Considering relocating to Grand Rapids?

GRDadof3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh, I'm so excited to hear about Planeteers moving out of the suburbs to the city. The city of Grand Rapids welcomes you!

You'll be happy to know GRGridGril I finally put my money where my mouth is and made a big investment in downtown today. Not packing up the kids quite yet :P but a huge step for the fam :thumbsup:

You'll be happy to know GRGridGril I finally put my money where my mouth is and made a big investment in downtown today. Not packing up the kids quite yet :P but a huge step for the fam :thumbsup:

Well, well, well Daddy. This is a big step: out into the inky abyss; embracing the chaos. Wearing the Urban Planet badge on your forehead. What are your old suburban friends going to think?

Well I am planning to make my move out of Greenville into Grand Rapids sometime hopefully this summer...I put it off last year because of some issues...but I'm ready to move in!

Hopefully all works out, I'm doing the job hunting right now... :shok:

Holy God! I think we're staring into the eyes of a 'trend'!!!

I really do enjoy this site and I'm slowly but surely embrassing Grand Rapids. My wife and move here from Raleigh, NC about a year ago. It was tough at first, I felt Grand Rapids wasn't really our style, and we were real close to packing our bags and heading west. But we decided to give the city a fair chance and we have met some really cool people and are letting the things flow right now. We bought a Union Square condo and can't wait to move in.

I've thought about taking a peek into the Union Square condos, but I think I might want to rent first just to play it safe; And I guess if I rent around for a couple of years and see which area I like the most, I'll try to get something permanent. But when Tall House gets built, I might have to take a look into that :) That looks like it would be fun to live in.

And don't get me wrong, I like Greenville and I think it is expanding progressively (if not really rapid)...if I wanted to be a suburban type of guy I would choose to live here. But I told my parents from the get go, I don't want to live in the woods lol. I'm starting to dislike my apartment, it is very cheaply built (1" walls and floors I can hear everything that goes on), in this new 100 million dollar development that they're making here. The condos are very nice, but around 200k, a little overpriced for the area if you ask me.

That, and of course there is SO much in GR to do compared to where I live now, I would be much happier in downtown. Then I can complain about traffic on a daily basis! :)

I've thought about taking a peek into the Union Square condos, but I think I might want to rent first just to play it safe; And I guess if I rent around for a couple of years and see which area I like the most, I'll try to get something permanent. But when Tall House gets built, I might have to take a look into that :) That looks like it would be fun to live in.

And don't get me wrong, I like Greenville and I think it is expanding progressively (if not really rapid)...if I wanted to be a suburban type of guy I would choose to live here. But I told my parents from the get go, I don't want to live in the woods lol. I'm starting to dislike my apartment, it is very cheaply built (1" walls and floors I can hear everything that goes on), in this new 100 million dollar development that they're making here. The condos are very nice, but around 200k, a little overpriced for the area if you ask me.

That, and of course there is SO much in GR to do compared to where I live now, I would be much happier in downtown. Then I can complain about traffic on a daily basis! :)

You should look at putting in a reservation at Tall House. They've already started running ads. You've got construction time so you don't have to close right away, and you should be able to lock in pre-construction pricing. And no, I don't work for Sam Cummings :rofl:

Hey guys, where is Union Square?

What is that big, red place along 131 and the rail roads south of the CBD? It has a pretty big library and other things in the complex from my understanding. Isn't this around Hall Street? Is this Union Square or is that something different?

Hey guys, where is Union Square?

What is that big, red place along 131 and the rail roads south of the CBD? It has a pretty big library and other things in the complex from my understanding. Isn't this around Hall Street? Is this Union Square or is that something different?

That's the Union Station development that is owned by Robert Grooters:

http://www.rgdc.com/html/grooters_best.html

Union Square is that school they are adding two floors to right where 131 and I-196 meet by Bridgewater Place.

You should look at putting in a reservation at Tall House. They've already started running ads. You've got construction time so you don't have to close right away, and you should be able to lock in pre-construction pricing. And no, I don't work for Sam Cummings :rofl:

As much as I would love to...I don't make enough to afford one yet LOL Otherwise I'd jump all over it

All of this is great to hear!

I live in Heritage Hill, not technically downtown but close.

I love living so close to the dt area...it takes me only 17 minutes to walk to work and 20 minutes to walk home.

I hope someday I can do all of my business downtown; groceries, clothes, etc. Not that I don't like the suburbs but I really believe in the downtown urban area. Someday when there is a light rail out to Woodland Mall, maybe that will encourage me to venture out there.

Archived