failed. The only related option I see is the one that allows you to post the url of an image.

Usually what I do... i'm assuming others do as well... is host your photos on a photo hosting site, like Photobucket (I hope its ok to post that url) and use the option that you already came across... the insert image/photo link button.

As for the new Signature rendering... wow! That thing is gonna be huge lol Hopefully we'll see more of similar size right next to it in the near future :)

I saw this a few days ago also, but I wonder why they left Suntrust out of the rendering? Everything else is there including the Beverly Briley building.

I can only guess that it's put together for Tony's purposes, and the Suntrust building (I won't call it a tower) would partly obscure the Sig. Regarding the Briley Building, I think that's in the photo b/c it is already there. It looked like that when they took the actual photo on which to put their graphics. I guess the ballpark is there for reference.

Among other things missing from the photo is an 11 story apartment building by General Development to go on the corner of First and Gateway (opposite GW from the Ballpark and next to the DES Station). Plus, Streuver has proposed a 12-14 story office building for the lot between the DES and the river (right next to the Gateway Bridge). MDHA has given their tentative approval for this building.

I probably shouldn't say anything about this...but I have a good buddy connection who is on the design team, and this person told me yesterday that the Signature is coming along absolutely smashingly. This pro is no easy pleaser, either--rather, a hard-core contemporary organic architect...and even though we disagree on some things (I am a classicist, my friend is not) we come within inches of aesthetic commonality on most everything.

My friend said that the "lotus flower" top is being made more graceful and beautiful, the ground floor is fantastically transparent and pedestrian-oriented, and that the lobby is going to be two stories and rad.

I couldn't get any more information, because my friend wants to respect the discretion of the people involved...and basically, my pal didn't tell me anything more than "it's going to be awesome." But enough "specifically awesome" elements were referred to that I am more excited than ever about this project. The fact that a good transparent ground floor is part of the program pleases all of the urban design concerns I had about its early "corporate glossy" appearance--and even though I am not a skyscraper fan, I think the Signature will make Nashville a better city to live in (assuming energy prices don't render it uninhabitable in thirty years, but whatever).

We will have something to be proud of! Especially in light of the (groan) Museum "Plaza" up in Louisville. At least our major skyscraper looks like it was designed by adults. Long live Giarratana!

I saw this a few days ago also, but I wonder why they left Suntrust out of the rendering? Everything else is there including the Beverly Briley building.

Most of this rendering is a photo so everything that is actually there is there so to speak. Suntrust is not shown because it doesn't exist yet and because Tony paid for the rendering he is not going to include a "competitors" building for free or otherwise. I guess he included Schermerhorn and the generic stadium to show its proximity to ST and Veridian. I still can't stop looking at this thing!

Thanks NewTowner, these things were eluded to at out meeting, but nothing to the extent that we can truly understand the breadth of the changes at street being discussed. I do remember hearing "transparent" before I was lost.

Your descriptions are exciting. When the big picture is published for all to see, I think we'll all be blown away.

Thanks, NT.

I DO believe the Sig is going to be taller than was previously announced a while back. It's going to have more than 55 stories. IMO, the only question is "HOW MANY MORE"? I can't wait for the official announcement. It's going to blow some people away and there will be considerable reaction throughout the country! The announcement should be no more than two months away, maybe less!

That building looks great. I also like the baseball stadium but think it should be oriented so the view beyond the outfield wall would be of the skyline.

Yeah that would be nice if the skyline could be the backdrop. The problem is that the stadium would then be facing a westerly direction which leads to problems for batters looking into a setting sun during afternoon games. I'm just glad the stadium will not be of that style shown in the picture.

Yeah that would be nice if the skyline could be the backdrop. The problem is that the stadium would then be facing a westerly direction which leads to problems for batters looking into a setting sun during afternoon games. I'm just glad the stadium will not be of that style shown in the picture.

Look in the Streuver plans for SoBro. They show the park oriented with the homeplate at the NW corner. In other words, it will be turned 1/4 rotation clockwise from the rendering. Part of the restriction is a huge underground rock at the SW corner. So, the outfield will be in the arc between Gateway and the river. So a the Gateway bridge will make a nice backdrop nonetheless.

I think you can expect a top-notch design from Streuver as suggested by their portfolio. It will be the nicest minor league bp in the south.

Thanks for responding. That makes sense. I was just thinking of the view. I guess it would be a good idea to make it playable for a game. :rolleyes:

You're right ATL. I've been an Orioles fan since I was a kid and was blown away when Camden Yards was completed. When Streuver's name came up in association with the new park I couldn't believe it. They really are a class operation. I hope it will still be possible to have ours completed by the spring of 2007. They talk like they're not sure now.

Thanks for responding. That makes sense. I was just thinking of the view. I guess it would be a good idea to make it playable for a game. :rolleyes:

Sure thing. I'm with you though. I really wish it could work with the skyline in outfield. ATLBrain is right too, it will look good with the river and the Gateway bridge as a backdrop. Unfortunately, the matal recycling plant will look terrible.

Sure thing. I'm with you though. I really wish it could work with the skyline in outfield. ATLBrain is right too, it will look good with the river and the Gateway bridge as a backdrop. Unfortunately, the matal recycling plant will look terrible.

Something definitely needs to be done about the metal recycling plant. If the new ballpark faces that, it would be absolutely terrible. I know a commission will be publishing a report for improving the waterfront ala Chattanooga, and I have to believe relocating the metal recycling plant will be a part of their recommendations. As far as I am concerned, the sooner the move is made, the better.

Hankster, as much as I hate looking at all that junk, this is one of those things at which I still manage to laugh. It never fails that when the "piles" go down I ask myself, Could it be? Just maybe they are clearing out. :w00t: The next day it's as high as it ever was. :wacko: I know it's just wishful thinking but someday...

Btw, do you happen to have a copy of the Signature Tower illustration that shows the footage of the individual floors and overall height of 636' or 635' to the 55th floor. It's the color coded one that they developed after the first redesign. It used to be on Tony's site but since it has changed it is no longer there.

Archived