Queens University

ncguy06

Hey guys, I've been looking into Queens University down there in Charlotte and im very interested in it. Im looking for some feedback from the locals who may know more than me, and who might be able to provide some info(good or bad) about the University. What is it's reputation in Charlotte? Would you consider it a reputable school? I know that it's quite close to Uptown, which of course is a plus for me, but I was also wondering about it's surroundings and what yall think of the area? I do plan on visiting in the next couple of weeks to get a better sence of the University for myself, but you all seem to be good, and honest people. So thanks in advance for the info.

-Coty

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear that the student body is mostly made up foreigners (i.e. much of the students are from other countries).

It is in the heart of Myers Park, an affluent and beautiful part of town. I know a few people that attend and they seem to enjoy it. McColl, of Bank of America and Nationsbank fame has invested a great deal of money into the school.

I hear that the student body is mostly made up foreigners (i.e. much of the students are from other countries).

It is in the heart of Myers Park, an affluent and beautiful part of town. I know a few people that attend and they seem to enjoy it. McColl, of Bank of America and Nationsbank fame has invested a great deal of money into the school.

Yea, just by going through the online virtual tour, I could tell there is a good deal of money floating around the place. Thanks for the info.

It was originally a women's college. Some people trace it back and say the original charter was during royal times, and the predecessor to Davidson was for boys and the predecessor to Queen's college was for girls. I'm not sure how true that is, but I have read that.

You can glean some of that from the wiki article.

Wow,77% of the school's population are women.

I seem to recall it went all co-ed in the 80's or late 70's (someone please correct me) but I'm surprised that it still has a high ratio towards women. Whereas Winthrop, a past women's college is roughly 50/50 from my understanding (again - please correct me).

To answer the question - the campus area is beautiful, incredible inner-suburban neighborhood with the most incredible tree canopy you will likely ever see. Academically I don't know much, but I recall the college was never looked down upon, but was generally respected.

Queens history for most of the 20th century in Charlotte was that it was a place where Southern debutantes went to be "finished" prior to marrying a Southern gentleman of proper background. This probably existed until the 60s when society and especially Southern society went through big upheavals. Women became much less willing to play the roles that had been pre-ordained for them which really hurt places like Queens. Queens found itself in dire straits in the 70s and was forced to go co-ed and adopt a more progressive stance towards education in order to survive financially. While it is a very beautiful campus, I would not hold it in high regard in terms of getting a good education.

There are a lot better options for any degree for one living in NC.

I seem to recall it went all co-ed in the 80's or late 70's (someone please correct me) but I'm surprised that it still has a high ratio towards women. Whereas Winthrop, a past women's college is roughly 50/50 from my understanding (again - please correct me).

To answer the question - the campus area is beautiful, incredible inner-suburban neighborhood with the most incredible tree canopy you will likely ever see. Academically I don't know much, but I recall the college was never looked down upon, but was generally respected.

http://www.winthrop.edu/admissions/wu/facts.htm

Winthrop still has two girls for every guy. Its things like this that really make me miss college haha.

Queens history for most of the 20th century in Charlotte was that it was a place where Southern debutantes went to be "finished" prior to marrying a Southern gentleman of proper background. This probably existed until the 60s when society and especially Southern society went through big upheavals. Women became much less willing to play the roles that had been pre-ordained for them which really hurt places like Queens. Queens found itself in dire straits in the 70s and was forced to go co-ed and adopt a more progressive stance towards education in order to survive financially. While it is a very beautiful campus, I would not hold it in high regard in terms of getting a good education.

There are a lot better options for any degree for one living in NC.

I'll tell my mom that my grandparents wasted their money by sending her there.

I'll tell my mom that my grandparents wasted their money by sending her there.

Hey, the guy asked for opinions and I offered mine based on what I know about the place and that includes being friends with one of the professors there. So far the only thing I have seen posted in this thread is that is is in a pretty setting and lots of women go there.

My assumption that anyone wanting to pay the money that it takes to go to a private college these days, and the reason this topic was started, will at least want to know a bit more than this. Queens is a very small school located in a desirable neighborhood in Charlotte that does not have much access to state of the art facilities, many of its buildings are really old and could use some updating, it is not nationally known, and I question the relevance of some of its courses. (especially technical ones). Sure Hugh McColl has his name on the business school. Is that important enough to go there? I don't think so.

The determination of whether it is a waste of money or not of course depends upon one's reason for going to a university in the first place. Queens will obviously fit the needs for some. If you want to be helpful in this thread, maybe you could post some reasons on why it wasn't a waste of time and money for your grandparents.

Well, metro, maybe one clue would be her success as an educational administrator (35 years, now retired). Have another friend who graduated from Cornell (with honors) and came to Queens in 1992 to get a teaching degree in English. He's still here and says his education at Queens equaled that of the one he received at Cornell. I have another friend who graduated from Queens in 1978 and now teaches at Yale.

Is it a great school? Its not Harvard, Brown, Yale or Dartmouth, but saying you can't get a good education there is simply not true. It is a good small liberal arts college with a healthy endowment, and good one-on-one instruction.

As for ratios of M:F, it is a national trend that women are now significantly more likely to go and stay in college. Most schools have a higher ratio of women, and that is even more true of tradionally women's colleges.

As for finishing schools and all that, it is very true, but it is very complicated to tie modern value judgements to cultures of prior generations. In the past, women were expected to raise the next generation, and to support men in the professional world. Education for women focused on helping them be successful as mothers and wives. That type of education seems silly in our modern day world, as we primarly see education as preparing everyone for the workplace and contributing to the GDP. But education women to be excellent mothers and wives was the cultural equilibrium of the time, and had pros and cons just like our current situation. In the culture of the early 20th century, maybe most women weren't self-actualized and the GDP didn't benefit from the work of half the country, but there wasn't the same problem with divorce and teenage gangs, etc.

Queens is an good, small, private liberal arts university. It has for nine consecutive years ranked in the top tier of US News "Best Colleges" report in its cohort of southern masters-level universities (meaning those institutions that offer several masters programs, but few or no doctoral programs). There are 131 institutions in this category, so a ranking in the top 30 is pretty darn good. UNCC and Queens usually rank very close to each other, even though by nature they are quite different in size. US New and World Report's methodology is very complex and often debated, but it is one of the most commonly referenced. Over the last 10 years, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has awarded Queens' faculty "NC Professor of the Year" four times - that is more than any other institution in NC, public or private.

Queens has been co-ed since 1987. They have some international students, but it's usually about 5% of the student body or less. There is an international study program for undergraduate students that has one of the highest participation rates in the US - 90% of students study abroad or participate in international study tours as opposed to a national average of 9%. The total number of students is about 2200. Of those, there are about 900 in the traditional daytime undergraduate program. Of those, about 80% come from states other than NC. The rest of the student body is in the six graduate programs and evening undergraduate program. They do have a significant nursing school as well. They recently acquired Presbyterian Hospital's RN diploma program and converted the curriculum to an Associate of Science in Nursing. It is the only university in the region where you can get all three levels of nursing degrees - ASN, BSN, and MSN. The MBA program was their first graduate program and is named in honor of Hugh McColl who was a benefactor of the business school and chairman of the University's board of trustees for many years.

What makes a school a better fit for one student may not be true for another. But I think if you're looking for a small, private university with a great faculty and curriculum located in a thriving city, it's worth looking at.

All I know is, if you are staying on campus, you are in for a really nice living arrangement in the student apartmens.

I dunno what student apartments you are talking about I've dated a number of girls at Queens College, and been friends with many people (all women, interesting enough), and the dorms were horrible, but then again I went to scad where our dorm room was 25x12, and had its own bathroom

As a kid I also attended Brian Adrian Basketball camp, and a number of other programs, where the dorms were involved, the living situation is just like any other college, but one things for sure, its better than NCSTATE, I attended design school there for a short period of time (didn't like the program) and the dorms were horrible

. It is the only university in the region where you can get all three levels of nursing degrees - ASN, BSN, and MSN.

That is not true. You can get all three degrees at UNCC and at far lower cost if you are a NC resident. I know this to be fact as I have several friends that have masters of nursing degrees from UNCC.

And I also know that Davidson offers at least the ASN and BSN degrees. CPCC offers the ASN degree which is the requirement to become a RN in NC and at bargain basement prices. Their clinical program is highly regarded.

I dunno what student apartments you are talking about I've dated a number of girls at Queens College, and been friends with many people (all women, interesting enough), and the dorms were horrible, ......

Indeed. As I mentioned earlier, many of the buildings at Queens are fairly rundown especially once you go inside them.

enjoy the college it has a beautiful campus in a beautiful location, it is an okay college, its not the best one in north carolina, and it is no where close to the worst, my grandmother too went there, and she is on the board and has a building named after her, she thinks the college is a great school, and I think it is worth your while as far as exploration goes.

Archived