Queens University

ncguy06

i went there as well...... pre-school in 1978-80. i remember old buildings, nice trees, and naps. the guy-girl ratio must have been the same b/c i also remember a circle of young ladies, watching, as i showed them i had learned to tie my shoes.

hey, ncguy. i hope your visit to charlotte is a pleasant one.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is not true. You can get all three degrees at UNCC and at far lower cost if you are a NC resident. I know this to be fact as I have several friends that have masters of nursing degrees from UNCC.

And I also know that Davidson offers at least the ASN and BSN degrees. CPCC offers the ASN degree which is the requirement to become a RN in NC and at bargain basement prices. Their clinical program is highly regarded.

I think you misunderstood me. It is the only school in the region that offers all three degrees at the same institution. Also, you cannot get an Associate of Science in Nursing at UNCC.

Davidson offers some pre-med courses, but does not have a nursing department or major.

I just got accepted to both UNCC and Queens. I love both schools even though one is private ($) and the other is public (very large) i just dont know which one to pick though, but either one suits me just fine.

I got accepted to UNCC too, the only problem is the location, and the strip malls surrounding the University make it worse. Wouldn't it be awesome if UNCC was uptown?!

I have said this theory of mine before, but I think it applies here too. I think the reputation of Queen's University benefits greatly by being in one of the most attractive and lush sections of the city. Somehow, you have a feeling you'll be as rich as the people in Myer's Park if you go there. :).

It doesn't hurt their fundraising to have those people as neighbors.

Indeed. As I mentioned earlier, many of the buildings at Queens are fairly rundown especially once you go inside them.

When was the last time you were on the campus? Several of the buildings at Queens are brand new or recently renovated within the last few years and quite beautiful inside, such as the Sykes Learning Center. The South Dorm (just renamed Wireman Hall in honor of the late president) is also just a couple of years old and has apartment-style dorms. The library was renovated inside and out about 4 years ago. Over a half million dollars in renovations and ADA access projects in the oldest buildings (circa 1914) were just completed last summer. There is still more work and multiple new building projects on the drawing board. I have been on many college and university campuses, and I have never seen one where every single building looked new and flawless.

I think you misunderstood me. It is the only school in the region that offers all three degrees at the same institution. Also, you cannot get an Associate of Science in Nursing at UNCC.

Actually CPCC works in conjunction with UNCC for the 2 year degree in Nursing via their joint Pathways program. UNCC is not a 2 year school. Anyone with a 2 year degree in Nursing from CPCC can xfer into the bachelors program at UNCC with little effort and then enter into UNCC's various masters programs in nursing. And those programs are much more extensive than what you can get at Queens. Queens single master of nursing is focused on the business aspects of nursing. At UNCC you can get the this as well as a dozen technical degrees such as Nurse Anesteasia, Family Practioner, etc. Anyone that is interested in a degree in Nursing, as I mentioned earlier have much better options of going to UNCC/CPCC.

Actually CPCC works in conjunction with UNCC for the 2 year degree in Nursing via their joint Pathways program. UNCC is not a 2 year school. Anyone with a 2 year degree in Nursing from CPCC can xfer into the bachelors program at UNCC with little effort and then enter into UNCC's various masters programs in nursing. And those programs are much more extensive than what you can get at Queens. Queens single master of nursing is focused on the business aspects of nursing. At UNCC you can get the this as well as a dozen technical degrees such as Nurse Anesteasia, Family Practioner, etc. Anyone that is interested in a degree in Nursing, as I mentioned earlier have much better options of going to UNCC/CPCC.

A school the size of Queens can't try to be everything to everybody; they have to be more specialized. Some students go to Queens for their MSN because they want to pursue healthcare administration. If someone wants to go into a different specialization, then I'm glad UNCC offers some. I am simply affirming the observation that Queens is known for having a significant nursing program. The acquistion of Presbyterian Hospital's school of nursing (a nearly 100 year old diploma program that was about to be closed down) added another option for students who wish to start work as a RN more quickly with an ASN and then pursue a BSN later, perhaps even at the same school on the same physical campus with many of the same faculty.

There is a severe national shortage of nurses that continues to worsen as the baby-boom generation ages, so for any institution to try to help meet the demand for education in this field should not be derided.

*Cost of tuition only at area private liberal arts institutions for 2005-06:

Belmont Abbey College $16,726

Davidson College $28,667

Gardner Webb University $16,130

Johnson & Wales University $20,100

Lenior Rhyne College $18,900

Pfeiffer University $15,590

Queens University $18,028

Wingate University $16,850

Looks like Queens is right in line with everyone else, except Davidson.

*All data from US News and World Report.

Private and public school are definitely a very different price tage. Obviously there is perceived value in going to a private school, or they wouldn't exist. Also, for most private schools, (and probably for public schools, too), there are grants and scholarships available that reduce the tuition. Schools with high tuitions also tend to give discounts (by way of grants) in higher numbers.

A fair comparison would be to look at someone seeking a Nursing degree in Charlotte. The Schools compare as follows:

(from school web sites)

• CPCC - $1,096 - instate

• UNCC - $1,776 - instate

• Queens - $19,450

This is not an accurate, fair, or informed comparison.

The price you have above is for comprehensive tuition for a full-time student in the College of Arts and Sciences for an entire year. As is true with most private schools, over 90% of students do not actually pay that much out of pocket. Financial aid makes a huge difference. There are over 300 different named scholarships at Queens that are awarded based on various criteria of need and merit. Some are largely endowed and funded for perpetuity to supplement multiple students, and some are annual gifts. Additionally, a full-time NC resident automatically gets a $1800 Legislative Tuition Grant from the state for tuition at any NC private school, and students may also qualify for the NC Student Incentive Grant. Based on federal need methodology, students can also qualify for Pell Grants, the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, etc..

The tuition rate for local students not living on campus and attending through the Presbyterian School of Nursing at Queens (ASN) or Hayworth College at Queens (BSN) is $290 per credit hour. A full-time 12 credit-hour load would $3480 per semester. Institutional aid is proportionately less, but all the other financial aid criteria is the same.

Also, I forgot to mention the multitude of outside scholarships from various business and civic organizations that exist. I have seen bright students who proactively sought them out come through with four or five of these or more and not pay a dime of their own money.

This is not an accurate, fair, or informed comparison.

The price you have above is for comprehensive tuition for a full-time student in the College of Arts and Sciences for an entire year. As is true with most private schools, over 90% of students do not actually pay that much out of pocket. Financial aid makes a huge difference. There are over 300 different named scholarships at Queens that are awarded based on various criteria of need and merit. Some are largely endowed and funded for perpetuity to supplement multiple students, and some are annual gifts. Additionally, a full-time NC resident automatically gets a $1800 Legislative Tuition Grant from the state for tuition at any NC private school, and students may also qualify for the NC Student Incentive Grant. Based on federal need methodology, students can also qualify for Pell Grants, the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, etc..

The tuition rate for local students not living on campus and attending through the Presbyterian School of Nursing at Queens (ASN) or Hayworth College at Queens (BSN) is $290 per credit hour. A full-time 12 credit-hour load would $3480 per semester. Institutional aid is proportionately less, but all the other financial aid criteria is the same.

Also, I forgot to mention the multitude of outside scholarships from various business and civic organizations that exist. I have seen bright students who proactively sought them out come through with four or five of these or more and not pay a dime of their own money.

Are you saying that people at public universities don't get financial aid? If not then it is a very fair comparison.

Actually there are very similar grants available to NC residents that attend public Universities as well in NC. And some of those that you list are available to anyone going to any school. I have a good friend that just became a NP, from UNCC and didn't pay ANY tuition for this degree. State grants took care of all of it. The numbers I gave above are very fair as it is an apples to apples comparison of the cost of getting a Nursing degree at 3 different Charlotte institutions that offer it.

In regards to the students attending through the Presbytarian School of Nursing, the rate of $6960/year is still significantly higher than the schools listed above.

Is it even a debate that public schools are significantly less expensive than private schools if you are a resident of that state?

College choices aren't purely about numbers. Even if the private school is discounted significantly, it still might be two or three times more expensive than a similarly discounted public school tuition. The benefits of private school are typically the smaller size. Generally speaking, private schools also lack the some of the bureacracy and mediocrity that is more likely to develop when organizations don't work hard to get funding. Private schools must constantly be proving themselves to gain donors, grants, and students at high tuition. That is not to say that public schools are bad in any way, but there are some risks.

Personally, I think high tuition is good. It helps give resources to organizations that build knowledge, culture, and economic stimuli in a way that reduces the reliance on taxes. But it also helps to motivate graduates to be successful in the marketplace, because they have a large loan to pay off. If they are successful, then it is a nice deduction, too :).

UNC system schools are definitely a good value, though, if you're in state, and even a good value if you are out of state (I paid out of state tuition for four years at Chapel Hill). But the process of choosing a college is much more complex than simply looking at the numbers.

Why just look at nursing at Queens?

Maybe because the guy who is seeking opinions did not ask about Davidson nor subjects that are not taught at Queens. Since people kept bringing up nursing as one of the virtues of going to Queen's university, and simply could not accept my contention there are better options for schooling I provided the pricing of getting a nursing degree there vs other institutions in Charlotte.

Your posts keep disappearing as you keep wanting to start up an argument with anyone, mainly me, who don't share your opinion of Queens. I've already spent considerable time eliminating the nonsense from this thread and I am not going to let it devolve back into more squabbling. The party asking the question should be able to come to UrbanPlanet and get the opinions of anyone both positive and negative which is why this forum is here.

My point about tuition at private vs. public schools is simply that:

1)Sometimes it does cost more, and for some students it's worth it to them.

2)When financial aid and scholarships are factored in, the difference in price is not nearly as great as some people make it out to be, and in many cases it does not cost more at all.

The subject of nursing programs simply came up in the description of the type of institution Queens is. Among its other degree programs, Queens has had a nursing program for a very long time. My aunt got a BSN there in the '50s before CPCC existed and the predecessor of UNCC was just getting started as a 2-year night school operating out of Central High. I'm sure that if it had ceased to have relevance or value then students wouldn't be there and it would no longer be able to maintain its accreditation.

I went to Queens and enjoyed every minute.

One key aspect missing in the threads about the Queens institution is class size. My classes had an average of 7 students. Try skipping class or not contributing in discussions... the instructor knows when you are not present or don't comprehend the material. Many large institutions treat students as a number. I had lunch and dinner with nearly all my professors. I also had the pleasure to dine with former president, Dr. Wireman, nearly every week. The one on one relationship that can be built on the campus with fellow students and professors cannot be matched.

The biggest class I can remember having at Queens was about 25 students. Most of my classes, especially in the 300-400 level, had about 6-12 students and were held in conference-style classrooms. One of my professors who has been there a long time has a large office with plenty of upholstered furniture - he would often just have our class of 8 in there. This same professor is also known to have marched an entire class into a residence hall to wake up a student who skipped one time too many. :lol:

Archived